Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Imperial Human Resources is a well-known Amarrian slave company.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Is the back & forth fun?  (Read 11649 times)

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
Re: Is the back & forth fun?
« Reply #30 on: 21 Jun 2010, 20:51 »

Possibly if we spelt it correctly, you'd have more luck.

Try Ordure. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ordure

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

The Cosmopolite

• Lord of Misrule
  • Wetgraver
    • eve-chatsubo OOC Forums
« Reply #31 on: 22 Jun 2010, 09:33 »

My apologies, a slip of the braincells (I won't say it was a slip of the fingers, I knew it was spelt that way so not justifiable). Ah well.

But returning to the topic, it was ever thus. This is, in part, what happens when you RP on a forum. A forum is a medium and like most media it tends to shape that which is communicated (or is being attempted to be communicated).

Cos

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
« Reply #32 on: 25 Jun 2010, 11:08 »

I tend to avoid the IGS as well unless I'm really bored at work. 

Someone else mentioned after 5 years being tired of the same old stuff.  I'm just a little beyond my first year in EVE and even I'm tired of reading the same ole arguements by the same ole people.

Also, and this is just a personal annoyance, I don't like the way the arguements are done.  Someone posts.  Then another person posts under it, dividing up the original post into sections with commentary on how they are utterly stupid.  Then a third person takes that post, dissects that one, with their commentary.  And so on and so on.  That kind of formatting drives me insane and I tend to not read it.

But occassionaly there are really good posts there.  So thats why I go back, I guess.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #33 on: 25 Jun 2010, 18:36 »

I used to love it, but people started taking things a little bit too far and in some cases, way too far, and after a while it just wasn't as fun anymore.

Vikarion

« Reply #34 on: 25 Jun 2010, 21:16 »

Personally, I think that the IGS is the primary forum for the "black and white" arguments of each faction. I save the "gray area" RP for more private boards and interactions - on the whole, I've never really become bored with just trying to rip your opponent to shreds while defending your own position. It's a bit like a boxing match.

If you don't like threads that go that direction, it's certainly possible to post differently. But if the majority of the players prefer a good argument to a session of diplomatic dialogue, well, that's what's going to happen.

Mebrithiel

• My main is my falcon alt ♥
  • Egger
  • A wild Meb approaches!
    • Blood Inquisition
« Reply #35 on: 11 Jul 2010, 11:36 »

I thoroughly enjoy the IGS sometimes. Thankfully, Meb and I share a passion for comedy both IC and OOC, so the IGS offers a way to take the mic outta serious people.

Especially useful if Meb's not in a realistic situation to go bring the fight to them, or I'm in a lack of Eve position, being in a place or on my mobile on the toilet/bus  :lol:

I sometimes think people take all of it too seriously OOC. You're chars live in the gritty evil world of eve and can afford to be serious, but our world is just a pile of shite and if a game adds even more stress on you after what life does already, then I think you should chill a bit  ;)

Life's tough. Eve's a game. Play the game!  (removes unnecessary smiley as quota of 2 already reached)

Tomahawk Bliss

• Cut Yo' Face
  • Clonejack
« Reply #36 on: 11 Jul 2010, 17:15 »

meh, its a place to make announcments which are IC and yet still leak into the entire game.

IGS serves a purpose and it is exactly as it will always be.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #37 on: 11 Jul 2010, 21:59 »

That doesn't mean it is exactly as it should be.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #38 on: 11 Jul 2010, 22:03 »

Nor even remotely.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 11 Jul 2010, 22:55 »

Nor even remotely.

Firmly agreed. And I'm a regular.

Being a regular, I "regularly" feel like I ought to be wearing hip-waders.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jul 2010, 07:45 »

If a RL politician makes a public statement, then you can bet that his opponents will do everything in their power to make their views on the subject known.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #41 on: 13 Jul 2010, 08:49 »

Yes, and the rest of us roll our eyes at them and keep moving. Nobody is swayed by Fox News / Limbaugh / Beck / Palin to believe something new, and the same for folks opposing them.

Personally, even though I didn't get it done in time, I like seeing things like the Inventors Summit. The decryption threads related to the Sansha event series and Verone's posting of the contact with Kuvakei also stand out as interesting.

"Die slaver" "Come be redeemed thru servitude" "no u" really does get old.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 13 Jul 2010, 08:54 »

I'd rather deal with the slaver crap than:

(Insert thread full of useful stuff)
(Add post by Jade, content irrelevant, but often on topic and also interesting)
(Add a bunch of posts by people that haven't given a crap about the topic at all until Jade posted)
(Thread becomes a steaming shit pile)

^ That is an example where IGS fails, and it isn't failing because of the same tired arguments, it's failing because people have a bug up their ass about Jade and stalk him in IGS. As much as people are going to start threads on Chatsubo and act like Jade's this big stomping demon that goes around ruining threads, he's actually not the one that causes them to break down. People seeing him post and then immediately going on the attack even when they would never have even looked at the thread otherwise are the cause.

Jade gets a bad rap. He's no angel and I'm certainly not trumpeting for him as we have our issues as well, but he's certainly not the cause of as many of the problems that he is blamed for. Some? Sure. All? Hell no. Not even most.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #43 on: 13 Jul 2010, 09:15 »

Nor even remotely.

Firmly agreed. And I'm a regular.

Being a regular, I "regularly" feel like I ought to be wearing hip-waders.

Shall i fetch your snorkelmask also just in case?  ;)

Zag

« Reply #44 on: 13 Jul 2010, 10:09 »

I always did enjoy the IGS shenanigans Zag got into with Dex Nederland and Aria Jenneth. Every time Zag was forced to issue a statement due to the ever increasing mess that was Lokikamo Innova, I sometimes imagined him throwing his cat across the office, throwing his fists into the air, and in his best angry Kirk voice screaming, "Nederlaaaaaaaand!"

Then, after promptly putting his bald head through the monitor, he'd attempt to compose himself, put his CEO beret on and engage in some corporate-speak with his Caldari adversaries. It certainly was entertaining to engage the 'enemy' on an issue that did not have to involve genocide and full planetary vitrification. *coughs*

As for the state of the IGS, I tend to put it down there being really nothing new to say after seven years. It's like a really bad marriage where the participants are just raising the same old points and arguments out of rote. Beating of dead horses and all that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5