Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That crews from destroyed capsuleer ships make up a substantial part of Blood Raider harvests? (The Burning Life, p. 59)

Author Topic: Dev Blog: CSM 8 Election Process  (Read 874 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Dev Blog: CSM 8 Election Process
« on: 21 Feb 2013, 06:37 »

Original Blog: http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=74283

CSM8 Elections – Schedule and Election Process

The time has come for a new Council of Stellar Management (CSM) term. "What is the CSM?|" you might ask. It is a democratically elected player council that both represents the community and is an advisory body to CCP that provides valuable information regarding changes and updates to EVE. You can read more about the CSM on EVElopedia.

The Council of Stellar Management elections are on the horizon, and we will be making some significant changes to the election process this year.

Our previous “likes” based candidacy system is gone and a new and improved Pre-election system will ensure that only serious candidates with significant support make it onto the final ballot. Candidates will submit applications and the ones that meet the election requirements will be entered into a Pre-Election Ballot. Every subscriber to EVE Online will then have a single vote per account to cast in support of a candidate. These votes will then be tallied and candidates that receives 200 or more votes will qualify to be added to the final election ballot. If less than 28 candidates meet this threshold, the next highest ranking candidates will be added until 28 candidates make the final ballot. We will also be releasing the results of this election for those looking to use it in their decision making for the final election.

The election proper is also using a new format this year. We will be moving to a Single Transferable Vote (STV) based voting system where instead of voting for a single candidate, each voter will pick their top 14 favorite candidates and rank them from 1 to 14.  Initially, each vote will be placed on the candidate listed as 1st, but if found unnecessary either because the candidate has more than enough to make the top 14 or if they cannot make top 14 under any circumstances, then the vote will transfer to the candidate listed 2nd.  This continues until the vote is exhausted or needed for a candidate to succeed.  The exact method used for calculating this vote distribution will be announced and released to the public for review before the start of the Election.

Additionally, this year the CSM chairman and summit attendees will no longer be solely decided by the number of votes the 14 CSMs receive in the election. Instead, the 14 victorious candidates will vote to choose all of their internal positions including chairman, vice-chairman, secretary, etc. The summit attendees will use a new 2+5 system, with CCP and the CSM working together to pick the 5 hardest working and most feature relevant CSMs being flown to each summit and the final 2 attendees will be the "most preferred" candidates, chosen by reentering the election results into an STV election to select the top 2 candidates. We feel that this system ensures that the CSM will have their hardest working CSMs at our summits in Iceland and that a person’s work as a CSM member is always more important than just gathering votes.

Finally, let’s talk about this year’s election schedule. Here it is:

-          21st of February: announcing the CSM8 elections and the updated rules

-          12th – 20th of March: candidacy application period

-          22nd – 29th of March: Pre-Election

-          3rd – 17th of April: Announcement of final ballot and Election

-          27th of April: Election result announcement

Here is a new copy of the much famed CSM White-Paper listing all these rules and more courtesy of CCP Xhagen.

Easiest Dev Blog ever, ty Dolan for keeping the formatting to a minimum  :D

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
Re: Dev Blog: CSM 8 Election Process
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2013, 07:05 »

Preferential voting is used in our general elections, and I think it is A Good Thing, so I'm very happy to see this.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2013, 07:14 »

This convoluted new election system makes me all confused.

Every subscriber to EVE Online will then have a single vote per account to cast in support of a candidate.

So, the more accounts you have, and thus, the more money you inject into CCP, your vote holds more weight. Why, yes, of course.

Nothing new anyway here.

These votes will then be tallied and candidates that receives 200 or more votes will qualify to be added to the final election ballot.

Ah good, so the biggest your alliance is, the safest are your chances to get passed that formality, when smaller candidates with smaller social groups will have to sweat and struggle to be qualified.

Still sounds completely fair, as usual.

We will be moving to a Single Transferable Vote (STV) based voting system where instead of voting for a single candidate, each voter will pick their top 14 favorite candidates and rank them from 1 to 14.

We could also rate the top 100 as well, while we are at it ? I could understand the intention behind if it was the 4-5 people you prefer (which is widely enough), but 14 ?

And do we have to choose 14 of them ? What a hassle.

Or can we just pick one up and get out with it ? So that no risk of favoring anyone else ?

I am not even willing to comment on the rest, which is awfully convoluted and obscure. Nothing new here too.

While I understand what they tried to do here, like helping out challenger candidates, their method actually kicks every outsider in the butt.

Moreover, the inherent complicatedness behind the process will probably not help either to interest the 90% of non voters that already do not bother to do so with a very simple system.

I would have liked a preferential system that makes more sense and less wtf/obscure.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2013, 07:17 by Lyn Farel »

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2013, 07:32 »

The exact mechanics are still under discussion and the question of 'all 14' or 'up to fourteen' has already been raised, so head on over the comments section of the blog kala linked and tell CCP what you think should happen.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2013, 07:34 »

The exact mechanics are still under discussion and the question of 'all 14' or 'up to fourteen' has already been raised, so head on over the comments section of the blog kala linked and tell CCP what you think should happen.

Direct link to said thread can be found here

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2013, 08:40 »

I am too jaded about the CSM concept for that. :3

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2013, 08:02 »

I've actually found myself somewhat tempted to vote for Mynnna this year. Although Hans...
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2013, 08:07 »

I've actually found myself somewhat tempted to vote for Mynnna this year. Although Hans...

... is not running for a second term, last time I heard?

Mynnna seems fairly level-headed, but I'd rather see a full list of candidates before I start making calls on who I'll throw into the priority list. :P

(I'd contemplated running myself, but meh. Too much time and effort to organize a campaign, and I kinda like -playing- EVE with what spare time I have for it. :P)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.