Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front used local civilian employees in its orbital production facility known as Prosperity Station? Read more about it here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: World Of Darkness  (Read 2785 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
World Of Darkness
« on: 25 Mar 2012, 22:08 »

So here's an interesting bit: During their presentation apparently it was mentioned that the players will be able to elect the 'prince' of each city, and that player would have the ability to permanently kill other characters.  Yup, Permadeath. 

That sounds incredibly interesting for RP potential... but this being elections I doubt RPers would have enough sway to swing elections.  IE think if the people voting for CSM were electing people to have the power to permakill players... ugh.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: World Of Darkness
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2012, 02:30 »

I think they are working from the mindset that somehow their WoD playerbase will be more mature and capable of having a set way of playing the game.

Instead of having a playerbase of random people that have interest in vampires that use the internet, also trolls.

All you need is Goons taking over one corner of the WoD and start to break the immersion and the whole thing goes tits up.

Also, in the spectrum of roleplayers the Vampire players are from the end that is closest to the histrionic and self centered part of the whole population. It may be for the reason that roleplaying a vampire can very easily be a Mary Sue which means that the player will consider the character to be a real extension of themselves, part of the process that makes it even more real for the player is the fact that for some people there is sexuality thrown into the mix which makes the IC/OOC divide even less.

On the permadeath thing... it is one of the ways that in WoD the prince actually can enforce her power. If you have the death sentence on your head, you can always leave the princes domain and go live somewhere where his enemies live. It will be used to keep the trouble makers out, especially the kind that do it purposefully and with malice, agents of their enemies. Paranoia is a big part of being a vampire, because mistakes cost your life, and usually a vampire wants to exist forever.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2012, 13:52 »

Of course, it will slightly depend on if they do the whole shardless thing again.  Any word on that?  The last news I had, WoD was being accused of being vaporware... greatly relieved that they're releasing new stuff about it.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2012, 01:13 »

Single shard. Multiple cities with social areas, sandbox districts and PvE mission areas.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #5 on: 05 Mar 2013, 14:56 »

Princes can issue permadeath?

Yessssssssssssssss
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #6 on: 05 Mar 2013, 15:10 »

At the price of being targets for it themselves it seems.  It is going to be tough at the top.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #7 on: 05 Mar 2013, 15:20 »

This is as it should be, for Vampire.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 Mar 2013, 17:35 »

This is as it should be, for Vampire.

Well. It should be that you spend a good chunk of your time worrying about all the other supernatural groups that can wipe the floor with you. Or at least it seemed to me that was the case in the old WoD. But then I do have an admitted bias towards Mage and Werewolf play myself.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Zakar Shazih

« Reply #9 on: 06 Mar 2013, 04:08 »

Has any game ever been successful with permadeath?

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #10 on: 06 Mar 2013, 04:33 »

For various definitions of "successful" - yes, actually, although they're quite niche games, all.

It works very poorly with the "standard" mass market MMO model, or even some of the more "pure" online roleplaying models that depend on the players' sense of achievement and belonging being linked to a character that can be the (literal) work of (literal) years.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #11 on: 06 Mar 2013, 04:35 »

Has any game ever been successful with permadeath?

Quite a few. Have any MMOs been successful with it? None have even tried it, to my knowledge.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #12 on: 06 Mar 2013, 04:40 »

I'm hoping disease and sickness has something for the Vampires that causes them to sparkle.

On that note there's a hole in my cheek where my tongue went through.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #13 on: 06 Mar 2013, 04:58 »

I'm hoping disease and sickness has something for the Vampires that causes them to sparkle.

On that note there's a hole in my cheek where my tongue went through.

So what you are saying is you want Vicissitude for sparkles, tongue and hole.  :lol:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 06 Mar 2013, 07:33 »

I wouldnt be very happy to see a character I started to care for to be permakilled by some jackass that got elected by trolls.
Pages: [1] 2