Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Reasons for you and your character's patriotism/loyalty/ideology  (Read 8883 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

Hilion Narath:

He is loyalish to the Cartel because he spent his entire adult life - or nearly - working for them. He has issues with empires-style authority and is always on the lookout for the big 'score' rather than following wht he considers a boring, slow 'career' method of building a life.  :D

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain

I miss Hillion. That's the fucker that gave Lillith the nickname of Soul Stealer, I think. . .

Zag

Dear old Dad combined with a duty complex.

As for myself, when I started with Zag I thought it would be interesting playing a Matari less interested with slavery and the Empire and rather a following a more pragmatic Federal ideology. I was relatively new to RP in general at the time and wanted to explore (in certain aspects) what it was to be a well assimilated Minmatar in the Federation.

Sure I got my fair share of, "Your RP is wrong" at the time, but hey I don't think most people now look at Zag and see anything other than an honest Gallentean.

I've never felt the need to explain the reasons for Zag's worldview to myself. I know the man he his and just follow my instincts and allow things to flow naturally. Also, I'm lazy.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Sure I got my fair share of, "Your RP is wrong" at the time, but hey I don't think most people now look at Zag and see anything other than an honest Gallentean

Really? Those Matar/Amarr RPers need to pay attention to PF outside of, well, Matar/Amarr. One-third of the Fed is Minmatar after all, or a fifth of the total population

But yeah, interesting to see how Zag is pretty much seen as Gallente fully now.

Zag

Those Matar/Amarr RPers need to pay attention to PF outside of, well, Matar/Amarr.

Early elements of the Intaki dissident movement actually, who could not seem to know how to react to a Minmatar acting so... Gallentean. There has never been any real interaction between Zag and more traditional Minmatar and I'm in no position to comment as to the perceptions they may hold.

To be fair, I think most people are well aware that Minmatar are a major component in the Federation. Perhaps it's just not as intriguing in playing a Federal Matari compared to playing on the traditional aspects of Minmatar culture. (Same Gallentean, different skin).

Hamish Grayson

I've always found Mithfindel and Zagamesh to be very interesting and unique characters.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

Sure I got my fair share of, "Your RP is wrong" at the time, but hey I don't think most people now look at Zag and see anything other than an honest Gallentean

Really? Those Matar/Amarr RPers need to pay attention to PF outside of, well, Matar/Amarr. One-third of the Fed is Minmatar after all, or a fifth of the total population

But yeah, interesting to see how Zag is pretty much seen as Gallente fully now.
Actually, no.  You need to pay attention to PF outside of, well, Gallente/Caldari.  One third of the Fed population being Minmatar doesn't mean all Minmatars thing the Federation is the ideal government and culture of milk and honey.  Many Minmatars see the Federation as a terrible and destructive influence on Minmatar culture by way of political bullying during the notoriously weak Midular regime and consider that one-third Minmatar population to be race traitors and equally weak.  To Havo's perspective, a Minmatar choosing to be Gallentean is just a hair's breadth above an Ammatar on the Akheteru Race-Traitor Scaleā„¢.

Edit:  More to the point, though, I've seen you and several other GalFed RPers make arguments like this before when the Intaki/ILF vs. GalFed stuff was really heating up last year.  The argument is basically "But PF says xxxxxxxxx so your character is supposed to think/feel/believe xxxxxxxxxxxx."  EVE doesn't work that way.  If it did, there'd be nothing but loyalists and they'd all be 100% faithful to their respective empire's power bloc and it might as well be called Alliance vs. Horde.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2010, 09:36 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Didn't say that Havo, was saying that it is not "wrong" to RP an ultranationalist Federal RPer as Minmatar, or any other bloodline.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums

Because roleplaying someone who takes the term "khanid" as an offense, being of khanid racial descent, is fun?  ;)

Lae's one of those not-all-that-rare khanids whose ancestors broke away from Khanid II when he became an apostate and showed the empire the literal finger.
As such a certain degree of wanting to be more amarrian than the amarr is not only healthy, but also natural. Add to that a rather traditional upbringing, a solid and down-to-the-ground faith into God... and of course the by now innumerable times non amarrians have insulted and/or freaked her out it's quite clear why she's a very stout amarr loyalist.  :)

Zag

One third of the Fed population being Minmatar doesn't mean all Minmatars thing the Federation is the ideal government and culture of milk and honey.

