Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Vherokior tribe is a splinter tribe from the Starkmanir tribe? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Is the back & forth fun?  (Read 11648 times)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: Is the back & forth fun?
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jun 2010, 01:41 »

So, on IGS (or even in-game) we go back & forth over the same ground every time a discussion is begun.  My question is do people find this fun?

Most of the time, no new material is presented in these discussions and when new material is presented it tends to be degenerated into just being part of the same old material.

Are we effectively stuck in this loop?  Propaganda vs propaganda* with no way out until CCP tells us (for the empires)?

*If you do not think you are posting propaganda, um... you need to read your stuff as if you are not involved.

I like seeing back and forth between new people in factions and oldies helping out the new people with their arguments.

I dislike (read, burn holes with my eyes) oldies hijacking newbie threads with their old arguments that's down to a script in its performance.

I feel the hijacking creates an imposing atmosphere to new people trying to "get in" when you have single individuals crapping out multiple (2+) posts in response to 1(one) person. It's like what the hell guys. I don't mind oldies going at each other, it bugs me when they clockblock the newbies. Sure, same arguments, but its different people who haven't done it before.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2010, 07:53 »

I try to stay out of any thread on the IGS that looks like propaganda (often disguised as news, though the intend is obvious) or outright e-peen wavering. Though, maybe I am projecting my lack of interest in people talking about how great they are in real life to my characters in EVE.

And for people needing attention from CCP to "validate" their RP? I seriously pity them like I generally pity media whores.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #17 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:28 »

I try to stay out of any thread on the IGS that looks like propaganda (often disguised as news, though the intend is obvious) or outright e-peen wavering. Though, maybe I am projecting my lack of interest in people talking about how great they are in real life to my characters in EVE.

And for people needing attention from CCP to "validate" their RP? I seriously pity them like I generally pity media whores.

I guess you should pity me then. The ILF started out as a tiny little group ideologically somewhere in the middle of the Intaki separatism debate. I propagandized the hell out of the IGS. I argued my points with ardently Pro-Feds and counseled temperance to the violently Anti-Feds.

Over time, I won a few converts from both camps, but getting the other side to change their viewpoint is really only a small part of the propaganda activity. The real "earnings" from the time investment is attracting the undecideds to your side. There are new people coming into Eve all the time and they are reading the IGS and trying to figure out whats going on and who's doing what.

Being active on the IGS and cultivating the image of the ILF there allowed us to grow and prosper. We've gone from the upstart to leader of the Intaki movement and it took a fair bit of media whoring to do it.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2010, 08:51 by Saxon Hawke »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #18 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:45 »

I do agree that the Intaki RPers have carved out a fascinating niche that has received attention of various sorts from CCP.

But to expand on my earlier statement without knocking anybody, I personally have chosen to RP primarily in-game, both through my actions (e.g. working on standings, doing research and trade, etc.) as well as through interactions with other players. IGS just doesn't serve my individual needs, as it's not the sort of environment that lends itself to the things I enjoy.

It does make me wish we had a place for "traditional" forum RP. I wonder if CCP would mind if some of us used the EVE Fiction board, as forum RP could certainly be regarded as a type of collaborative storytelling. Alternately, perhaps a wiki page?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #19 on: 21 Jun 2010, 11:40 »

If traditional forum RP means what I think it means, I believe people have done it on IGS. There is a thread that's been running like, 6 years now, or so.

I've never really don'e forum RP of that sort, so I could be mixing up definitions and stuff.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jun 2010, 11:45 »

Got a link? I would love to see that I've totally misjudged the IGS.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:48 »

Possibly referring to this:

http://www.eveonline.com/iNgameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=91967&page=1

And...ohgodnostalgiaoverload. *sniff*

ETA:

Personally, I did enjoy a bit of banter with my Amarrian counterparts from time to time, but Wanoah was naturally a somewhat combative character in any case. Brutor with both brawn and some brains. :)
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2010, 12:50 by Wanoah »
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

The Cosmopolite

• Lord of Misrule
  • Wetgraver
    • eve-chatsubo OOC Forums
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:54 »

Possibly referring to this:

http://www.eveonline.com/iNgameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=91967&page=1

And...ohgodnostalgiaoverload. *sniff*

ETA:

Personally, I did enjoy a bit of banter with my Amarrian counterparts from time to time, but Wanoah was naturally a somewhat combative character in any case. Brutor with both brawn and some brains. :)

A month from auto-lock too. Though there seem to be a cadre of people who keep an eye on it and bump it in the nick of time whenever it gets close.

