Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Jin-Mei homeworlds of Lirsautton III and V are called Chakaux and Chandeille respectively?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Is the back & forth fun?  (Read 11647 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Is the back & forth fun?
« on: 20 Jun 2010, 13:58 »

So, on IGS (or even in-game) we go back & forth over the same ground every time a discussion is begun.  My question is do people find this fun?

Most of the time, no new material is presented in these discussions and when new material is presented it tends to be degenerated into just being part of the same old material.

Are we effectively stuck in this loop?  Propaganda vs propaganda* with no way out until CCP tells us (for the empires)?

*If you do not think you are posting propaganda, um... you need to read your stuff as if you are not involved.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: Is the back & forth fun?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2010, 14:27 »

I used to post a lot on IGS years ago. Not so much anymore.

At some point you realize that most of what you would say on a lot of threads, you've already said many times.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2010, 14:31 »

a lot of threads by small/newer entities get hi-jacked and pages of junk added by older entities going over the same arguments with other older entities.

Not overly interesting to read.
\o/

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2010, 14:38 »

Not missing it in the slightest.

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2010, 15:01 »

Used to post on it a great deal, but realized this fact and now I only do when something really interesting comes up or when it coincides with KPV's current goals. So no, I suppose not.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2010, 15:10 »

This is at least 50% of why I usually ignore IGS.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2010, 20:05 »

Yeah Im not a big fan either to be honest. I try to post in some threads Ember may feel strongly about without resorting to the same old propaganda I see. Other than that I usually only go for interesting new stuff like the  perfume guy or other fun things people do from time to time.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Vieve

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2010, 21:30 »

If my reply to a IC thread needs to be broken down into multiple posts in order to fit everything1 in, I abandon it, reasoning that the thread's likely already gone into a death spiral, and my contribution will only make it worse.  Fortunately, since the majority of my characters hate turning personal business into a public spectacle, my "meta-decision" to keep their mouths shut doesn't usually require me to jump through many IC hoops.

1This state also suggests to me that the IC vitriol's probably got more than a hint of OOC sentiment in it.

Edit:  And yes, after having read this, I can definitely say that almost any IC reply I could make to this thread would have more than a hint of OOC sentiment in it.

« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2010, 21:41 by Vieve »

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2010, 21:51 »

I've seen more than my share of these kinds of posts (about the IGS), and they usually never end well.

I always ask myself when I post: what is the purpose of responding? If you (as in your character) are trading barbs with an ideological foe, do you really think one side is going to concede their stance? If slavers and freedom fighters are willing to murder each other to prove a point, what is the intellectual value of tit-for-tat arguments?

For me, the only purpose would be to sway a neutral audience towards my cause, but seeing as how everyone's eyes glaze over when forum discussions get snipey and pendantic, one would think that diplomats would be smarter about controlling their corporate image.

Don'tcha think?  ;)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2010, 22:46 »

For me, the only purpose would be to sway a neutral audience towards my cause, but seeing as how everyone's eyes glaze over when forum discussions get snipey and pendantic, one would think that diplomats would be smarter about controlling their corporate image.
Well part of the response to this is to establish a more public corporate image and ensuring your character's views are seen, not just by other RPers, but by CCP.

If for example all the Amarr RPers went slight for the next year and never responded in anyway to the Empire's detractors, I suspect the background landscape would change.  The non-Amarrian RPers would begin to have a direct impact on how new RPers view the Empire without any foil to compare it against.

This gets back to the Sansha RPers fighting the "Borg"-image.  If all anyone on IGS says about the Sansha is they are like the Borg, then pretty soon that is all that remains.

Koronakesh

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2010, 22:52 »

So, on IGS (or even in-game) we go back & forth over the same ground every time a discussion is begun.  My question is do people find this fun?

Most of the time, no new material is presented in these discussions and when new material is presented it tends to be degenerated into just being part of the same old material.

Are we effectively stuck in this loop?  Propaganda vs propaganda* with no way out until CCP tells us (for the empires)?

*If you do not think you are posting propaganda, um... you need to read your stuff as if you are not involved.

Give me a day to secure permission, and I can post a few pages of epic Jekaterine ranting about the recursive idiocy of IGS argument.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2010, 22:54 »

Wait, what? You want to be seen by CCP?  :|

...alright. I guess. But the example you provided there was an extreme. No one said, don't post, but holy shit, six pages of 'ur fat' 'nuh uh' 'ya huh' back-and-forth b.s. gets old pretty fast.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2010, 22:59 »

Some people do; they enjoy positive recognition from the game's developers.

So far it appears that IGS is not particularly worthwhile as a forum;  so should it be gotten rid of?

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2010, 23:24 »

IGS could use some moderation for flaming.

Also, I know this might be difficult for many of us, but not every IGS thread needs to be a debate.  :P
Believe it or not, there are other ways of communicating on there other than nit-picking every point of a post, even with your enemies.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2010, 23:33 by Kazzzi »

Vikarion

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2010, 23:45 »

I personally find the back-and-forth very fun. For those who don't...well, you don't have to post there, either. If you're looking for a moderated-for-personal-attacks IC board, why not create one?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5