Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the connections inside a pod serve as both communications pathways and security wiring? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Situation of "The Summit" IC channel  (Read 8405 times)

Jalenar Frost

• Clonejack
  • Green Meany
Re: Situation of "The Summit" IC channel
« Reply #45 on: 15 Jul 2010, 23:49 »

series of good reasons for keeping a ban on brackets

/signed.

100% against OCC chatter in IC channels. 
"The difference between a warrior and an ordinary man is that a warrior sees everything as a challenge, while an ordinary man sees everything as either a blessing or a curse.
-Don Juan; A Seperate Reality

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #46 on: 15 Jul 2010, 23:57 »

And I'm saying that's fine when there are actually functional OOC venues. The OOC Channel doesn't work in that regard because its turned into the OOC channel for all of RPdom, and it constantly has other things going on that prevent its use that way. Also, I know for a fact that half the people I talk to in the summit never join the OOC channel because 99% of the time, its filled with random chatter. The alternative channel thing just doesn't work and its very clear by the fact that people still use brackets that it doesn't work.

I can say from spending a lot of time in SynePublic and Syne Intel, where the brackets are allowed in moderation, that they're not abused except in very rare situations. It really isn't nearly as bad as you seem to be painting it as.

And look what happens when you raise the bar above the minimum level needed for communication? You get the IGS.
Yes, those people could log into eve and make OOC comments there. But they don't, and so the IGS spirals around itself and never reaches any sort of conclusion because players can't quickly plan out any sort of information exchange.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #47 on: 16 Jul 2010, 00:06 »

No, the IGS spirals around itself and never reaches any sort of conclusion because none of the people involved are willing to concede anything. Period. It's a forum full of pundits, which is why that whole "The back and forth, is it really fun?" thread exists, and why I, and many others, largely ignore the whole damn thing.

OOC isn't going to change anything, especially since there's no reason for it. Players don't need to "quickly plan out any sort of information exchange", that's not exactly dynamic, and isn't that part of the point of RP?

If you don't feel "OOC" is acceptable, then use other options, they're all available.

1. Send an evemail.
2. Open a private convo.
3. CREATE ANOTHER OOC CHANNEL AND INVITE EVERYONE INTO IT YOU REGULARLY WOULD WANT TO COMMUNICATE WITH OOC
4. Don't fucking bother with the OOC because it isn't necessary at all.

This:

I can say from spending a lot of time in SynePublic and Syne Intel, where the brackets are allowed in moderation, that they're not abused except in very rare situations.

Is a microscopic test case that offers no statistical validity. I could alternatively state that 16 years of RPing online in various RP venues has shown that your examples are the very rare situations, and not otherwise. Using a much large test case, and with a slightly larger statistical validity to it, but that still falls to the same illogical argument.

The argument I would make is that the majority of people tend to agree with that viewpoint because it also matches their experiences. And that is a far greater test case.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #48 on: 16 Jul 2010, 08:42 »

Can we ban italics from Lillith's posts? ;)

(I jest! <3)

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #49 on: 16 Jul 2010, 08:46 »

Bite me.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #50 on: 16 Jul 2010, 10:01 »

Ban 'dynamic'

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #51 on: 16 Jul 2010, 11:39 »

Ban 'ban.' :P

I think that I would prefer people to open a private convo if they need to clarify things OOC when interacting IC. Eve's chat system is very usable, compared to the tired systems that most games insist on using, so take advantage and avoid those brackets, I say.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: 16 Jul 2010, 13:40 »

Mm. Usually, I agree that opening an OOC convo is best.

But perhaps not always.

The maddening exception that I occasionally run into is where, in an entirely virtual "pilot chatter" channel, someone /emotes strolling in and taking a seat.

Where there are no seats.

And then someone else does the same. And someone else, and another, and ...

((Uh, guys, this is a voice-and-video-only channel. It's not a room, virtual or otherwise.))

((Huh? Oh. Okay. Ignore what I just said, then))

((And me.))

((Me too.))

((K, thanks. Back IC?))

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #53 on: 25 Jul 2010, 21:56 »

Holy god this is so true. Thanks for bringing it up Seri.

Not to sound elitist, but somehow a bunch of new roleplayers decided to unleash the craziest RPs onto the Summit. I've no idea on how to approach this, so I just ignore it all.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #54 on: 25 Jul 2010, 23:48 »

Not all of it is "new roleplayers". A decent amount of it seems apparent to be alts of old players and middling players and mains of old and middling players alike.

There's a lot of shit going on in there -- and still had fuckall to do with whether or not it was VR.

The Summit has problem. It has big problems. The VR is gone, not only have those problems not diminished, they've grown. I suggest addressing the actual problems instead of perceived symptoms.

I also suggest reinstating VR.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]