Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there was a total information blockade during the Caldari occupation of Placid, only lifted when the Caldari Navy in the area was destroyed or driven out?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Questions about the background of the game and linguistic projects  (Read 1975 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

Correct me if I am wrong - I've not looked at Templar One in a really long time, and am to lazy to dig it out and go looking for the specific page right now - but weren't the Jovians/Enhedduani/Sleepers able to escape the destruction after the EVE gate collapse because they were crossing the New Eden cluster using a superbly slow version of the warp drive at the time, and thus both rode out the shockwave mid-warp and still had all their tech packed up in their transport ships afterward?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

I have not read Templar One at all, but old prime fiction stated that they had a "short dark age". Which, admittedly, could be something like having a fully functional colony and then figuring out how to keep things in good repair after a few generations.

E.g. (Mith's musings here, not canon)
- Amarr had high tech, but their colony was incomplete and/or depended on others for maintenance. When interstellar travel stopped, they became preindustrial once the advanced tech stopped to work. Probably some of the old knowledge exists in ancient Scripture: How much of this is understood (some may be rewritten) is debatable. There may have been some kind of an "Encyclopedic" focus.
- The initial Caldari were the technicians etc. who were on-planet to keep an eye on the terraforming process. While losing capability to travel in the stars, the original settlers could sufficiently over-engineer the terraforming equipment such that future generations of proto-Caldari could live in habitats until the planet was sufficiently terraformed. However, the ability to repair the machines made by the Ancestors was lost eventually, and after the planet was sufficiently terraformed that the Caldari were no longer dependant on the terraforming equipment, lost altogether. (Later, with Gallentean help, some advanced technology was recovered from the ruins.)
- The Gallente and Minmatar had a similar fate than the Amarr, though their planets were slightly more suitable for human life and had colonists of different culture. Can't remember details about Gallente history on the top of my head, but if I am not terribly wrong, Minmatar were the first to form a World Goverment after the collapse - they just did not for some reason rediscover near-lightspeed or faster-than-light travel.

Lyn Farel

What helped the Amarr compared to the Minmatar (who were slighty ahead in terms of timeline) was the old stargate in their system, iirc. Where the Amarr had a technological wonder at their disposal to study and use, the Minmatar had to invent their own FTL methods, thus why they were still in only 3 systems with suboptimal FTL when the Amarr discovered them.

Also, the political situation on Pator was different from the one on Athra : the Minmatar political power was spread more or less equally between the tribes, where most of them had their own power and posed a more or less serious threat to other tribes, with the Nefantar/Starkmanir/Krusual tribes being the biggest in terms of power and influence. Adding to the fact that they had numerous important political powers, the balance between them probably caused ironically more wars and conflicts and impediments than the Amarr had to face after they started to reclaim easily their whole planet, forming an united bloc.

For the Gallente, I have difficulties to understand what took them so long to take off after their dark age.
Pages: 1 [2]