Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sani Sabik sectarian law-enforcement organization is called the Bleeders, and is a combination of priests and policemen? (The Burning Life, p. 18)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: in ur losec, steelin ur PLEX  (Read 4220 times)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
Re: in ur losec, steelin ur PLEX
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jul 2010, 18:34 »

* Lillith Blackheart needs to build a hamdrake gankmobile.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jul 2010, 18:40 »

This really 'shouldn't' make any differences, but well, Darwin and all.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jul 2010, 18:56 »

Oh, also, in ur Jita, suicide gankin etc.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2010, 00:50 »

So in other words, stupid people will start dropping better loot sometimes, while somewhat intelligent people won't even be slightly affected. I approve.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2010, 11:39 »

Seeing as this change will have tiny or insignificant effect on general EVE gameplay, how do you guys feel about CCP spending time on meetings, coding, blogging and so on something like this while at the same time claiming at the CSM summit in Island that they have no time to fix any of the presented issues?

I mean, what makes this change so important that it is suddenly on the top of the pile of issues to be fixed/handled?
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2010, 12:34 »

I imagine that it was probably a very small fix. I feel that without being someone who works at CCP, or knows anything about the code of the game though, it is pure speculation to try and figure out what represents the most efficient outlay of hours and resources.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2010, 12:54 »

This doesn't seem like a large change in terms of dev time and resources. Not just the 30 seconds to remove a flag in the system, of course, but much less than doing things many of us want like "lolfixlag" and "improving FW".

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2010, 12:57 »

I mean, what makes this change so important that it is suddenly on the top of the pile of issues to be fixed/handled?
Well.. it's like, priced between 350-400m and you can't even attempt to steal it by blowing someone up.

That needed to be fixed, but they were worried 'cause the whole PLEX concept (turning game time into an in-game trading item) was pretty new and untested.  I'm glad they're not worried anymore :D

Twitter

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2010, 13:29 »

Seeing as this change will have tiny or insignificant effect on general EVE gameplay, how do you guys feel about CCP spending time on meetings, coding, blogging and so on something like this while at the same time claiming at the CSM summit in Island that they have no time to fix any of the presented issues?

As everyone said, this is a pretty minor fix. Remove some flags. Done.

Secondly: CSM doesn't know crap about gamedeving. The understanding of how much time it would take to make some of the fixes/changes they're looking for is pretty nil.

As is evidenced by people that would get upset about this change going in while they don't have time to do other stuff. (Edit: I should note I didn't mean you, Myyona. I didn't really take your asking as being upset, but people are upset about that. One can guarantee)
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2010, 13:36 by Lillith Blackheart »

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2010, 14:22 »

Sorry, but I don't buy that it's a simple fix explains everything. Lots of issues, which I expect you already know, could be done with a simple fix (Factional Warfare issues as example).

Further, CCP has obviously spend time discussing this and it isn't any low level dev who have been spending time writing the blog, it is Mr. Zulupark himself. Realistically, it is properly two-three full working days for four people or so. Very odd priority of resources, I think.

In fact, I will call it immensely poor order of priority. This issue should be at the bottom of the pile, not on the top. It has never been pressed by the CSM or any group of players otherwise.

[tinfoilhat]
It is a diversion to have the carebears and gankbears rabble on the forums, and everybody forgetting about the CSM summit meeting minutes that will be released shortly.
[/tinfoilhat]
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2010, 14:25 by Myyona »

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2010, 14:36 »

Sorry, but I don't buy that it's a simple fix explains everything. Lots of issues, which I expect you already know, could be done with a simple fix (Factional Warfare issues as example).

That's not a "simple fix". You're not taking into account that the slightest adjustments of things in any system of that nature require a massive amount of testing, retesting, and checking.

That's not a simple fix. That's a lot of man-hours involved in making sure that it is balanced.

This is a major problem with perception that people have in regular systems, and also has a lot to do with what I was saying before about people not understanding game design.

In a system that involves direct conflict there needs to be a maintained balance. If you make any adjustments anywhere in the system, you throw off that balance that is in place, and in doing so you need to repair the balance before you can ship it out. That makes most systems in a Game, most expecially an MMO, very difficult to adjust. They are not "simple fixes" they are a lot of hours nudging, tweaking, testing, nudging more, testing again, rebalancing, testing, and so on.

And that doesn't take into account how adjustments made to rebalance one system will then affect an entirely different system that also has to be checked.

Now compare that to something that consists of reading some numbers for a while, then hitting "F3", typing in a flag string, and deleting every instance of it.

That is a simple fix.

Further, CCP has obviously spend time discussing this and it isn't any low level dev who have been spending time writing the blog, it is Mr. Zulupark himself. Realistically, it is properly two-three full working days for four people or so. Very odd priority of resources, I think.

Yet you don't know what else they're doing. Those "two-to-three full working days for four people or so" that you're bringing up as a completely random number (could have been 10 minutes for all you know, also could have been weeks) very likely consisted of pouring over data they would already be pouring over to begin with for other things they're doing.

In fact, I will call it immensely poor order of priority. This issue should be at the bottom of the pile, not on the top. It has never been pressed by the CSM or any group of players otherwise.

Who says it wasn't? Stuff on the bottom of the pile can often end up happening first when you're watching over its data already while doing other things (for instance other market-related systems being discussed, which is of utmost importance all the time) and a decision could be made quickly while doing other things.

Without being privy to their development process, and without understanding the actual amount of work that is involved in some of these "simple fixes" people are asking for (which are not, in any way, simple) instead, people are talking out of their butts.

Much ado about nothing, I say.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2010, 15:54 »

Aye, CCP write the only dev blog of the week about an issue that is nothing but still needed to be changed due to reasons that are vague for benefits that are unexplained. An easy change to implement perhaps, though that is rarely a reason in it self or in the case here according to the blog.

A waste of everybody's time for no reason.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2010, 16:21 »

*shrug* My time wasn't wasted. Read it, chuckled a little at the foolishness of moving PLEX around, went on with my day.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2010, 16:57 »

Don't think this is much of a change, but writing the dev blog seems to have made the pirate bloc's day.

Also, may have been a slow news week.  :lol:

Ah-- one other important reason for the dev blog: letting people know it's happening. PLEX is kind of a big deal; the simplicity of the fix has nothing whatever to do with its importance. Mind you, the "importance" is debatable if you have to be out of your mind to "take advantage" of the change, but it's still important to let people know it's happening, if only so that you have a ready response when someone absentmindedly does something they're "not supposed to be able to do" (IE, absent-mindedly undocks in their "plex storage" shuttle and promptly gets suicide ganked) and starts raising merry hell with the GM's.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more this looks like "headache avoidance" notification.

As for FW? I'm with Lillith. Fixes to that ain't bloody simple.
Pages: [1] 2