Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Naqam (A Sansha aligned capsuleer corporation) manufactured the Naqam Heavy Bioindustries Ultra Happy Chip™? It was player created - see advertisements on the Eve Wiki!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Angels, Serpentis, and the Syndicate  (Read 7052 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: Angels, Serpentis, and the Syndicate
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jun 2010, 00:44 »

Ooo, neat ideas.

That might fall in line with the rumors that they gained much of their power from reverse-engineered Jovian tech. Which might further suggest that some folks might try to get access to their data through friendlier means than blowing up asteroid belt patrols... ;)

The only problem here is one that caught me sharply offguard a while back: the Angels are REALLY protective of that tech.

Like, homicidally.

I wish I could remember exactly what the source was (don't have time to go looking right now-- help?), but it seems people who spread rumors (or worse, try to follow them up) of Jovian tech in Angel hands tend to disappear.

It took me aback a bit when I found out. Aria co-founded Ghost Festival partly with exactly that end in mind, and hadn't been exactly quiet about that on IGS.

It caused some trouble. Maybe fun trouble, as it turns out, but that's another story.

Anyhow, yeah, I keep running into roleplayers hunting this particular treasure. In "canonical" practice, it should probably be a deeply dangerous thing to do.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #31 on: 05 Jul 2010, 12:25 »

This could also point up more differences between "Curse Angels" and the rest: the RSS doesn't really like the Cartel moving in on Republic territory, but everywhere else is sort of fair game, maybe?

Now that Im thinking about it. The RSS could also use the Cartel against its enemies. Example: Known Cartel raiding party travels through Republic space heading to Amarr space. The RSS knows who they are and what they will most likely do, but the Amarr is an enemy of the Republic so they just let them go. I know its not exactly using the Cartel, but turning a blind eye to a priate on his way to do someone harm(even if it is an enemy) isnt something most security/police/military forces would do.

I could imagine situations along the borders of the Republic especially where the local RSS or Fleet would turn a blind eye to transiting Angels, maybe especially in return for those Angels not actively raiding in that local area. Win-Win.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 05 Jul 2010, 15:11 »

Being protective of their tech likely also colours the conflict between the Angels and the Sansha - both are factions with technological secrets. Angels have their Jovian (and possibly Sleeper) tech, Sansha has his own (and possibly Jovian) tech.

And yes, someone could likely try to do business with the Angels based on supply of advanced technology. Like Serpentis and booster research and manufacture - something the Angels do likely in-house, as well, but Serpentis very likely has much more experience on the field.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #33 on: 09 Jul 2010, 15:39 »

Ooo, neat ideas.

That might fall in line with the rumors that they gained much of their power from reverse-engineered Jovian tech. Which might further suggest that some folks might try to get access to their data through friendlier means than blowing up asteroid belt patrols... ;)

The only problem here is one that caught me sharply offguard a while back: the Angels are REALLY protective of that tech.

Like, homicidally.

I wish I could remember exactly what the source was (don't have time to go looking right now-- help?), but it seems people who spread rumors (or worse, try to follow them up) of Jovian tech in Angel hands tend to disappear.

It took me aback a bit when I found out. Aria co-founded Ghost Festival partly with exactly that end in mind, and hadn't been exactly quiet about that on IGS.

It caused some trouble. Maybe fun trouble, as it turns out, but that's another story.

Anyhow, yeah, I keep running into roleplayers hunting this particular treasure. In "canonical" practice, it should probably be a deeply dangerous thing to do.

See, that's odd, because it seems like a certain amount of their power comes not just from having good tech, but from the idea that their tech is so much better. It makes others hesitant to challenge them.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #34 on: 09 Jul 2010, 16:38 »

See, that's odd, because it seems like a certain amount of their power comes not just from having good tech, but from the idea that their tech is so much better. It makes others hesitant to challenge them.

better yes, they want people to know that, but if it gets more specific then that, then the person is a problem, a threat, they know too much.

Which I believe strengthens the 'Jovians in the Cartel' argument
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #35 on: 18 Jul 2010, 05:04 »

Well, I think it is pretty well established that the Jovians have their fingers in a wide variety of pies, though generally not directly.

I could see that there is probably a difference between the general rumor 'Cartel uses salvaged Jovian tech' and someone trying to find out secrets. Aria seems to argue that even the general rumor is enough for the Cartel to take action to 'contain' the person, though?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:20 »

Aria, did you ever find that source?

I'm revamping a set of ideas for IG cooperation between RSS and the Cartel, particularly where the RSS is primarily focused on serious threats to the Republic (e.g. the Amarr / Caldari coalition). I'd like to kick around these ideas with more of you that have some interest in this area.
Pages: 1 2 [3]