Not sure if your post was directed at me (if at all) but no, it was never my intention to portray the Federation as the promised land for the Minmatar. Whilst Zag's experience in the Federation has generally been positive* this of course does not translate to all Minmatar in the Federation. As a migrant population there are both positive and negative aspects to growing up in the Federation.

Sure, for some it may very well be the land of opportunity and many Minmatar may enjoy a standard of living above what they could hope for in the Republic living and working in the Federation. They, over two or more generations become well integrated and their off-spring may very well come to identify more with their adopted Federation than the Republic of their parents. Their only interaction with Matari culture being whatever neatly packaged and exploitative media outlet decides is in vogue.

Then there would also be the first-generation immigrants and others who come over to the Federation and might find themselves stuck in borderworld ghettos with a Federal administration ill-equipped to handle the influx. There they might end up in poverty without jobs or prospects and entirely dependent on Federal hand-outs. Then there's the other negative issues migrant populations face: discrimination, alienation and the pressure to assimilate.

However, there is a significant Matari population in the Federation and it is up to players to determine the experience of their character if they do decide to play a Minmatar from the Federation. The Federation is large enough for that experience to be either positive or negative.

As for throwing the PF bible to win debates, I tend to agree. People should concern themselves more with plausibility within the fiction and less if someones RP does not agree line for line with the Holy CCP See.

*As the illegitimate son of a Father who claims descent from a proud blue-blooded Gallentean family, it's not like Zag did not experience discrimination as a child due to his heritage not only as a Minmatar but in particular one of those, 'Filthy Thukker gypsies." Both from not only his own family but also the old money aristocrats in general.

In fact, much of Zag's outlook in life is shaped as I said by an oppressive Father he wants to honour and embarrassment over his own heritage.

Isobel Mitar

• Egger

I have found comparing the Federation to the Western countries and the Republic to Africa one useful parallel in considering the possible and often ambivalent feelings Minmatars might have towards the Gallente.

As PF and news suggest the Republic/Federation relationship shares some of the same characteristics and issues (while, naturally, not sharing others), I've found the parallel useful in milking for ideas about possible approaches.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain

I have found comparing the Federation to the Western countries and the Republic to Africa one useful parallel in considering the possible and often ambivalent feelings Minmatars might have towards the Gallente.

Given that those are their inspirations, accordingly, that's a safe comparison to make.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

Esna is loyal to God and Empire, but neither fanatic to the point of blindness nor paritcularly loyal to all aspects of the Empire.

In this respect, he could be called highly idealistic, but patriotic only to a point. For example, he firmly believes that slavery in the Empire, once excised of the abuse and hypocrisy it is currently is riddled with, will gradually be accepted.

However, he's also perfectly willing to call out others in the Empire who, as he sees it, besmirch the Empire's image or contribute to the hatred aimed at it; he's also willing to (and has in the past) participated in military action against perpetrators of more flagrant or horrific abuses. In his mind, these actions, while they could be seen as counterproductive by some, are needed to bring the Empire into a new age of acceptance, both of other cultures and by the other empires.

However, he doesn't do this soley because he feels a need to shake things up in the Empire or likes things better his way - rather, he feels that the only way to perpetuate and expand the following of the Amarrian religion is to bring the Empire into a new age; to not do anything will only cause the Empire to become more hated and secluded, imperiling the chance of expanding the follwoing of God.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

Malaneth Serir:

She's a Blooder, of a sort. She's a sociopath, among other issues, and so like many large organizations, the Blooders were a place where she could go far. She's an adherent of a 'heretical' sub-sect that thinks the drinking of blood is blasphemous cause that's who she joined up with when she joined. Also it gives her an excuse to cut up other Blooders.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette

Paradoxical as it may sound, Katla remains a Nation loyalist because she wants to be in total control of her own mind. And also, because living under a totalitarian regime where everyone is closely monitored and controlled is the only way for her to feel free.

It's complicated.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4