Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that station interiors have a day/night cycle mimicking planets? (p. 88)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Capsuleer Training  (Read 3846 times)

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
Re: Capsuleer Training
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jun 2011, 09:58 »

Reasonable or not, I think most of the educational institutes involved would drag out the process as long as possible. There's a lot of money and prestige to be earned after all.

I've never really pinned down a time frame, but 4-5 years seems about right for Lydia. Lots of basic education material combined with very long and thorough "How to make absolutely certain you don't fry your brain with your pod interface" training.

Honestly, capsuleer training seems like something CONCORD would regulate. While you probably could kick a capsuleer out in two days, it may not be a politically wise thing to do.

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2011, 13:02 »

From the Elite ( http://www.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=jul03 )

Today a certain number of ships are equipped with a capsule, which makes control of the ship much more easy and efficient for the pilot (known as a ‘capsuleer’). Not just anybody can become a capsuleer. Captains need special kind of neural riggings and the training is extremely rigorous and taxing, with only a small fraction of students actually making it through.

No concrete time mentioned. I still think I read something about it somewhere, but can't seem to find it.  :(

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jun 2011, 13:44 »

If however it comes to light that a Capsuleer does indeed only take a few weeks/months to complete; I'll accept that. However, I'm sticking to the RP that my character has attended years of collegiate studies, martial and spiritual training, and various other programs during her time with [SWA]. I won't have my character being the comparison to a two semester college drop-out, and I don't feel going to college is a 'Mary Sue' concept at all.

Katrina,  I believe it's very reasonable1 to assume that the State War Academy has a 'mundane' military officer education program, and that a capsuleer might have had the option to spend four or five or how many years it'd take to complete that program prior to enrolling in capsuleer training -- which, like Lallara, I believe is very short.  One gets maybe at most a week of training and testing before the plugs are put in, then, if they survive the process, they have the option to complete additional flight training (a.k.a. the tutorials).

1One of my characters (Sabi) went through the FNA equivalent of 'mundane' military officer education, anyway.  Another uhm, sort of went AWOL from hers not long after folks figured out she was capsule-compatible.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #18 on: 26 Jun 2011, 13:50 »

If however it comes to light that a Capsuleer does indeed only take a few weeks/months to complete; I'll accept that. However, I'm sticking to the RP that my character has attended years of collegiate studies, martial and spiritual training, and various other programs during her time with [SWA]. I won't have my character being the comparison to a two semester college drop-out, and I don't feel going to college is a 'Mary Sue' concept at all.

Katrina,  I believe it's very reasonable1 to assume that the State War Academy has a 'mundane' military officer education program, and that a capsuleer might have had the option to spend four or five or how many years it'd take to complete that program prior to enrolling in capsuleer training -- which, like Lallara, I believe is very short.  One gets maybe at most a week of training and testing before the plugs are put in, then, if they survive the process, they have the option to complete additional flight training (a.k.a. the tutorials).

1One of my characters (Sabi) went through the FNA equivalent of 'mundane' military officer education, anyway.  Another uhm, sort of went AWOL from hers not long after folks figured out she was capsule-compatible.

Heh, yeah. Although her personality doesn't quite fit the profile of a Caldari military officer (maybe because though she was trained, she hasn't been serving for years and years, like a young off duty officer in reality) that makes sense. I would assume a citizen could opt to train for entrance into the Caldari Navy instead or before working for their parent corporation.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #19 on: 26 Jun 2011, 14:00 »

Heh, yeah. Although her personality doesn't quite fit the profile of a Caldari military officer (maybe because though she was trained, she hasn't been serving for years and years, like a young off duty officer in reality) that makes sense. I would assume a citizen could opt to train for entrance into the Caldari Navy instead or before working for their parent corporation.

Or for a security subsidiary of a parent corporation.  I think PF's a little fuzzy about where employees of LDPS, Home Guard, etc., get their training (guys, help me out here if it's just my brain that's fuzzy), so I suppose some of them might ship off promising candidates to SWA instead of handling their training inhouse.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jun 2011, 14:34 »

Or for a security subsidiary of a parent corporation.  I think PF's a little fuzzy about where employees of LDPS, Home Guard, etc., get their training (guys, help me out here if it's just my brain that's fuzzy), so I suppose some of them might ship off promising candidates to SWA instead of handling their training inhouse.

