Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PIE Inc. (also known more formally as Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris) is the oldest pod-pilot corporation loyal to the Amarr Empire? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Endless Space  (Read 4855 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Endless Space
« on: 26 Sep 2012, 12:48 »

This Game

Picked up this recent 4X entry after hearing some good things.  I've given it a couple hours so far and I am impressed.  It doesn't fall flat on its face shortly after leaving the gate, like many 4X titles unfortunately do. 

Among other things, I am very pleased with the races and ship designs offered.  All of the factions have interesting stories and are described quite well.  As described and presented, each of them manages to instill a sense of wonder in me such that the Endless Space universe almost seems poised for something greater.  The human factions are not built on absurd hyperbole nor oppressive vagueness.  They manage to be interesting and each of them seems unique, even though they all share a common origin (think one big human empire and a host of off-shoot nations).  The alien factions are suitably alien.  You're not dealing with the trite gallery of ridged foreheads, antennae, and random skin color variations.  Basically, these are cultures I want to hear more stories about.

All of the ships are gorgeous and evoke a great sense of the style and culture of the races that use them.

These are still fairly initial impressions, but I'm not regretting the purchase by any means and am looking forward to playing it a lot more.

Who else has given this title a go?

Red

• That Flighty Broad
  • Clonejack
  • Live every week like it's Shark Week.
Re: Endless Space
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2012, 13:30 »

Baaaaaaalls.

My name is Red, and I'm a video game addict.

I'm going to wait until the Steam holiday sale to buy this wonderful-looking game.

*breathes deep*

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2012, 14:30 »

dayum.

I kind of looks like Sins of a Solar Empire, only much more advanced in every front. How similar is it to Sins?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2012, 17:50 »

It's a turn-based strategy game, so fundamentally it plays a lot different from Sins.  You'll get the long-term "manage an empire" vibe that you get from Civilization or Master of Orion, in a good way.

As far as game design goes, Endless Space is very polished.   There aren't any extraneous elements, or useless techs.  Some of the late-game strategies, such as mass terraforming, can yield some enormous benefits if you're willing to invest.   Unlike other 4X games, combat and conquest bonuses are useful throughout, and not swiftly outdone by industry and science bonuses.   Watch out for the Cravers.

What can't be understated is the interface.  It's sleek, smooth, fast, and intuitive.  The interface contributes greatly to making the game a pleasure to play.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2012, 17:54 »

*saw Ken and Shaalira's approval*

*immediately purchased* 

*downloading as we speak*

I love 4X games.  I absolutely hate RTS games for deluding what a gamer thinks of as "strategy" anymore.  So glad to see well done 4X games coming out.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2012, 20:47 »

I got it as soon as it came out, and it hasn't disappointed. Quality stuff!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2012, 03:36 »

Wasnt sure initially if it was a good title or not but considering the impressions here i might give it a try.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2012, 05:36 »

I bought it too, my only complain so far is that for late game, the number of "fleets" gets so huge that my PC dies trying to handle all the AI movements.

Supposedly there will be a free add-on soon and then an expansion.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2012, 09:20 »

I'm downloading this at the moment. I'm curious about how much I take to the turn-based mechanics, since I've traditionally preferred RTS. Yes, I know, the arrogance of youth, and all that.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2012, 09:30 »

one slight suggesstion, visit endlessspace.wikia.com for a really helpful guide on how to start......there are MANY aspects of the game that are not intuitive.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2012, 17:37 »

I've traditionally preferred RTS.

<tases Kyber>
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2012, 03:28 »

I've traditionally preferred RTS.

<tases Kyber>

/musical theatre

Why ? Whyyy being enemies ? Couldnt 4X and RTS be best friends ever ?

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2012, 07:06 »

I'm probably being a bit dumb, but I'm not sure I grasp the FIDS system too well. I know that the dust is basically stored up to use as-and-when, but there doesn't seem to be a similar stockpile for food / industry / science? How do industry and science relate to the rate of researching or manufacture?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2012, 08:45 »

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2012, 09:02 »

I looked at that before posting, but I'm either being stupid or it doesn't answer me. Does the system work like if, say, a project consumed 130 Industry, the number of turns it takes depends on how rapidly your total industrial output can reach 130? e.g. one turn if it exceeds it, two if it's 80 / turn, three if it's 50 / turn, etc.?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4