Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small colony hangars cannot have comprehensive hangar security systems due to the need to scramble forces quickly? (The Burning Life p. 78)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: You are not a Storyteller  (Read 2394 times)

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
Re: You are not a Storyteller
« Reply #15 on: 08 Feb 2011, 03:46 »

I've only come up with railroading in player RP'ing once and after a long and boring conversation, I realised that some people do like to have a predetermined idea of what should happen.
My partner calls it NPD, I call it bad RP.
I agree with you in that my default mode of RP and what I enjoy most is not having an idea of where we'll end up to.

However, I'd have to say that not all RP where there is a desired outcome explicitly put out is bad. Sometimes you manage to play yourself into a corner and need to have something happen to get you out of it, and in those cases I think figuring out what would need to happen for your character or her situation to change in a way that made playing enjoyable again, and then purposefully playing towards that, is quite fine.

I strongly prefer people with such purposes to share them with me beforehand, though, and ask me to co-operate in steering the story, rather than hitting me on the head with rails.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #16 on: 08 Feb 2011, 04:44 »

However, I'd have to say that not all RP where there is a desired outcome explicitly put out is bad. Sometimes you manage to play yourself into a corner and need to have something happen to get you out of it, and in those cases I think figuring out what would need to happen for your character or her situation to change in a way that made playing enjoyable again, and then purposefully playing towards that, is quite fine.
Yes, but this was pure, unadulterated God-moding. It wasn't pretty and this certain vollspasti hit the break pretty hard and demanded we did what they wished.
I kinda wish I'd done what Dossie would've - what she was going to do - instead of caving. Live and learn.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 08 Feb 2011, 06:02 »

Yep, I've seen the bad sort too, and don't defend it at all. Wasn't pretty, either.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2011, 14:28 »

...It definitely conflicts with my primary view that roleplaying is a cooperative story telling venture. I'll have to study it to see where it stacks up.

What I thought the author was trying to get across is that roleplaying is a cooperative story telling venture. When you roleplay, however, you are not a storyteller, and you cant direct "your story" in the direction you want it to take, especially in a MMO. Tabletop is another thing altogether.

If you want to write a story, write a story and post it on a fiction forum. Also, on another note, I think a lot of what some people try to accomplish though roleplaying would be best done as a piece of fiction.
Pages: 1 [2]