Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The nation of Jin-Mei is the latest addition to the Federation? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: The Colelie/Broteau arc  (Read 7926 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: The Colelie/Broteau arc
« Reply #60 on: 13 Aug 2013, 13:07 »

Lyn is starting to seriously lose faith in CONCORD with these series of arcs recently, first, the attack on Yulai, no retaliation on the Elders, then the battle of CP, and now that... They almost look like spineless ammatars.

I'm starting to wonder if i'm weirdly drawn to spineless, vegetable, factions.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #61 on: 13 Aug 2013, 13:18 »

I'll be honest the lack of spine in CONCORD as of late has really irked both Cael ICly and myself OOCly.

Declaring general "state of emergency" (Aka: Fuck it, you're on your own *throws shit in the air and walks off) or being late to the party and merely there to mop up the wreckage has made them look utterly incompetent.

I want to see CONCORD wade into the middle of one of these encounters and either give the almighty smackdown to whichever faction steps out of line, or (more fun) drop a fleet of battleships in and actively engage in a fight.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #62 on: 13 Aug 2013, 16:03 »

I too wish to see CONCORD smack a bitch.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #63 on: 13 Aug 2013, 16:35 »

On top of what has been mentioned, one thing that really bugs me is when you have acknowledged enemies of CONCORD in local openly broadcasting how they are using the events to further their goals, at times even mocking CONCORD actors for not interfering... and who then face zero interference. Not a suspect flag, not a sec status drop, nothing.

tl;dr in my eyes from the last several posts: Whether it is the Republic or CONCORD, failing to respond to events in a meaningful manner makes them appear really, really stupid. This not productive to RP. This should stop.

If only it were that easy.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #64 on: 13 Aug 2013, 18:38 »

CONCORD ships die just as well as those of any other faction, it's their jove-teleport mcguffin cyno hotdrop that allows them to police effectively.

IE just because they show up at an event doesn't mean they might not get blasted to constituent atoms. 

...in other words I too would love them to actually show up but be wtfbbqd for not showing up fast enough or in high enough numbers to an escalating event.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #65 on: 14 Aug 2013, 04:29 »

I don't really care if they lose or die, at least they do something.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #66 on: 14 Aug 2013, 04:57 »

Hey, I'd love to see it come out that CONCORD is the shadowy hand behind the recent conflicts between the Federation and the Republic.

Think about it.

Step 1)  Alienate the Republic from its most powerful ally
Step 2)  Stomp on any budding relationship between the Republic and the State (arrange for "Matari terrorists" to take over a Caldari station in the Republic, anyone?)
Step 3)  Fan the flames of conflict until open war begins to break out between the Republic, the Federation and the State --- and the situation's so bad that the Amarr are counseling mercy for the people of the Republic, because any situation where the Feds and the State put aside their own differences to team up against a common enemy is a pretty damn bad one.
Step 4)  Step in.  Effectively take over the Republic as part of a peacekeeping/rebuilding exercise.  For extra bonus points, be the only entity that the people of the Republic will trust to do so.
Step 5)  Piss on the Elders' graves.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2013, 04:58 by Vieve »

Shiori

« Reply #67 on: 14 Aug 2013, 05:23 »

The pissing is best done after the tap-dancing, for obvious reasons.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #68 on: 14 Aug 2013, 10:13 »

This is my perception of the whole situation as it currently stands:

I honestly think that Roden has been complicit in terms of the attack on Colelie. I wouldn't be surprised if, as the 'Matari unrest' continues and acts of terrorism increase, Roden will attempt to enact an emergency act that keeps him in power either by suppressing who is allowed to vote in the upcoming election or effectively placing the election on hold till the 'problem' is dealt with. Given that Blaque and his Eagles will need support from high up to continue to exist as a 'Home Security Directive' I wouldn't be surprised if he's not giving Roden aid in staying in power...a more moderate President would likely look at the Black Eagles with a much more keen eye and I don't think the organization or Blaque could survive an audit of their activities.

As a side note, despite the couple of events that have painted the Republic as being reckless and incompetent, I still get the feeling that for some reason the Federation is New Eden's red-headed step-child.  Everyone takes shots at the Federation, specifically the Gallente.  This leads me to speculate that the Federation is likely to cease to exist as a democratic and nominally tolerant nation.  Why? I just have the feeling that with the way current events are shaping up, the following could quite likely happen:
  • Roden wins the next election (or the election doesn't happen, see above as to why)
  • The Republic, faced with the 'cries of help from the oppressed Matari within Federation space' launch a serious and competent attack on the Federation to liberate these oppressed people
  • Depending on what happens with Caldari/Federation relations, I could easily see the Caldari taking such an attack as the opportunity to solidify and further take control of Caldari Prime itself
  • The Amarr...this really depends on a couple of things really...either they will take the opportunity to launch a Reclaiming against the Republic or ignore the Republic and seek to punish the Federation given how heathen and decadent the Gallente are
I realize that conflict is important to story and game...however, the fact that it appears that anyone and everyone has free reign to piss on the Federation without fear of retaliation is bothersome to me.  Yes, we were able to defend ourselves at Colelie, but the fact that it happened in the first place and that absolutely nothing has come up high in response to the invasion kind of breaks the reality of the setting, in my opinion. Even if there were backroom deals done, it isn't realistic that the Senate hasn't said a word in two-three months.  I realize there may have been OOC reasons for the lack of response, but from an IC perspective, it shows the Federation has no spine and we'll just allow anyone to come into our yard and bully us around.

