Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a demonstration by the pro-cloning group Imperial Immortality Foundation was attacked by the Imperial Army using nanotoxin in YC106, resulting in numerous fatalities.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slavery in PF  (Read 4185 times)

Lyn Farel

Slavery in PF
« on: 05 Apr 2012, 09:01 »

Well, maybe some of you have already spotted that wiki article (i see some familiar names), but it is quite dense.

A lot of interesting heated points are covered, such as :

- how rogue slavers and Holders are dealt with in the Amarr society
- who can hold slaves (also in correlation with Ni-Kunnis that do not have a lot of Holders outside their homeworld Mishi) : usually Holders, but also a few commoners
- the difference between a Holder and a slaver
- how hard and unfrequent it is to get the right to hold slaves (be it for a slaver or a Holder), and how a matter of prestige it actually is, and how worth of it you have to be to be granted that right
- how outside propaganda about free slavery and mistreatment in the Empire is common is... well, ignorant propaganda.
- how actually most of the enslaved people these days are POWs or criminals (including Holders in extreme cases), and almost nothing else. The rest is composed of old slaves predating the CONCORD formation, though most of them have probably been freed by Jamyl, and also of illegal slaves, which are a minority.
- how Heideran and his successors used to set up continuous crackdowns on illegal slavers, especially on those acting outside imperial space.
- how it is forbidden and enforced by CONCORD treaties to enslave anywhere except on imperial, khanid, and ammatar territory where it is considered to be their own problem.
- how freedom fighters are labelled by CONCORD as terrorists and considered as such. A difference has to be made with the TLF though, which is totally legal, being part of the Militia Emergency Act.
- slave breeding practices confirmed.
- Some numbers : around 75-80% of Amarr slaves are minmatar, and the rest is mostly of their own people. Around 60% of Khanid slaves are minmatar, with a large gallente minority either.

Also, the main differences between slaves in every faction :

- Caldari : totally alien to them, and when they discovered it they considered it as suboptimal for business in practice (a slave does not consume even if his master does for him), and it is forbidden in their space. But they are totally neutral and indifferent on the matter when it comes to other cultures.
- Gallente : abhorred by the whole population, though still blossoming in low sec and isolated areas, with prostitution, etc.
- Khanid : a lot less faith and enlightement involved in the process, they consider slaves as tools and stock. They also lack of slaves so they used to raid a lot the Federation in particular before the CONCORD treaties. Also, very little aggression from freedom fighters, being too far for them.
- Ammatar : most slaves holders were actually of nefantar origin or commoners, amarrians having always turned a blind eye on that breach of protocol. A laissez faire policy aimed to act as a buffer against the Minmatar freedom fighters. But since Ardishapur is back, he brought back a lot of Holders with him and the Mandate is now closer to how it is in the Empire.

The main points I found relevant, but for once it makes the whole thing a lot less speculative and vague.
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2012, 09:04 by Lyn Farel »

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Slavery in PF
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr 2012, 12:28 »

One point

People throw around "all slaves are POWs or criminals" as a justification for slavery without actually thinking it through. Certianly rapists, murderes, thieves, etc, would fall in this category. 

But they dont actually think about how a theocracy would actually define a POW or a criminal.  If the 24th conquoers a new planet filled with Minmatar tribals,  guess what, theyre POWs.

As for criminals, I'm sure a lot of the definitions of criminality, if not most, would be driven by religion and doctrine.  Claim slavery is abhorrent?  Guess what, youre a heretic, and likely a criminal.  Deny the right of the Empress to rule?  Another crime, to the slave pens for you.

Of course the Amarr only enslave criminals and POWs, in their world view.  But that doesnt mean its how we would define POWs or criminals.
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2012, 12:47 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2012, 14:02 »

The article quite strongly suggests that Minmatar civilians haven't been defined as anything by Jamyl quite yet. It mentions that the dwindling numbers of professional slavers are hoping that the Empress will open captured Minmatar worlds for slave taking so that they'll be back in a job.

