Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Serpentis stole a Federation Navy Nyx, here is the  news item

Author Topic: EVE on 4GB RAM...  (Read 1040 times)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
EVE on 4GB RAM...
« on: 13 Jun 2013, 17:59 »

How shitty will it be?

I'm thinking of picking up this HP Laptop with 4GB... Will it work on dialed down graphics settings, or will it just be forums online?

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: EVE on 4GB RAM...
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2013, 18:09 »

moar specs pls
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2013, 18:12 »

Eve isn't too hard to run, unless you crank it way up. 4gb ram should be plenty - the graphics card (or integrated graphics) would be where you might run into obstacles (assuming it isn't an atom processor or something).

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2013, 18:15 »

I play with 4GB, and I can run 1 client with decent success (mid-high graphics settings, no effects, etc). FPS is actually terrible, but I suspect that has more to do with my video card and some persistent heat issues than the RAM or processor. During large fights I often dial down settings to a bare minimum, but things typically stay pretty playable.

Dualboxing (with one client minimized) is possible. Lowering settings is sometimes neccessary here as well.

EDIT - my specs for reference:
Intel i5-520M @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM in 2x2GB sticks
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2013, 18:26 »

moar specs pls
I don't remember - pretty basic though :/

I know it's plain jane integrated graphics though I recall seeing 2gb available video ram and 512mb dedicated (out of the overall 4gb).  Was on errands and stopped in to lomok at cheap laptops and that one was pretty much the best this hole in the wall had going for it.

Edit: Might be hunting you guys in a week or two, now :yar:
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2013, 18:28 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2013, 18:41 »

You'll probably be fine. I used to run Eve on my 5 year old MBP with 4GB of RAM. For crazily busy areas, I'd have to zoom out to maintain a decent framerate, but it was otherwise decent.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2013, 18:45 »

Mmm. You won't be gawking at epic vistas and glorious waves of explosions in fleet battles, but on an $700-800 laptop you ought to at least be able to get out and fly.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2013, 20:01 »

EVE can run pretty easily on older computers if you drop most the eyecandy.

The following programme will help you decipher more detailed specs from your computer;

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2013, 20:03 »

Sweet!

Next week, laptop.  Week after, that, connectivity and Eve-O subscription.

I better still have that Loki in my hangar... If not, Pilgrim's coming to afk-cloak a nullsec near you!

Now I need to decide whether to Du'uma Fiisi or join someone else's corp. 

* Havohej mumbles about Vince's hiatus and heads over to corp dev to ask more stupid questions.

Twitter

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2013, 04:11 »

I still used to be on 4Gb RAM on my desktop one year ago and it ran perfectly fine, max FPS, max settings, even on Incarna (which only really ask for GPU anyway). The thing you might be more tied to is the GPU tbh.

Drops in FPS normally come from the GPU. Freezes and huge loading times indicate RAM shortages (especially when swapping on the hard drive when out of memory).

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2013, 05:26 »

I run it on 2 GB RAM on my desktop. It certainly doesn't run on max settings, but I can participate in small fleet action with low graphics settings (and really, I don't enjoy the graphics anyway when in combat - as rarely as this occures nowadays anyway.).