As for this thread's main topic... Hard to know what to say except that I think there is too much generalisation going on here and the odure being heaped on the heads of 'oldsters' is amusing.

Cosmo

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 21 Jun 2010, 13:35 »

Hm, maybe for the need to attract people to the cause, media whoring can be necessary, though an in-game recruitment drive would properly be more effective. But in the case of people finding interest of the story you are telling and aspect of EVE you are presenting, I have only found the need to present an interesting and maybe original idea and an amazing number of people will know who you are. Little posting on the IGS seems to be really needed and I most certainly do not need the ISD to write stuff about me as motivation for RP and to tell my own story. In fact, I would prefer if they did not.

Truth be told, the Intaki separatist movement is a very interesting topic and I did have plans of making a character and sign up for it too. But, things came in the way... as usual. :|
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 21 Jun 2010, 13:37 »

As for this thread's main topic... Hard to know what to say except that I think there is too much generalisation going on here and the odure being heaped on the heads of 'oldsters' is amusing.

What does that mean?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #25 on: 21 Jun 2010, 13:53 »

There was a thing, teh first space nun war, where it was me, and the opponent was a newish character.

So, we'd set ourselves up for a (very) small war, and it was fun to RP it all out. Had lots of interesting things going on in it.

As I recall, on the IGS threads about it, there were several older players than I/my opponent, who had commented on it, and some may have become involved beyond comments. (I think there was a subsequent war between other people as a result).

The thing is though, that Space Nun War I, is mine/my opponents. Some people would use it to further their arguments. "See, the Matari are At It Again" or "Behold, for the Amarr are At It Again", and I'll probably not express this all that well, but can't they let us fight our war in peace?

Maybe other small/new entities have similar things. Part of IGS is finding opponents to have RP wars with, and finding one that would be a reasonable match. Having much larger groups get involved can maybe feel a bit like your character becoming a bit-part actor in your character's own life, which is a bit :s

As for arguments about stuff, occasionally, the use of scriptures can be fun for me, arguing about interpretations, but at the same time, I don't know if there's any effect on the other people. Someone comes out with a scripture quote and talks about it, it affects me, by making me think "how would Lou counter that?" which can be nice, but do my counter-statements have similar effects on the other people in the thread? I have no idea. If there is no effect, then I am wasting my time typing a response, but not wasting my time thinking a response, as I sometimes get ideas about things as a result.

\o/

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #26 on: 21 Jun 2010, 14:11 »

I don't know what you're talking aboot.

IGS is great.

:D

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2010, 18:47 »

Stopped reading the IGS months ago when the faction war threads became just really OOC. I am sure I am missing some absolute gems though. As for the back and forth, while it fits in character it bores me as much as endless political debates do. I can enjoy a good debate but after five years on the same damn topic it really gets fucking old  :bash: And while in real life you might reach a solution at some point in EVE some things aren't going to go anywhere until the fiction team takes them somewhere.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 21 Jun 2010, 19:37 »

What does that mean?

Odure is a polite way of referring to shit - I've heard it used non-rhetorically in reference to compost heaps full of horse-shit. Probably from old French for "dirty".

Rhetorically, to "heap odure on someone" is a somewhat archaic way of saying that you're giving abuse to someone. Perhaps unfairly, perhaps excessively, perhaps not.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jun 2010, 20:35 »

I suspect it's just French, I can't find any references to it in English anywhere (including multiple dictionaries).

That said, I think many of us who still feel as though we're "new" certainly do feel the divide. Probably not a topic for this particular thread, however.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5