Fewer and fewer nobles have taken up the task in recent years, though the Elder Invasion and resumption of hostilities between the Empire and Republic has given slavers hope that they will soon be turned on the populations of occupied worlds.

However, it seems she has been taking her time on this matter and hasn't declared any decree that would contradict the current CONCORD regulations. Captured Minmatar territory is still Minmatar territory atm. This may change when FW replaces occupancy changes with sovreignty changes, however.

Other really good articles that are related:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Ealur_(race) - Ealurians!

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Human_Endurance_Program - Slave eugenics!

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Island_of_Amarr - Ancient Amarrian history, including the orgins of slavery!
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2012, 14:19 by Aldrith Shutaq »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #3 on: 05 Apr 2012, 14:53 »

One point

People throw around "all slaves are POWs or criminals" as a justification for slavery without actually thinking it through. Certianly rapists, murderes, thieves, etc, would fall in this category. 

But they dont actually think about how a theocracy would actually define a POW or a criminal.  If the 24th conquoers a new planet filled with Minmatar tribals,  guess what, theyre POWs.

As for criminals, I'm sure a lot of the definitions of criminality, if not most, would be driven by religion and doctrine.  Claim slavery is abhorrent?  Guess what, youre a heretic, and likely a criminal.  Deny the right of the Empress to rule?  Another crime, to the slave pens for you.

Of course the Amarr only enslave criminals and POWs, in their world view.  But that doesnt mean its how we would define POWs or criminals.

And on the other hand, that "we" (Minmatar and/or Gallente nationals, anyone who live in a slavery-free society etc.) should care what the Amarr do to their own people is rather unlikely. From the world-view of many if not most Matari slavery is worse than death, and the worst thing you can do to anyone, so would they care that Amarrians are treated worse than death by their own people?

Nearly always when I oversee a slavery/anti-slavery argument on the IGS and other areas the anti-slavery ideas and claims coming from Matari, liberal/traitor Amarr and other people smell somewhat of IRL moral stand-points more than anything else. This don't have to be accurate in any way, but the impression I get is colored thus. Why would a Matari care what their enemy does to their own kind? Most cases they don't care at all, but much like you said, in some situations the "criminals and POW's" are Matari freedom Fighters/Terrorist and Matari nationalist military forces respectively. I imagine this is something they would care quite deeply about.

In the world-view of most if not all Amarr slavery is 100% normal and a standard, integral part of life, so most people who play Amarr who somehow oppose this are required to find conceivable reasons to break with this view. Most Matari who are clearly anti-slavery need to come up with workable arguments for why they are so, and ENFORCE that. It's easy to be Anti-Amarr when you fight them. It's harder to be Anti-slavery and fully accepting and respecting the consequences that comes with that, or play a toon that realize and enforce the difference between those two.

Not entirely sure where I was going with this, but I think I've made my point. Slavery is an integral part of the Amarrian Empire's culture, so to most of them breaking with this idea requires good reasoning. Slavery is not a huge pet-peeve for the Matari, Matari being enslaved, is. The difference between being anti-Amarr and anti-slavery is important.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #4 on: 05 Apr 2012, 17:23 »

You are right.

You will NEVER convince many people of this.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 05 Apr 2012, 17:42 »

Slavery is not a huge pet-peeve for the Matari, Matari being enslaved, is. The difference between being anti-Amarr and anti-slavery is important.

I tend to agree with this, and mostly play it this way IC, but for some reason (possibly rhetorical point scoring) I've seen a few amarians claiming that Matari who only care about the Matari being enslaved are somehow being hypocritical.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 05 Apr 2012, 17:44 »

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 05 Apr 2012, 17:48 »

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Ealur_(race) - Ealurians!

That article always makes me so sad.

