Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ladette Russeot is a Gallentean woman who in YC106, at age 17, hacked the code used by deadspace warp beacons that had been proclaimed unhackable just days before.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A technical problem  (Read 1254 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Re: A technical problem
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2014, 07:46 »

Lil' update for you

I went out, got an ethernet cable and linked up the hub to my laptop. Thus far, I've had no problems from quite a few hours of gaming and surfing.

This leads me to believe that this may indeed be a hardware problem. It occurred to me after reading here and elsewhere that the heat may actually be a cause of bother because the WLAN Card is very close to the cooling vent, which gets hot when gaming, particularly. But I'm far from certain.

Anyone have any ideas what to do?

Build a PC?

Nah, I get a rush from the adrenaline of basically having to metaphorically duct tape a 6 year old laptop to keep it clinging to life 24/7. I like a challenge 8)

Jokes aside, I'm a student with no job at present, so yeah couple of hurdles to get over before that's an option. If I had the income I'd certainly be getting into that, much better investment than a PS4 or Xbox.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
Re: A technical problem
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2014, 10:24 »

I can always recommend heading over to Newegg.com and putting together a wish list.  You can just buy the parts over the course of a year, putting them together as you go whenever you have the money.  One of the nice things about having a built PC is that you can just upgrade pieces for bits of money at a time rather than shelling out a few thousand all at once, then shelling it out again a few years later to upgrade.

If you do, I recommend getting the latest and greatest motherboard, if anything.  There's nothing worse than getting a top-of-the-line PC built on an outgoing motherboard and then, when they stop making processors for its CPU socket, you need to replace the motherboard and the processor in one go.  My wife did that, unfortunately, building a computer with a very nice setup but on a relatively old system.  Now, to upgrade, we need to upgrade her motherboard to accept a more powerful processor socket, a new processor to fit that socket, and she needs to upgrade from DDR2 to DDR3 RAM sockets.  That's a healthy chunk of change.

The rest you can buy at bargain and then upgrade as you get the money.  If you've got an older PC hanging around, it is easier to upgrade that as you go.  I've essentially been upgrading the "same" PC for over fifteen years, though its been through at least three rounds of completely replaced parts since I started.
Pages: 1 [2]