Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PIE Inc. (also known more formally as Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris) is the oldest pod-pilot corporation loyal to the Amarr Empire? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Situation of "The Summit" IC channel  (Read 8404 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Situation of "The Summit" IC channel
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2010, 13:45 »

Well, not to be elitist, but the cheap romance RP that occurs in it as a result of the VR setting is a bit "eh, yea..." heh...

But on a more serious note, perhaps updating the MOTD to state that the channel is secure of all godmoddy shit blahblah might be better?

Alternatively, giving mod status to more people might be better. But the list of candidates who can maintain neutrality and impartiality is slim. I myself do not volunteer for example, lol.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 13:47 by Seriphyn »

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2010, 13:47 »

What is this, 1992?
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2010, 14:07 »

I can't say that I recall it being a VR place, before. People use 'video feeds' and whatnot, but I don't remember it being a 'place' rather than a 'channel' previous to this.

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #18 on: 28 Jun 2010, 15:46 »

Pineapple and cheese cubes for everyone then?

Maybe a frosty chocolate milkshake, and a fedo recipe.  :D

I'm pretty sure I've said this a few times already, but I actually roleplay Arvo as a troll on the Summit occasionally, because he believes its simply a joke. Even if those occasional bits listed above are fun to see every now and then.

From an OOC standpoint, it's been interesting for awhile though with the events, but even they get old as nobody tries to adjust their perceptions with the enviroment of the conversation aside from maybe a single person or two. Everyone wishes to have that unwavering resolve attached to their character, to never challenge their own way of life as being 'right' or 'wrong' or even of the smallest things. I believe that can also be a contributing factor the state of the Summit: if everyone brings up the same thing, bringing the same arguments, leading to the same predictable unsatisifying conclusion... where is the point to bother in the first place (which the same can be then derived to the overall nature to the IGS, but seems the counterpoint to that is if you don't speak up, you only hear one side of the story and the reading audiance will assume that's the nature of the situation).

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jun 2010, 16:47 »

Well, not to be elitist, but the cheap romance RP that occurs in it as a result of the VR setting is a bit "eh, yea..." heh...

Not to be a jerk, but there's a huge amount of irony in this statement, and I'm not sure if you realize it.

Vieve

« Reply #20 on: 28 Jun 2010, 16:50 »

You forgot to mention the person who planted the 'bomb' is also a majority shareholder in Carthum Conglomerate.  :D

I wish I was that awesome.

Not only a majority shareholder, but the corp in question was also responsible for getting Lai Dai to invest in Carthum.

I cannot be that awesome.  It saddens me.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2010, 17:14 »

[admin]Please keep in mind that people aren't to be denigrated here, whether they are members of the forum or not.Consider explaining to people how you think they could improve, rather than expounding here on what they do wrong.[/admin]

That being said, godmodding isn't ok. I just wonder if some people have never run into RP conventions that would help them get interaction etc. in the future.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2010, 17:43 »

I do think there needs to be a sort of crash VR environment. Place for people to and basically fuck around.

I have made this channel. Currently its a VR Nightclub called 'Carbon Freeze' but it can evolve into whatever people want it to be. The idea is basically a neutral ground, in VR, where people can hang out, mess around, occasionally do something productive in, and basically just use as a first contact point.

I will not be actively monitoring everything in there. As far as I'm concerned, your all adults, and should be able to handle yourselves as such.

And the summit can go back to what it was when I started eve, the thing that kept be out of RPing to begin with: An endless back and forth between political parties of differing views,  *SNIP* - Havo
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 19:49 by Havohej »
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2010, 21:25 »

I don't understand "the Summit" anymore.  :ugh:

Ditto.

I never really paid all that much attention to The Summit, and I still dont really. That being said it has gotten kinda bad in there from what Ive seen. I never see any actual discussion in there anymore. Though, that may have more to do with my actual play times that the channel itself.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2010, 23:37 »

I'm inclined to prefer The Summit's old version simply for it seemed much more orderly.

However I do think the virtual environment may have been a nice change of pace, but the clear lack of moderation was the issue. One could point fingers at people, but at the end of the day there was not enough rule enforcing going from what I saw. Maybe it was the lack of moderators, or maybe it was a lack of people reporting them - so on so forth.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jun 2010, 04:12 »

I'm inclined to prefer The Summit's old version simply for it seemed much more orderly.

However I do think the virtual environment may have been a nice change of pace, but the clear lack of moderation was the issue. One could point fingers at people, but at the end of the day there was not enough rule enforcing going from what I saw. Maybe it was the lack of moderators, or maybe it was a lack of people reporting them - so on so forth.

Pretty much this.

However, Nikita has created a new channel as she has said so I think it'll all work out now.  :bear:

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #26 on: 29 Jun 2010, 07:44 »

I liked it when it was without all the emoting and virtual chairs and shit.  I can't stand emote rp. /sip

But the main problem is the influx of rp newbies just don't know any better.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 2010, 07:52 »

Gotta say I prefer the good old chitchat channel style as well where you can drop a snarky comment here and there without much need to pay attention to where someones VR chair might be. Nice to see it returning to that format again.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #28 on: 29 Jun 2010, 08:41 »

I never minded the VR, and was actually sorta discouraged to RP the first few times I tried before it became VR.
The issue is that the summit is a IC starting point, its generally where people get their first RP experience, and in my case, I felt like I was blocked from the community by the Summit. Its nice to be able to have philosophical discussions, and complex big issue debates, but those things scare noobies who don't understand the game enough and if they can't get involved...well...it keeps them out of the community.
I agree there needs to be a big IC channel for the big issues, but the summit is also the 'face' of RPing, and putting that in front, combined with the issues on the IGS forum, it scares people. It makes them think they can't get casually involved, it removes a lot of the fun from RPing for newer pilots. Which I think is the problem.

And yes, my VR dealie will help that, but unless my VR dealie is able to get the publicity that the Summit has, the Summit will remain the first contact point for IC interactions, and we need to keep that in mind.

Also, when I stop being lazy, I'll make a topic to get feedback and suggestions on how and in what way to set up the VR hangout so it is accessible to as many people as possible.

Till then it'll be a nightclub.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2010, 10:45 »

The problem is, there is no diplomacy between ideologues. Everyone is an extremist and everyone has taken immovable positions, so any discussion is eventually reduced to minor chit chat with a sprinkling of rabble-shouting egomania in between. Not to mention that most people roleplay to look for fights, not necessarily to 'roleplay an outcome' which may not result in war.

There are very few actual 'corporations' in the roleplay community, unlike the rest of New Eden. Corporations are driven by tangible needs, like resources, profit, and territory. That's a rarity amongst this lot, and sometimes I am saddened by that. (just my personal opinion)

So in general, I don't think it matters much whether it was VR or not, simply put the purpose of the channel is obsolete and it has no real 'goal'. A night club is obvious- people go there to dance and socialize. A bar is the same- drink and socialize. A diplomacy channel is, not diplomacy when none happens there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4