Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Rogue Jovian General incident years ago sparked Tech 2?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: World War Z  (Read 2345 times)

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
World War Z
« on: 23 Jun 2013, 20:11 »

Anyone else seeing this?  I was kind of worried it would be a letdown after hearing about the long production troubles, but I went and saw it today, and it pleasantly surprised me.  Going to try and convince a few of my work friends to see it again with me.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: World War Z
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2013, 21:02 »

I read the book and am interested in how they'll work it into a movie.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2013, 21:06 »

I read the book and am interested in how they'll work it into a movie.

Go watch it, it's in theatres now.

They did pretty well with the setting and several characters (Jurgen Warmbrunn, for instance).  They only tapped a fraction of a book, though, things like Yonkers are missing - however, apparently they've already given the green-light for a sequel to be made.

:P

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:13 »

My zombie fanatic friend has boycotted the film based on the trailers.  Not read the book myself, but by his account, they removed a lot of the basic details of how the zombies worked in favour of silly overdone nonsense.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2013, 03:59 »

I liked the audio book (It go a lot of awards, and it has Mark Hamill in it).

Something about Brad Pitt turns me off, can't be arsed to watch anything with him (or his wife) in it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:02 »

Ironically, while the book bugged me a great deal, the movie may fall into the category of 'mindless but pleasantly distracting silliness to watch while bored'. I'll not be paying for a theater ticket, though.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:18 »

Go watch it, it's in theatres now.

They did pretty well with the setting and several characters (Jurgen Warmbrunn, for instance).  They only tapped a fraction of a book, though, things like Yonkers are missing - however, apparently they've already given the green-light for a sequel to be made.

:P

That is...regrettable.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:28 »

Something about Brad Pitt turns me off, can't be arsed to watch anything with him (or his wife) in it.

Go watch 12 Monkeys, like right now. :o

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:32 »

This.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2013, 11:59 »

This.

Fight Club is a thing that will be underrated for many years and a joy to discover for generations to come.

RE: Zombies, I enjoyed the book quite a bit but from what I've been told just pretend this movie is a separate thing only sharing a name.

They SHOULD do the book proper, but as a multi-episodic mini series, each episode a different tale from the book. Win.

Also the very idea of doing an edited for violence and gore PG-13 zombie movie to hit that widest target audience makes me want to punch someone in the face. 

The other thing.... don't get me wrong I love zombie stuff, I love the genre, but most of the time I just can't deal with the idea of any organized military being overrun by walking dead.

The best modern militaries are full of hundreds of thousands of people with guns designed to kill other people with guns and explosives -shooting- at them, to incinerate many square miles from long distances.
If soldiers can handle killing people shooting at them they can handle walking corpses and laugh about it.

....I am confident that many thousands of people pointing automatic weapons, artillary, etc at shambling corpses would be over in about 15 seconds.  Many civilians and urban areas would be screwed for sure, but when battle lines are drawn and proper military formations drawn up it would be a joke.

Also the one thing about apocalyptic movies we never see, is that after civilization collapses, you better believe everyone is going to just ride bicycles and laugh at zombies trying to catch up.  Bicycles don't look as cool when you are wandering through the wasteland, but that'd be the primary mode of travel fo sho.

« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2013, 12:04 by Silas Vitalia »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2013, 12:25 »

I think in the book they explained why the modern military does not work well against the Zs.

They are trained to shoot at the body mass and not the head.
Therefore anything they do with their new fangled guns is a moot point, because the Zs will just keep on coming.
Incinerating football fields of Zs sounds good and dandy, except when they are among the civilian population.
Even smart bombs have a tendency to hit civilian targets, anything that is designed for area of effect will decimate the civilians and the Zs, alongside the infrastructure.

Of course one of the immersion breaking things is the decay of the Zs and how it affects them.

It is dealt with in the book, alongside most of the problems with the genre.

All we need in the Western world is to have a blackout that lasts about a month, about a month worth of problem with food logistics and water logistics and we are facing an extinction level event, civilization is a fragile thing and the fact that you might have to destroy the infrastructure and the civilians to kill of the enemy would pretty much mean the end of it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2013, 12:31 »

I think in the book they explained why the modern military does not work well against the Zs.

They are trained to shoot at the body mass and not the head.
Therefore anything they do with their new fangled guns is a moot point, because the Zs will just keep on coming.
Incinerating football fields of Zs sounds good and dandy, except when they are among the civilian population.
Even smart bombs have a tendency to hit civilian targets, anything that is designed for area of effect will decimate the civilians and the Zs, alongside the infrastructure.

Of course one of the immersion breaking things is the decay of the Zs and how it affects them.

It is dealt with in the book, alongside most of the problems with the genre.

All we need in the Western world is to have a blackout that lasts about a month, about a month worth of problem with food logistics and water logistics and we are facing an extinction level event, civilization is a fragile thing and the fact that you might have to destroy the infrastructure and the civilians to kill of the enemy would pretty much mean the end of it.

I disagree with the author's take on it; didn't agree with his assertions.  Obviously the book would be no fun otherwise :P

Two thousand years ago you had armies with a hundred thousand people swinging swords dealing with another army of a hundred thousand people running at them -with swords-. 

If the Romans could handle thousands of people running at them with swords and horses trying to kill them I think we will be just fine.

Re: power going out, it would certainly be a huge mess, but don't forget a very very large % of the world's population already lives with no power and very little food (sadly).

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2013, 12:51 »

Additionally the destructive power of many of today's projectile weapons is ridiculous. Much of the lager caliber weaponry don't just shoot holes in flesh, it basically disintegrates what it hits.  You can probably find some youtube of heavy caliber machine guns or chain guns shooting all sorts of things (watermellons, etc).

Look at WWI where you'd have a million people die just trying to advance 15 feet across a killing field with the other group obliterating anything that stuck its head out.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2013, 13:16 »

Silas' points are why I'm not a huge zombie person.  They can be fun (loved 28 Days Later, and who doesn't enjoy L4D?) but they're not particularly enthralling as horror beasties go.

World of Darkness style vamps, now that's where it's at.  Superhuman parasitic predators, pulling the puppet strings.  Not enough of that around.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2013, 13:25 »

Silas identifies my problem with the book as well; as I commented on another review, while I am not expecting a shaped-charge anti-tank missile or high-velocity subcaliber round to be effective against Zs, after a while of every single weapon built after 1980 being dismissed as useless it feels more like an author filibuster on modern politics and warfare than a coherent story - especially when a huge number of senior military officers seem to have caught the dumb for the first half of the book.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: [1] 2