Yup, the prime example of slavery gone wrong. Meanwhile the Ni-Kunni are an example of the exact opposite.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 05 Apr 2012, 20:28 »

You are right.

This.  Gottii goes from a slave child background, and was a slave as a child, so has some IC reasons to dislike the institution of slavery.  But I do wish more people on the Matari side would play it as more pro-Matari as opposed to abolitionists.
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2012, 22:47 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 05 Apr 2012, 20:58 »

It is a little frustrating that the Pirate factions use of slaves is not expounded upon more.

Imagine if you will a group of Matari terrorist/freedom fighters and anti-Amarr who ally themselves with Cartel pirates to fight the eb!l slavers.  Wait what?  You allied with criminals who also have slaves to fight the Amarr?

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 05 Apr 2012, 22:10 »

Just chiming in to say that your strange IGS-based experience and expectations do not match my experience of Matari roleplay, which includes strong strands of "don't much care if Amarrians are enslaving each other, so long as they leave our people alone", and "no, the Cartel are not cool, edgy entrepreneurs: they're people-traffickers and kin-betrayers".

Those who bemoan the lack of certain viewpoints seem to be, well, mixing in the wrong circles.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 05 Apr 2012, 23:08 »

Just chiming in to say that your strange IGS-based experience and expectations do not match my experience of Matari roleplay, which includes strong strands of "don't much care if Amarrians are enslaving each other, so long as they leave our people alone", and "no, the Cartel are not cool, edgy entrepreneurs: they're people-traffickers and kin-betrayers"..

Umm, I know I'm not really a very diverse demographic compared with Matariki, but

This. Very much this.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 06 Apr 2012, 04:21 »

One point

Never said the contrary...

Also, I may be wrong, without any offense, but your post sounds half IC.

What I find interesting as I said, are all the new infos we have on things that were mostly vague and suggested before. Things like Matari claiming that Heideran's decree was bullshit and nobody actually did anything to punish rogue slavers, which is apparently quite the contrary. I do not blame them because they did this (and it also remains logical ICly), but I am glad that CCP finally added true historical precisions on this in PF so that its not anymore a case of "they did this" "oh ? prove it" "no you", or more precisely people arguing over biased speculations.

Then as you pointed out, every character still has enough liberty to interpret all these historical facts in his own biased way, be it minmatar, amarr, whatever.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 06 Apr 2012, 04:49 »

What I find interesting as I said, are all the new infos we have on things that were mostly vague and suggested before. Things like Matari claiming that Heideran's decree was bullshit and nobody actually did anything to punish rogue slavers, which is apparently quite the contrary. I do not blame them because they did this (and it also remains logical ICly), but I am glad that CCP finally added true historical precisions on this in PF so that its not anymore a case of "they did this" "oh ? prove it" "no you", or more precisely people arguing over biased speculations.

I'm a bit puzzled about your intention here: could you please clarify it?

Whatever the official line about punishments, Matari who accept certain missions against the Amarrians (and, from memory, the Caldari) know that there's slaving in the Republic because they've fought the ships doing it. It's apparently not meant to happen, but it does happen.

(I'm wracking my memory to think whether it would be possible to interpret it as "your agent was misinforming you", but, without going back over mission items and drops and such, I think it's pretty much unequivocal.)

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #14 on: 06 Apr 2012, 05:20 »

It's an interesting read.

A semi-regular debate I have with Morlag is the nature of the Khanid Kingdom among all this - not least that people mostly ignore it or lump it in with the Empire in all the anti-slave rhetoric, when the Kingdom is a far more cynical and relentless practician of slavery.

Perhaps as a result, I've always envisioned the Kingdom as appearing to be a welcoming, reasonable entity, the Caldari influence making them seem like fair businesspeople instead of a monolithic religious entity like their neighbours; until you poke a stick around and take a good look beneath the surface, and realise that it's probably combined the worst aspects of both its neighbours.  They just keep really quiet about it.
Pages: [1] 2