Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That naturalist cafes on space stations go to great lengths to create the illusion that one is not in space? (The Burning Life, p. 62)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Endless Space  (Read 4857 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: Endless Space
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2012, 09:28 »

It works just like production in Civilization.  So, basically as you just described.  Really weren't kidding about not being used to turn based mechanics, were you?  :)

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2012, 09:49 »

This is my first real attempt at them in 24 (almost 25) years.

You should be honoured to have made me want to try it, mister. :3

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2012, 10:46 »

Dangit. I went to the wiki and looked around and am finding the sheer (aparent) depth and complexity. In a turn-based game, this is almost entirely irresistable. Just as I've been enjoying Planetside 2 so much and playing a bit of FTL and... dammit. Is this game as awesome as it looks?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2012, 10:58 »

Its a solid turn based space 4X that manages to be both accessible and complex, which is a rare thing.  Also the presentation is excellent and the universe sufficiently interesting.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2012, 17:48 »

Yea, this is good stuff.  Will probably be looking to organize an Endless Space MP game in the next week or so.  Putting feelers out for interested players.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 28 Sep 2012, 22:31 »

OK, lissen up Moros.

Industry is used to build system improvements and ships.  It's per system - a system contributes towards its own production only.  If it's not immediately used in the construction of something (i.e., your build queue is empty), then the industry that system produces that turn is wasted.  If you have nothing to build, queue up one of the 'convert to dust' or 'convert to research' options.

Food is also per system.  Food accumulates in the local store of food and eventually translates into a new unit of population.  If a system does not produce enough food to satisfy its needs, population will actually decline.

Science is empire-wide.  Every system contributes its produced research points towards whatever tech you're researching.

Dust is currency.  Every system contributes its balance sheet to your empire total.  Some systems can go into the negative, especially if you have a lot of superfluous system improvements.  The empire window lets you see your overall budget.

I looked at that before posting, but I'm either being stupid or it doesn't answer me. Does the system work like if, say, a project consumed 130 Industry, the number of turns it takes depends on how rapidly your total industrial output can reach 130? e.g. one turn if it exceeds it, two if it's 80 / turn, three if it's 50 / turn, etc.?

Let's say a project requires 100 units of industry to finish.  If your system produces 25 industry a turn, it'll take 4 turns to finish.  If your system produces 50 industry a turn, it'll take 2 turns.  etc.  If your system actually produces more than 100 units of industry, the overflow will contribute to the next project in the queue.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2012, 22:44 by Shaalira »

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #21 on: 28 Sep 2012, 22:33 »

I'm down for a multiplayer game.  Will custom factions be allowed?  Otherwise, I'll give Pilgrims a try.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #22 on: 29 Sep 2012, 03:03 »

OK, lissen up Moros.

Industry is used to build system improvements and ships.  It's per system - a system contributes towards its own production only.  If it's not immediately used in the construction of something (i.e., your build queue is empty), then the industry that system produces that turn is wasted.  If you have nothing to build, queue up one of the 'convert to dust' or 'convert to research' options.

Food is also per system.  Food accumulates in the local store of food and eventually translates into a new unit of population.  If a system does not produce enough food to satisfy its needs, population will actually decline.

Science is empire-wide.  Every system contributes its produced research points towards whatever tech you're researching.

Dust is currency.  Every system contributes its balance sheet to your empire total.  Some systems can go into the negative, especially if you have a lot of superfluous system improvements.  The empire window lets you see your overall budget.

I looked at that before posting, but I'm either being stupid or it doesn't answer me. Does the system work like if, say, a project consumed 130 Industry, the number of turns it takes depends on how rapidly your total industrial output can reach 130? e.g. one turn if it exceeds it, two if it's 80 / turn, three if it's 50 / turn, etc.?

Let's say a project requires 100 units of industry to finish.  If your system produces 25 industry a turn, it'll take 4 turns to finish.  If your system produces 50 industry a turn, it'll take 2 turns.  etc.  If your system actually produces more than 100 units of industry, the overflow will contribute to the next project in the queue.

<3 Thank youuu. So much less confused now.

If we do a MP, with the caveat that I may well be the worst person ever at it, I'd not mind playing as the Sowers, time permitting.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #23 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:00 »

Sounds like quite close to civilization in its core mechanisms ?

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 29 Sep 2012, 09:03 »

The Gottiians will rule the MP game!
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #25 on: 29 Sep 2012, 09:11 »

I have this now, and Kyber has been teaching me how to play (that should give you an indication of how bad I am). I'm willing to get involved in a multi-player game :)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 29 Sep 2012, 14:33 »

I am resisting the urge to get this. I'm not sure how long that will last.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #27 on: 30 Sep 2012, 02:38 »

I'm down for a multiplayer game.  Will custom factions be allowed?  Otherwise, I'll give Pilgrims a try.

I'd like to keep it to the stock factions.  They have a certain character that would be lost by allowing min/maxing with custom faction traits.

MP in Endless Space is real time and runs on simultaneous turns.  This means coordination can be a bear, but the actual play experience is pretty smooth for a turn-based game.  Will need to compare and match time zones and available play times.  Happily, players can drop in and out mid-game and their empires will be managed by the AI in their absence.

Right now I'm tracking interest from...

Me (Ken) - Cravers
Shaalira - Pilgrims
Kyber - Sowers
Gottii - ???
Kala - Hissho

Factions remaining: United Empire, Sophons, Amoeba, Horatio
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2012, 11:56 by Ken »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #28 on: 30 Sep 2012, 03:26 »

How much is it for this again?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #29 on: 30 Sep 2012, 03:29 »

30 on steam

I am interested as well but don't count me in yet since I don't know if I will have the time to try the game before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4