Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Hak'len (AKA Kresh liquor) is toxic to non-Caldari?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: The Alignment System Game!  (Read 30532 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: The Alignment System Game!
« Reply #105 on: 21 Jun 2013, 19:48 »

NEed to redo thread with Saede's system tbh, far more fitting for EVE I reckon

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #106 on: 21 Jun 2013, 20:14 »

First I'd have to learn the damn thing.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #107 on: 21 Jun 2013, 21:02 »

What we should do is redo it with the alignment system from Kobolds Ate My Baby.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #108 on: 21 Jun 2013, 22:04 »

Pieter: lawful neutral or evil, mostly because caldari ideals are about promotion, economic gain and self-interest in the end.

Actually, Caldari believe in the good of the group over the good of the individual fairly heavily. Of course they only work towards the end of an inlier group that they're part of - not the general weal of humanity.

To a degree, I agree with you, and you certainly more much more about the Caldari than I do. Yet, in the core of the Caldari State model is a structure of economic neoliberalism taken to the extreme, much like in the core of the cyberpunk vision which is the base of the State.

And the neoliberal economic approach to a world view starts with "everyone fends for themselves", "the weak fall before the strong", "the economic prowess has to be achieved over any methods", etc. Which are actually 100% individualistic and power based ideologies and perceptions, based on no external influence to meddle or interfere in social relations. In the end, taken to an extreme, neoliberal economic ideology is pretty close to anarchism.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #109 on: 21 Jun 2013, 22:40 »

Or Libertarianism, which advocates for property rights solely.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #110 on: 21 Jun 2013, 22:46 »

Pieter: lawful neutral or evil, mostly because caldari ideals are about promotion, economic gain and self-interest in the end.

Actually, Caldari believe in the good of the group over the good of the individual fairly heavily. Of course they only work towards the end of an inlier group that they're part of - not the general weal of humanity.

To a degree, I agree with you, and you certainly more much more about the Caldari than I do. Yet, in the core of the Caldari State model is a structure of economic neoliberalism taken to the extreme, much like in the core of the cyberpunk vision which is the base of the State.

And the neoliberal economic approach to a world view starts with "everyone fends for themselves", "the weak fall before the strong", "the economic prowess has to be achieved over any methods", etc. Which are actually 100% individualistic and power based ideologies and perceptions, based on no external influence to meddle or interfere in social relations. In the end, taken to an extreme, neoliberal economic ideology is pretty close to anarchism.

The consideration of group (for certain definitions of group) good over the individual is the twist that was put on the Caldari that makes it not just a clone of many cyberpunk settings (though it does allow us to lift interesting tropes and things from them).

Also, think we are drifting a bit off-topic. Though it might be worth its own thread.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #111 on: 22 Jun 2013, 02:17 »

Reppy's definitely got a lot of Autonomous going on, but you could make a valid argument for a hefty chunk of Sybaritic and Ambitious being in there as well.

Shiori

« Reply #112 on: 22 Jun 2013, 03:46 »

The consideration of group (for certain definitions of group) good over the individual is the twist that was put on the Caldari that makes it not just a clone of many cyberpunk settings (though it does allow us to lift interesting tropes and things from them).
My impression, and the thing I liked about the the Caldari State, is that it feels like it habitually saps our weak Earth socioeconomic models in dark alleys, then rifles through their pockets for useful concepts to steal for its own betterment.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #113 on: 22 Jun 2013, 03:51 »

Are you guys familiar with the Magic: The Gathering colour wheel? It actually acts like a rather interesting morality system.

Generally a colour opposes the two colours opposite it (for example, Green, the primary colour I actually play in my decks, opposes Black and Blue), but there can be combinations of opposing colours in a single individual. A few examples under this system:

Andreus Ixiris: Red/Blue. Andreus is a creature of odd contradictions and extremes, as befits an opposing colour combination. He's often torn between the logical and emotional reactions to a situation.

Anslo: Pure Red. Impulsive, unpredictable and deeply opinionated, Anslo is an excellent example of this monocolour.

Saede Riordan: Pure Blue. I wanted to say Blue/Black, but Saede isn't amoral or self-focused enough to be Black. At least from what she says about herself, she seems to be pretty focused on the application of technology to the advancement of humankind, which is an incredibly Blue outlook.

Silas Vitalia: Pure Black. She wants what's best for her, and no-one else, and she's entirely honest about it. She doesn't lie habitually or compulsively - she only lies when it's useful. She'll be charmingly polite or bitingly malicious depending on what best suits her purposes. I struggle to think of a character who's a better example of this colour.

Rodj Blake: Pure White. Values order, conformity and rule of law over all other concerns.

Stitcher: White/Blue. A sedate but powerful combination that merges White's desire for stability and peace with Blue's penchant for progress and application of intellect. Many Caldari are White/Blue - it's actually a defining feature of their society.

Pieter Tuulinen: White/Blue/Red. Like all colour combinations with more than two components, Pieter is complex. Just like Stitcher he merges the standard White adherence to law and heirarchy with the Blue tendency towards progress and innovation, but from what I've seen of the character it's also tinged with a fair bit of Red's powerful emotion and tendency towards spontaneous action.

