Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the first ways to crack safe spots was to warp past the person and hope your bookmark landed you next to them?

Author Topic: The Masks we Wear  (Read 1871 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
The Masks we Wear
« on: 27 Jan 2013, 09:59 »

The Masks we Wear

It doesn't really hurt. They were always so sure to reinforce that point, regardless of anything else. It doesn't hurt. But they're wrong, there is pain. It just comes much later.

I'm wearing her face. Everything about what I see is perfect, as it should be. Nose, lips, tattoos, eyes; they're all right where they belong. But the face staring back at me is hers, not mine. I'm just hiding here behind her eyes. I shouldn't have looked.

My ship had gone down, my pod trapped in a warp disruption bubble as enemy ships circled in. I knew I was going to die. I'd died this way before. I wasn't afraid then. Just irritated at my loss.

As I tumbled out of the clone vat, and blearily made my way to my quarters, the wrongness began to set in. Something seemed off about my body, like I didn't quite remember how to use it. I stared at my hands, but they looked perfect. Exactly like they should.

I was drawn to the mirror like a moth to a flame, and that is when the horror finally set in fully. Because I'm wearing her face. I'm wearing her face and its supposed to be mine.

I stand transfixed, staring into that mirror for what seems like hours. I couldn't just keep standing there, there are things she should be doing. But I'm not her. I'm wearing the face of a dead woman, and matter how much I look, I can't make her face my own. Even with all her memories, all her thoughts, her face, her clothes, I know deep down that I'm not her. I'm just what came back.

Its fast, I'll give it that. The process seems to barely last longer then a heartbeat. There's the momentary spike of pain as every nerve in the body screams and panics, and then the world dissolves into something beyond comprehension. Memories, feelings, everything that makes you a person is set flowing like a river, for that brief moment in time, we don't exist.

I wonder if anyone will notice? Can they see the imposter hiding inside the skin of their friend? The being who stepped into her life when she stepped out? Does that make me her to them?

I force myself to tear away from the mirror and walk carefully into her living room, picking up clothes off the floor and shrugging them on. They feel like my clothes, they feel exactly the way they should. These are the same clothes she wore before she entered the pod earlier today. My eyes trace around the room that is supposed to be mine now. It all feels like a joke somehow, like its all some elaborate set piece, constructed for my benefit. As if at any moment, the walls might fall away and reveal the lie that I am to the world.

She has places to be, I know from the memories I was given. I should get going. If I'm late it might make them suspicious. How could I possibly hope to explain this to them? Do they even care? To them am I still who I was before? Can't they see the fear in my eyes at having been pulled up into a life that's not mine?

But there's something out there, in that nothingness that becomes everything. It is as if just for a moment, The simple truth of the universe is laid out there perfectly, and everything suddenly makes sense. Some would call it God. But God is a human concept, and this is so much greater.

I sit down at her desk, my desk now I suppose, idly scrolling through her market orders. I have her posture, her mannerisms, her sense of humour, everything that made her, her, is what makes me, me. Does that make me her?

Practically speaking, I know there's no difference between us. We're the same really. Most capsuleers would shrug off this unnatural feeling, because for all outside purposes, nothing has changed. Her friends won't notice a difference, how could they? We're identical in every way that matters.

But we're not the same, we can't be. She stepped into that void, and I stepped out. Simple concepts like self hold no meaning in that place. It is beyond such things. This world doesn't belong to me. I belong in that other world, in that space between spaces where existence and non-existence become one and the same.

Ironically, most capsuleers never notice this place. They go through clones, stepping across that divide, and never realize how important it is. The idea of the infomorph, the being that exists in those moments solely as data. It is what we really are. Not the flesh we inhabit.

I can't help it. I'm drawn back to the mirror, back to that face I am supposed to own. I know there's more to me then this flesh though. I can't be defined this way. I want to scream, I want to tear off my skin and proclaim to the world 'no this is me! I'm different!' but I know I'm not. I'm exactly the same as her, I am her. And she is me.

I've left that world of purity behind, and become this mask I now wear. It won't be forever I know. Sooner or later, this body will die and I can return to that place again, and become someone new again. You can't step across that void and come back the same person that you left as, that gulf is too great for us. But our memories will come back, our thoughts and feelings and emotions will all come back, sliding smoothly into a new body, creating a new person out of whole cloth, and we'll be once more born into a world of pain and objectivity.

But I have to be more then this, there has to be more then this. I know there is. I've been there. I've crossed into that place and nothing will ever be the same after having done so, least of all me.

But for now, this is as things are. I am a capsuleer, a being of wealth and power. The mask is set too perfectly, and I know the eyes looking back at me out of that mirror are mine for now. I'll wear them well, until its time for me to return, and another steps into this existence.

And in that moment between life and death, we must ask ourselves. Are we still these masks we wear, or can we become something more?

Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
Re: The Masks we Wear
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2013, 12:54 »

Kinda scary.

...alright, I am starting to get awed of the writers around. Not that it'd be a matter to complain at all.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2013, 20:03 »

I loved it! Very scary and touching in a way. :)

Otara

• Clonejack
  • Otararara
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2013, 10:44 »

I liked it. :)

It reminds me of the end of The Prestige.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2013, 12:54 »

Nice work Saede!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2013, 15:17 »

Going back through some of my old stuff, see if anyone else wants to read it.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2013, 16:14 »

I think I read this before, but I still like it.
Makes me wonder how Ché would respond to being reborn.
-OOChé

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2013, 20:57 »

I love the idea that a new clone would feel a sense of disconnection from the life of their previous incarnation. Nicely done!

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2013, 21:16 »

Love this story. Very poignantly describes the horrors of cloning that most capsuleers prefer to ignore.

Also, I couldn't help but read the story as if it were from Samira's viewpoint, as this is exactly how she feels about the process, complete with referring to the former self as "her" instead of "me". :D
« Last Edit: 02 May 2013, 21:19 by Samira Kernher »

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2013, 21:43 »

Lovely.

I have the impression that many of our characters carry around this piece of doubt. It's certainly a significant part of the psychological mechanism underlying Katla's strong tendency to look to the law for answers to existential questions: "I am indeed the same person who got killed back there, because the law says that I am."
« Last Edit: 02 May 2013, 21:44 by Natalcya Katla »
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #10 on: 03 May 2013, 19:58 »

Very well done.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2014, 19:06 »

I wrote this ages and ages ago, I thought I'd give it a bump.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2014, 19:13 »

I <3 it then, I <3 it now.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2015, 20:51 »

Interesting story that reflects what I'm sure quite a few capsuleers go through. I can personally vouch for Kor when I say that he does not think these things. To him, clones are a means to an end.
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Rin Valador

• The one who cant sit still
  • Clonejack
« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2015, 22:12 »

Lovely! Glad this was bumped or I may never have seen it.

I've had Rin talk with someone about this very subject recently to see how she would react to such a question.

"Is the Rin standing before me now really 'The' Rin I knew from zoohen, or just a copy of a copy pretending to be her?"

She couldn't answer him. Not fully anyway, and that is kinda a failing on my part. I always play her as a happy go lucky gal with a bit of farm hand roughness to her character but never really fleshed out anything philosophical like this.
On the internet no one knows you are a giraffe... no one...