Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

As part of its political goal to make the State stronger economically, Lai Dai is the primary supporter of the School of Applied Knowledge. Check out more here!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: DUST 514  (Read 33197 times)

Hurs Sokira

Re: DUST 514
« Reply #225 on: 06 Jun 2011, 19:21 »

Good exposure nonetheless.
Exposure of WHAT?! 99% of the audience had no clue what EVE is and why anyone should care about the planets.

The retarded Medieval Moves (Good Job Jeremy!) got ten times more exposure and made more sense than Dust.

God, what a bunch of losers.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #226 on: 06 Jun 2011, 19:22 »

K, so that was basically the same thing as the last trailer that got released.

Color me unexcited. 

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #227 on: 06 Jun 2011, 19:25 »

I kinda wish this was on any other system than the PS3. I'm not terribly confident of their ability to protect my information at the moment.  :P

Hurs Sokira

« Reply #228 on: 06 Jun 2011, 19:34 »

So, basically Dust is a ploy to force EVE players to buy PS3?

"Buy PS3 and play Dust, or your Moros gets it!"

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #229 on: 06 Jun 2011, 19:40 »

Well, it's gonna be out much earlier than I expected for sure. Other than, color me underwhelmed.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #230 on: 06 Jun 2011, 19:48 »

The "Playstation Move" functionality has me apprehensive; apparently it was not exactly fantastic with Killzone 3, and that's one of Sony's own products.

However, am I understanding correctly that it's also going to be on an upcoming portable? That's interesting, if true.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #231 on: 06 Jun 2011, 19:49 »

The likely reason for this move is two-fold (though this is my speculation):

1. M$ is ridiculously strict on what developers can and can't do on Xbox Live. I wouldn't be surprised if they did not allow CCP to host their own servers for DUST. They're also known for holding patches back for games even when the devs say they are ready.

2. The M$ Points system is ridiculous insofar as microtransactions are concerned. If I remember right, they also take X amount of revenue from the publisher who needs to use it.

Possible #3. The PS Vita hardware may be interesting, but I've not seen specs yet.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #232 on: 06 Jun 2011, 19:58 »

Kyoko:

Well, that sounds plausible enough.

As a further thought, I suspect that Sony's systems will either be fairly hacker-resistant by next spring or down for good. The current attacks may not literally be an evolutionary pressure, but that's mostly because PSN lacks non-metaphorical genes.

I wonder what "adapt or die" is in Japanese.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #233 on: 06 Jun 2011, 20:16 »

I wonder what "adapt or die" is in Japanese.

Kenzoku?  :twisted:

Actually, I said I was underwhelmed.. not sure if that's the right way to put it. It looked all right, but Hurs is right in at least some of his ebul rhetoric : the FPS competitors are looking pretty fuckin' awesome. They'll have to match them with gameplay. Let's hope that happens.

What I am a bit leery about was the implications that Eve-to-Dust interaction wouldn't be there at the start. Instead, they'd build and iterate on this. Really, that is starting to sound like a broken record. That's exactly the kind of talk and action that really started to kill my high hopes for Incarna.

I hope CCP's motto for Eve for the next year is "STAND AND DELIVER".

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #234 on: 06 Jun 2011, 20:18 »

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #235 on: 06 Jun 2011, 20:22 »

Well, if it flops, maybe that'll mean a port of DUST to the PC and free access for all EVE account holders.  After all, if sov is tied to it, that's the only way to keep EVE alive if it tanks.

Hurs Sokira

« Reply #236 on: 06 Jun 2011, 20:24 »

However, am I understanding correctly that it's also going to be on an upcoming portable? That's interesting, if true.
They "extending the experience" to an PS Via. Most likely one will be able to look up stats, impulse-buy upgrades for their soldier and connect with clan members (assuming there are any, and that's a big assumption).

Overall, classic case of groupthink. CCP got too excited about :vision: of linking console FPS to PC-based MMO and in the process completely forgot the fact that they actually need to provide a compelling reason for people to just play the damn game.

P.S. This is how you deliver :vision:, "Thunder Run" singleplayer from BF3.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #237 on: 06 Jun 2011, 20:28 »

Well, if it flops, maybe that'll mean a port of DUST to the PC and free access for all EVE account holders.  After all, if sov is tied to it, that's the only way to keep EVE alive if it tanks.

Sov will not likely be closely tied to it in the first handful of iterations. PI is more likely for launch.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #238 on: 06 Jun 2011, 20:30 »

P.S. This is how you deliver :vision:, "Thunder Run" singleplayer from BF3.

CCP isn't about single-player. You know that.

(But yes, that looks sweet.)

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #239 on: 06 Jun 2011, 20:35 »

I am excited as hell about this and have a character (if there is such a thing) and corp (again) planned out.

But then, I have a Playstation. How else to play LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19