Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the expansion name "Incarna" was Stitcher's winning entry in an E-ON magazine competition?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones  (Read 5906 times)

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
Re: A Game of Thrones
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jul 2011, 04:02 »

\o/ I get to have my book signed by George RR Martin this Sunday.  \o/

Dont say it loud you may get a bounty placed for your head... i mean book.  :P   :twisted:

Victoria Valadeus

« Reply #31 on: 29 Jul 2011, 20:37 »

Just finished a binge watching the entire first season.

And I just want to say:

Heck yeah!

Winter is Coming

P.S. Isn't Tyrion like, the coolest character ever?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jul 2011, 04:12 »

Jamie and Littlefinger are not bad either. But not yet in the first season.

Tyrion ftw in season 1.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #33 on: 30 Jul 2011, 05:08 »

P.S. Isn't Tyrion like, the coolest character ever?

Tyrion ftw in season 1.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jul 2012, 09:05 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehzRmVMPfMo&feature=player_embedded

On another note, after seeing the season 2, I have to admit that I am completely disappointed. Where the first season was very loyal and close to the books, the second one has been butchered for whatever reason...

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #35 on: 25 Jul 2012, 07:47 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehzRmVMPfMo&feature=player_embedded

On another note, after seeing the season 2, I have to admit that I am completely disappointed. Where the first season was very loyal and close to the books, the second one has been butchered for whatever reason...

I agree. It was pretty badly accomplished, all in all. At times, I even thought the acting was pretty bad. And the horrible sets/settings/characters for Daenerys' adventure on the other continent.. The first few episodes were disasters, but it did get a little better towards the end. The big battle episode was not bad!

Where it deviated from the books, I felt it was going in really odd and unnecessary directions. While the first season was probably the best translation of a book to video, the second was definitely not.

That said, I didn't like the second book that much when I read, either. The third one got better in my opinion (and that's where I'm stuck still).

Lyn Farel

« Reply #36 on: 25 Jul 2012, 08:37 »

A lot of changes that did not make any sense, but overall it still remains a really good show, especially for people that have not read the book. And yes, the battle episode was nice since very few things were modified for once.

I also heard that season 1 costed around 70M $...
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2012, 15:05 by Lyn Farel »

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #37 on: 25 Jul 2012, 14:59 »

As I understand it George R R Martin is quite involved with the series and has approved the changes.

Mostly they seem to be cutting down on the number of secondary characters, so that they have less people to introduce and can spend more time on plot. I do like the way they are showing things that happen away from the book's "viewpoint" characters.

I particularly liked their take on the White Walkers. Very like another George's fiction. Romero that is.

Brienne of Tarth is really well played. Aria's development is a joy to watch, as is her faceless man ally. Also I smiled at the first use of the line "You know nothing John Snow."

They did change the Battle of the Blackwater a lot. But the changes made sense from a saving money and looking cool point of view. And the acting around it. From Bron & The Hound facing off to Tyrion's horror at what he has done. And especially Tyrion's speech to rally the defenders. I'm also glad that they made use of Jerome Flynn's (he's the guy who plays Bron) singing voice.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jul 2012, 15:12 »

On a personnal level I absolutely hate how they portrayed Margaery : they turned an innocent girl into a femme fatale.

I can understand changes like on the battle of Kings landing where they put the setting in the night while it was in the sunset in the book. Visually, it reinforces a lot the fire effects in the night. I can also understand that they choosed to put Aria at the service of Tywin Lannister instead of being a simple servant girl for a horrible guy (that she asks her faceless friend to kill for her in the book). I can understand that they choosed not to show the Tully's city where the battle with Jaime is supposed to happen, and where he is supposed to spend his time in jail, since it could have potentially cost a lot.

What I can't understand is why changing Robb's wife by this woman from Volantis ? What was wrong with Jeyne in the books ? She was a daughter of a minor Lannister lord, and that was at least twice more interesting that way.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #39 on: 25 Jul 2012, 16:35 »

I, one million percent, do not agree that the second season was worse than the first.

I agree that there were changes that made the show different from the books, but I would argue that the changes made were largely necessary ones that serve the needs of the different medium.

TV and books are very different things, with different pacing and narrative requirements. You can see how badly some films do at adapting written texts when they are slavishly loyal to the text rather than being aware that an adaptation is a distinct beast.

The second season was narratively stronger than the first, it was better TV, in my opinion, because some things were altered for pacing and fluency problems. Also, Blackwater was one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen.

Desiderya

« Reply #40 on: 26 Jul 2012, 04:17 »

I agree with Mammal on this one. The changes compared to the book were more apparent in the second season. Some were very good, others were not really necessary ( the killing of the thirteen, for example ). Overall it was the more enjoyable season. Jaime/Brienne scenes were tremendously enjoyable to watch, for example. And the list can easily go on with Arya/Jaqen, Theon's heroic speech, <3 Tyrion <3.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #41 on: 27 Jul 2012, 12:25 »

If you have read the books, you're ahead of the game in terms of keeping track of all the characters. A lot of people that are just watching the TV adaptation without having read the books can, and do, struggle with the sheer numbers of people and plot strands. It seems eminently sensible to reduce the onslaught of new characters in the second season: a number of characters are to be introduced in season 3.

I thoroughly enjoyed season 2, personally. One or two things surprised me: I hadn't really picked up on Renly being gay when reading the books, for example. When I reread them, I shall be paying close attention to his characterisation to see if I missed something quite obvious, or it was something very subtle and barely suggested on the printed page that they decided to make overt in the TV show. I also liked the Stannis character as portrayed. In the books, I found him pretty tiresome, so kudos to the writing team and the actor there.

Finally, valar morghulis. :)

Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Lyn Farel

« Reply #42 on: 27 Jul 2012, 14:07 »

It as very subtle in the book and I didnt noticed it as well. It is mostly about snides remarks from here and there, or especially Loras that is the flower knight, and when you see his heraldry it is a blatant reference to gaypride (rainbows and flowers)....

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #43 on: 27 Jul 2012, 16:58 »

I really, really disliked their treatment of Renly. In the books, he really came out as a good dude and possibly a truly great King, charismatic, etc. They went in a totally different direction with him in the series. I was shocked when he died in the books. In the series? Good riddance.

Unfortunately I can't say if I would've picked up on him being gay, because I saw the first season before reading them. It was indeed very subtle in the books.

Other disappointment was Margaery, wtf. Now I am majorly afraid what they'll do with Oberyn Martell who's awesomeness can barely be contained, but not looking forward to it after seeing what they did with my man Renly.

But I'm glad - and a little surprised - some/most of you liked it. I certainly didn't!

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #44 on: 28 Jul 2012, 16:41 »

Hrm.  Well, I think they've made things that were subtle in the book more overt in the tv show.  Obviously a lot is down to interpretation, but personally I never saw Margaery as innocent in the slightest.  She seemed to be playing the game pretty well to me.  (Certainly to Cersei's disadvantage).

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4