All of these things have actually been nagging me for some time now and making me second guess not only the ideas I have for Steffanie, the Order, but also make me wonder if I would have been better off playing a Caldari...cause apparently they seem to be the chosen ones at the moment (yes, I realize that you guys got the shaft with the whole Heth thing, but just coming in as a recent player, it does seem that the Caldari can do no wrong, the Amarr are tolerated, the Minmatar are...well, there are mixed signals I get with the Minnie, while Federation is the runt of the litter and therefore deserving of all the bad stuff).  I have had fun playing Steffanie, and will continue to do so; it just gets very tiresome. Conflict can lead to great development and stuff, but at the moment it just feels a bit too much and given my personality, I'm more likely to just want to go hide somewhere and pretend I'm not playing a Gallente character.

Again, I'm not trying to belittle the hardships other groups have gone through...I understand that Amarr have had issues due to both 'religious zealots' and 'here come the slavers' and lately the Minmatar have been thrown under the bus due to the apparent lack of competence shown by their leaders.  I'm just expressing my feelings at what I'm seeing and experiencing as player who started 3 months ago.

With all that said, I would like to see CONCORD grow a set of balls and actually take to task those who have abused the treaty (or just outright ignored it).  As it stands, CONCORD seems to be more like the League of Nations...a lot of bark but no bite.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #69 on: 14 Aug 2013, 10:48 »

[...]make me wonder if I would have been better off playing a Caldari...cause apparently they seem to be the chosen ones at the moment (yes, I realize that you guys got the shaft with the whole Heth thing, but just coming in as a recent player, it does seem that the Caldari can do no wrong, the Amarr are tolerated, the Minmatar are...well, there are mixed signals I get with the Minnie, while Federation is the runt of the litter and therefore deserving of all the bad stuff).  I have had fun playing Steffanie, and will continue to do so; it just gets very tiresome. Conflict can lead to great development and stuff, but at the moment it just feels a bit too much and given my personality, I'm more likely to just want to go hide somewhere and pretend I'm not playing a Gallente character.

Again, I'm not trying to belittle the hardships other groups have gone through...I understand that Amarr have had issues due to both 'religious zealots' and 'here come the slavers' and lately the Minmatar have been thrown under the bus due to the apparent lack of competence shown by their leaders.  I'm just expressing my feelings at what I'm seeing and experiencing as player who started 3 months ago.[...]

The grass is always greener on the other pastures.

Sure, it all depends on what you prefer, but having been in EVE for quite some time, that's what I concluded given that everyone is basically constantly complaining how bad off their chosen faction is, story-wise.

Also, EVE seems to be founded on the idea that conflict and only conflict keeps a story/thing interesting/worthwhile. To me this seems to be a neo-capitalist/social darwinist-ic brainfart, for lack of a better word.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #70 on: 17 Aug 2013, 11:40 »

Fed does seem really reactive at this point. No intrigue whatsoever. Mentas Blaque is apparently some racist in charge of a black ops, Roden is...well nobody knows who Roden is...there are no sympathetic characters in the Fed atm to relate to. It's just Blaque and Roden, and they pretty much seem interchangeable as far as the story goes.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #71 on: 18 Aug 2013, 04:41 »

Roden was interesting in that it is a scoundrel baron never hesitating to use dirty methods to further his agendas. That guy would sell his own mother for a little benefit. He has potential, just that his potential remains unexploited currently.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #72 on: 18 Aug 2013, 12:26 »

The Federation has always suffered from the fact that it has been a homogeneous mush for the longest time. There's some offhand remarks about various political factions within the Federation but we really haven't seen any sort of internal differentiation within the Federation, and even gross abuses like Eturrer's execution and the formation of the Black Eagles gets almost nothing in the way of protest by political factions within the Federation. It's extremely frustrating, because anyone who actually lives in a democracy knows that there are plenty of deep political and social differences between various groups.

The other factions don't suffer from this as much because they have some "natural" divisions that are more easily personified/generalized. The Caldari have their political factions and to a lesser extent their corporations, the Amarr have their Royal Houses, and the Minmatar have their tribes. The Gallente don't really have this, especially because their political parties are hardly defined at all. Can anyone tell me what a Progressive or a Social Democrat in the Federation believes? Their platforms are barely sketched out at all. What are Roden's policies like, aside from not nationalizing defense contractors?

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #73 on: 18 Aug 2013, 16:21 »

The Federation has always suffered from the fact that it has been a homogeneous mush for the longest time. There's some offhand remarks about various political factions within the Federation but we really haven't seen any sort of internal differentiation within the Federation, and even gross abuses like Eturrer's execution and the formation of the Black Eagles gets almost nothing in the way of protest by political factions within the Federation. It's extremely frustrating, because anyone who actually lives in a democracy knows that there are plenty of deep political and social differences between various groups.

One could get the impression that The Scope's near monopoly on Federation news might not be such a good thing.  After all, it's much easier for special interests to manipulate the flow of information if they only have to deal with one big fat spigot.

Heck, it might not even be that overtly sinister.  Perhaps the audience sentiment forecast suggested that protests over Eturrer wouldn't play well in most major markets, so they simply weren't covered.  Since they didn't attract media attention, they didn't go viral, and they eventually fizzled out, except for a few diehards who may have eventually been disappeared like the Professor in Taught Thoughts.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2013, 06:21 by Vieve »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #74 on: 19 Aug 2013, 06:18 »

Like Svet, I would really like to hear more about the different views of the various political parties of the Fed, and the Senate. It would really help to flesh the Fed out like they did in the last elections. It would also give Blaque and Roden more depth at the same time.

And again, I would really, really like them to make news reports from the IC perspective of all the various news outlets (The Scope, ACN, Eifyr, etc). Not necessarily a version of each outlet for every bit of news ofc, but it would really help to flesh out the various opinions and views of the cluster instead of always getting the "tabletop game master" OOC explanation...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7