Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Boosters are banned because they cause a deadly, incurable brain disease?  Read more here.

Author Topic: Seyllin I  (Read 1387 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Seyllin I
« on: 10 May 2011, 17:39 »

Don't know if any of you have read the description of Seyllin I exactly from the End of the World chrons...

Devoid of any atmosphere, Seyllin I was a hellish world whose daytime surface temperature soared high enough to turn lead into molten slag. Though deep within Federation space, the world and system may as well been an unremarkable fringe territory hardly worth the fuel needed to reach it. Sixty years ago, an independent surveyor named Braggs Seyllin left an executive position with Material Acquisition to prospect on his own. Smitten with the endless optimism of a true pioneer, he vowed to build a mining empire that would rival the corporation which launched his career.

After numerous years and hardships which depleted the entirety of his fortune, Braggs Seyllin finally struck gold—literally—with TLXX-01, the Federation catalog name of the system which would later bear his name. Deep beneath the surface of that cratered wasteland was a treasure trove of natural resources, including an abundance of heavier metals coveted in virtually every manufacturing sector of the cluster.

Undaunted by the steep logistical challenge of harvesting this bounty, Seyllin raised the capital he needed from governments, corporations, and private investors to build his vision of what a mining operation should be: a frontier settlement, run by people operating equipment rather than drones doing all the work on man's behalf. If it were any other world or man, investors would have never accepted the idea. But the abundance of subterranean treasure on TLXX-01 made the effort worthwhile—and Braggs Seyllin was able to deliver not just on his promise to investors, but to the millions of prospectors eventually lured by the opportunity to work and prosper.

Leave it to Federation terraforming expertise to create a living, breathing world beneath the surface of an inhospitable planet. In the mined excavation sites where thick veins of precious ore once lay, intersecting caverns big enough to house capital ships were now illuminated in gentle cycles with artificial sunlight; water ran in streams and falls throughout a cityscape that was equal parts lush vegetation and stylish living quarters; atmosphere scrubbers worked with the ecosystem to recycle air and push a comfortable breeze throughout the miles of interconnecting city blocks and work centers.

The ambitious subterranean project did as much for the science of transforming worlds as it proved that the mining industry was core to the identity of the nation. In all, four main cities would be constructed: Loadcore, Metal City, Southern Cross, and Valimor. Braggs Seyllin died before the last of these could be completed, but his legacy was already established. At the time of his passing twenty years ago, 8 million people lived on TLXX-01. By the time the planet was rechristened Seyllin I, more than a half billion called those underground caverns home. These were thriving, pulsing cityscapes interconnected by magrail systems that spanned around the entire planet. Peak production for most of its natural resources was fast approaching, but the economic and cultural significance of Seyllin to the Gallente Federation would last long after the last chunk of ore was recovered.

Until now, this had been the expectation.

Access points for each of the main cities littered the surface of Seyllin I. The most common of these were spaceports, which allowed dropships to transfer passengers and cargo within the safety of shielded containment fields. The planet hosted several space elevators for heavy freight, but these could only be operated at night due to the extreme daytime temperatures. Just beneath these access points was a network of operational support structures, all filled with people like the researchers in the Cassandra monitoring site, elevator freight cargo masters, dropship mechanics, and thousands of others.

They basically carved out the inside of a planet to put an illusionary city in it. I wonder how the other factions might treat a subterranean colony?

Lyn Farel

Re: Seyllin I
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2011, 11:07 »

More or less the same if it was amarrian I suppose. With some kind of huge roof dome like a cathedral, containing all the city inside.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2011, 23:39 »

See asteroid mines. Guaranteed no atmosphere, all factions have some. Permanent settlements on airless planets are more of the same. Possibly similar to building a space station, except that on the planet you may get some structural stability from the ground, and possibly even extract some construction materials on-site as well.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2011, 07:50 »

Yeah, given the tech in eve, it doesn't seem too improbable to be able to crack waste matter from the mining and turn it into water and oxygen.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2011, 08:22 »

With Minmatar or Caldari (and poorer areas otherwise), they would easily have subterranean cities and colonies, but would likely ditch having flora, prettiness or an artificial sky. Waste of money and unnecessary, and the Minmatar would be like "Pff, we're tough, we don't need to pretend we're on planet because we can't cope with space!"

I think "Daughters of the Revolution" was set on a Minmatar station city.

Oo look, in-station flying thingies.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2011, 08:31 »

Agreed Seri, also The Sprawl from Deadspace 2, if you've played it:

Always struck me as very very minmatar...most of the deadspace universe does too, just sort of this decayed world, fraying at the edges, held together with willpower and tape and good intentions.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.