Considering that each corporate paramilitary unit has wildly different operating styles and flavors (Or at least are shown to in their own media), I would assume it's at least a mixture of both. If they aren't trained in-house, then they are probably given supplementary training regarding corporate policing policies and tactics.

Their equipment is not all the same, so their training mustn't be either. From ship-to-ship combat showing differences between [Lai Dai Cerberus and Ishukone Eagle], or ground troop differences between something like the Home Guard vs. NOH Internal Security.

Also, keep in mind that they are used just as much as competitive (sometimes even hostile) forces between the Big Eight. If they all have the same training, countering each other would be almost too simple a task.

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2011, 05:19 »

From the The Jovian Wet Grave:
( http://www.eveonline.com/races/wetgrave/page_03.asp?pp=background%2Cstories )

"I have examined him, I'm afraid the symptoms all point towards it." Anu was saying.
    "This mind-lock as you call it, is it permanent?" captain Ouriye asked.
    "I'm afraid so. We have studied it thoroughly and found no cure. It's a shame, if I may say so."
    "But how do you prevent it in the first place? I mean, was this bound to happen?" the captain enquired.
    "Under the circumstances, yes. The only way to prevent this is with intense training for many years. That timeframe was unacceptable to your superiors. Besides, you knew what was going to happen all along. You have no grounds for complaints now."

So the training at least used to take many years, and even Jovians did not know of a way to make it shorter. This was likely the reference I was thinking of.

I know of no PF that would support training times having gotten shorter in recent years. Additionally, PF is clear that the capsuleer training is still "extremely rigorous and taxing". ( From "The Elite" http://www.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=jul03 )

As there is explicit PF for long training times, and no PF (that I know of) for short training times I personally find the former more likely.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2011, 12:53 »

I thought as much!

Thanks for digging that PF up. :D

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2011, 12:00 »

High risk of mindlock with little preparation.
Prevent mindlock with years of training.

Intermediate states may then exist.

It is fairly easy to learn to drive a car, or fly a fighter aircraft. The hard part is doing so in a useful fashion.
\o/

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2011, 14:44 »

From Jita 4-4....

I'll take us back a little now, before Jita 4-4 even really existed, to the dawn of the capsuleer era. Some associates of mine at the time discovered that I wasn't just good with their cloning technology, I was capsule compatible too. New arrangements were made. I was second cohort. Joining in the first rush would have drawn a little too much attention, you see, so I waited a year and joined in YC 106.

“Is this still about C3?” I'm asking, raising my hands out of antiquated instinct. The Vherokior is looking over her shoulder at me as she slides out of the dirty robes around her, revealing a head-to-toe capsuleer’s pod suit beneath, black with white linings. Must by a YC111 style.

I ask her how long she's been a capsuleer. 3 years. That's a good amount of time. Longer than I guessed.

Chron set in 112. An absolute maximum of 5-6 years training in just this example?

Sakaane Eionell

• Wetgraver
    • Solitary Pilot
« Reply #25 on: 02 Jul 2011, 23:53 »

It is fairly easy to learn to drive a car, or fly a fighter aircraft. The hard part is doing so in a useful fashion.
This. Consider as well that a spacecraft is many orders of magnitude more complicated than either a car or a fighter plane. Even with neural sockets and wetware, the mind would still have to get used to doing all that multitasking in the background, whether on a conscious/semi-conscious/unconscious level while also still regulating the biological functions of the pilot, and not getting the two confused (ie, command for "exhale" does not become "blow airlocks to vent atmosphere"). It's not enough to simply "know" how to do it; you have to repeatedly go through the motions to get into good habits.

I would also agree that any pilot who ends up in one of the military schools would be put through regular military training as a matter of course... If the pilot washes out of the program, but isn't mindlocked or otherwise incapacitated, the military would probably hang on to such a person as a new grunt, but wouldn't want to start training over again.

With the various PF references posted, I'm inclined to believe the process remains one over several years at least, even despite technological improvements since the Jovians gave the tech to the Caldari.
Pages: 1 [2]