Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Blood Raider elites do not generally mix with the rest of the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 50)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Planet RP (or RP on planets)  (Read 5518 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Planet RP (or RP on planets)
« on: 19 Jun 2010, 17:55 »

They say it takes a while to get between space and planets, but hello? Dropships anyone?

With the creation of our own facilities with juicy PF on how they are run and operate exactly, is there little reason for Seriphyn to be able to hop onto a planetary shuttle (too small to appear on ship scanners) and fly down to a planet, spend a couple hours hunting in the rural lowsec landscape, then hopping back onto the ship, flying up and out, and back to station and pod?

There is a lot of RP that can be enjoyed on planets, and I think the misconception that planetary travel ain't easy is a hinderance.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Planet RP (or RP on planets)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2010, 18:17 »

Vieve

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2010, 18:28 »

I don't read your blogs damnit! Screw your blogs! ('cause it reminds me of what sort of awesome RP I'm missing out on >_>)

But yeah. Cool.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2010, 22:20 »

I've always Rped that I could go to planets, I did this by ingame by having a bookmark inside the planet in question and warping there
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2010, 08:02 »

Really the only limitation would be acceleration - above a certain acceleration/deceleration, humans don't do so well. That said, I'm sure they have all kinds of inertial dampers/compensators to help with that, so... yeah. Nothing really wrong at all.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2010, 15:18 »

There is a lot of RP that can be enjoyed on planets, and I think the misconception that planetary travel ain't easy is a hinderance.

I haven't seen anyone say that it isn't easy, just that it isn't quick. I've seen people who flit down to the planet and back in half an hour, and that hurts some people's SOD.

I'd expect it to take an hour or so to land, and another hour to take off and get to a station, depending on ATC, schedules and the atmosphere/gravity of the planet in question.  If you played something similar to that, I wouldn't have any issues at all about you visiting a planet.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2010, 15:30 »

then how exactly do the sansha steal people again?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2010, 16:03 »

Sansha wouldn't have to notify orbit traffic control, and request takeoff/landing slots.
\o/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2010, 16:26 »

Sansha wouldn't have to notify orbit traffic control, and request takeoff/landing slots.

And we're capsuleers, we tell them we want to land RIGHT NOW, they'll get us on the ground.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2010, 16:27 »

Or, you know, don't land at a spaceport.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2010, 17:26 »

There was an early chron that said planetary interaction was difficult. It's pretty much been forgotten about. RP it as breakthroughs in tech allowing easier trade between the ground and space.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2010, 19:29 »

And given how fast we can launch stuff to or from a customs office (admittedly a little faster than one would expect IRL), it's hard to justify taking two hours to RP the landing or whatever. That's a level of hardcoreness I think many of us would prefer to avoid.

Or, you know, stay stationside like the cool pilots. 8)

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2010, 19:34 »

which is precisely my point.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2010, 20:20 »

spend a couple hours hunting in the rural lowsec landscape

So they don't have a single hunting park under any of those huge Gallente station domes?  In a cluster this big, if you can think of it, it's probably out there.  Like Rule #34.

Quote from: Casiella
stay stationside like the cool pilots

Not that I don't appreciate Seriphyn's original point (that there is good RP to be had planetside), but Casiella kind of hit on something that I think we're overlooking.  Space stations are truly enormous city-like structures and there are thousands of them.  When you're a capsuleer who can zip back and forth between stations in seconds and across constellations and regions in minutes and you have access to all the best perks and services, why take the time to enter deep gravity wells?  Everything you could want is available to you in space.

That being said, getting in and out of a planetary gravity well takes more power than just docking and undocking from a space station.  Still, it seems the heavy lift capabilities in use at our (top notch) PI spaceports are such that launch and landing can nevertheless be done rather quickly and in rapid succession with industrial goods.  High acceleration/deceleration limits for freight transport makes that possible. 

Passengers can't tolerate those forces quite as well, I'm sure, but a 30 minute "slow" descent from station to surface seems within reason for civilian traffic (and for RP).  Say... 5-10 minutes acceleration, some unpowered descent, and then a 5-10 minute braking burn, flaring just before touchdown?  Military shuttles could probably do it faster, but passengers will be less comfortable.  Who knows how the Sansha dropships do it.  Magic wormhole tech maybe.
Pages: [1] 2 3