Sansha Kuvakei: White/Black. Another opposing colour combination, and another creature of extremes. Sansha Kuvakei is quite evidently deeply self-obsessed, since he's built an almost religious following around his beliefs, a following which really only works to his benefit. At the same time, at least part of him genuinely seems to believe that what he's doing is good for humanity, and that part, in its own twisted way, seems to want to share Sansha's "gifts" with everyone because it genuinely believes they'll help.

Only problem with this is that I'm having a hard time finding any good examples of Green characters.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2013, 04:07 by Andreus Ixiris »

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #114 on: 22 Jun 2013, 04:21 »

I'd probably call Makkal a White/Green hybrid on that model.  Reppy's an easy Red/Black.

Interesting idea, Andy.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #115 on: 22 Jun 2013, 04:29 »

Blue primary, White secondary, for Lyn.

Edit : why ? Technology through knowledge, better understanding through knowledge, ultimate goal being Absolute Truth, thus knowledge become mandatory and a philosophy of life in itself. See : Serum of Truth. Which leads to reason and rationale over red impulse and irrational thought. Omniscience to Absolute Truth, leading to organic inter connectivity and comprehension, thus peaceful and enlighted resolution, order (white) and symbiosis (green). The result is purely white, but the primary purpose and the goal, are pure blue.

« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2013, 06:23 by Lyn Farel »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #116 on: 22 Jun 2013, 04:45 »

Green primary, Red secondary for Kala

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #117 on: 22 Jun 2013, 05:06 »

Green as a colour tends to favour natural, organically developing solutions to problems. In-game, it's very anti-technology/anti-artifice, having a large number of cards that wreck or interfere with artifacts. Its enemies are blue (due to its obsession with artificial solutions and valuing of reason over instinct) and black (on account of its all-for-one mentality, which clashes with green's one-for-all outlook).

I'm interested to hear how that lines up with your characters' philosophies.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #118 on: 22 Jun 2013, 05:18 »

Green/White for Ava =)

As far as Ava's "Alignment" per the original theme of the thread? Go to page 1, see Kala's post. Ava does her best to follow a just and moral path (as she can) and follows the "laws" of her Tribe and Clan to the utmost.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #119 on: 22 Jun 2013, 07:34 »

I was not happy with the chaotic definition since especially in the case of Lyn, she considers chaos to be a form of advanced mathematical probability with patterns and rules itself, or either that true chaos does not exist.

Redoing it for everyone thus far with the Schwartz influenced alignement. and IC views of my character according to it. Feel free to ask why my character sees it that way. Don't be afraid to see a lot of Sybarites in there, since prudish Lyn tends to see lustful Sybarites everywhere.

Lyn: Transcendent with Pragmatic leanings in the past, but both on more or less equal value these days. May change to Pragmatic with Transcendent leanings in the future if she continues that way. She may have a very tiny Ascendent hidden side waiting for a good opportunity to awaken.

Anslo: Transcendent with Autonomous and Sybaritic leanings.

Kala: Not enough data and variables to establish a pattern.

Karm: Autonomous with Sybaritic leanings.

Makkal: Autonomous with Humane and Sybaritic leanings.

Pieter: Orthodox with Humane leanings.

Steffanie: Not enough data and variables to establish a pattern.

Merdaneth: Righteous with Orthodox leanings.

Silas: Ambitious with Ascendent leanings.

Kat: Orthodox with Humane, Autonomous, Sybaritic, and Ascendent leanings.

Saede: Transcendent with Humane, Autonomous and Sybaritic leanings. Does not considers her to be pragmatic enough to have that leaning as well, but always considers it.

Synthia: Orthodox with Pragmatic leanings.

Aria: Pragmatic with Transcendent leanings in the past, but Orthodox leanings since she redeemed herself back to Caldari values.

Samira: Orthodox with Righteous leanings.

Aldrith: Righteous with Ascendent and very slight Sybaritic leanings. (this systems explains a lot better the conflicting nature of the character imo)

Silver: Humane with Ascendent leanings.

Reppie: Autonomous with Sybaritic and Humane leanings.

Morlag: Autonomous and Humane.

Seri: Ascendent with Righteous, Transcendent, and Sybaritic leanings.

Nico: Righteous with Humane and Orthodox leanings.

Vince: Sybaritic with Ambitious and Autonomous leanings.

Lunarisse: Not enough data and variables to establish a pattern.

Victoria: Not enough personal data, but heard of : Autonomous with Sybaritic leanings.

Mittara: Orthodox with Ascendent leanings.

Gwen: Transcendent with Orthodox and Humane leanings.

Makoto: Not enough data and variables to establish a pattern.

Natalacya: Transcendent with Ascendent and Humane leanings.

Sepherim: Righteous with Orthodox or Humane leanings.

Havo: Righteous with Autonomous and Ambitious leanings.

JFR: Righteous with Humane leanings.

Andreus: Righteous with Transcendent/Autonomous and Sybaritic leanings.

Streya: Transcendent.

Shin: (it's weird to shorten her name as Shin btw, sounds like Death in japanese...) Humane and Autonomous.

Ava: Humane with Transcendent leanings. Best buddy for crying ever.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2013, 07:43 by Lyn Farel »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16