Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That, even on non-capsuleer vessels, ship command sections are designed to be sheared off and function as an escape capsule? (The Burning Life p. 85)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Language and The Community  (Read 10044 times)

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
Re: Language and The Community
« Reply #30 on: 02 Jun 2013, 05:27 »

So, what about things like "prepare your anus"? And using "rape" in a joking sense? If you're going to go all the way, go all the way.

In fact the mod team has discussed both the 'prepare your anus' meme and the use of 'rape' in other contexts than sexual assault (ie. 'I totally raped that Falcon').

In re: the first, the ultimate decision was that anal sex is not, ipso facto, non-consensual, and (outside the limits in the rules, specifically rule six) we do not consider references to sexual activity grounds for catacombing without other factors.

With nothing but love and respect for the mod team in my heart, I must say that this line of defense is completely insane. Did someone really argue that it could and should be read as something like "PREPARE YOUR ANUS on the off chance you want to, uh, experiment a bit with the fine gentlemen over here, no pressure?"

The problem isn't that it references a sex act, the problem is that it tells you to prepare for one in the imperative mood.
I am sorry, but I think it is a bit of misconception, since it references not a sex act, but rather a perversion, because, uh, you know, you do sex with other organs biologically  :oops: And it implies violence rather than just imperative mood.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 02 Jun 2013, 05:51 »

Also, heed the Scriptures!

"When the ears hear only
The mouth shouting
And the eyes see only
The fingers broken
The world has turned
And God has gone
Left us with fond memories
Of sweet life without pain."
## The Scriptures. Apocalypse Verses 8:18.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 02 Jun 2013, 07:04 »

[..]I chose to use the circle jerk term this precise, particular time instead of echo-chamber, which is a lot less derogatory. Usually, I use the latter, but it seems usually not to make my point across. Actually, I have noticed that on the internet, everything tends to be magnified to an extreme degree and prejudice where only very strong and offensive words have a real impact. Thus, most of the rest, especially polite wordings when trying to make a point, lose their meaning quite rapidly and become bland, which is a shame.
I actually feel that offensive words are pretty bad at stimulating responses from my side, I roll my eyes mentally when I see them, usually. When I see polarized comments and offensive words, I actually sometimes consider the opinion of the person not as much as I would have if it was written in a more civilized way (I guess this is not entirely objective of me, heheh), to the point of merely glossing over the post or outright ignoring it.

Exactly, thus why I was maybe wrong - or not, who knows. I am pretty certain not to use a lot of derogatory wordings in most of my posts for that precise reason.

At times though, it just feels like battling against a wall.

So, what about things like "prepare your anus"? And using "rape" in a joking sense? If you're going to go all the way, go all the way.

In fact the mod team has discussed both the 'prepare your anus' meme and the use of 'rape' in other contexts than sexual assault (ie. 'I totally raped that Falcon').

In re: the first, the ultimate decision was that anal sex is not, ipso facto, non-consensual, and (outside the limits in the rules, specifically rule six) we do not consider references to sexual activity grounds for catacombing without other factors.

With nothing but love and respect for the mod team in my heart, I must say that this line of defense is completely insane. Did someone really argue that it could and should be read as something like "PREPARE YOUR ANUS on the off chance you want to, uh, experiment a bit with the fine gentlemen over here, no pressure?"

The problem isn't that it references a sex act, the problem is that it tells you to prepare for one in the imperative mood.

That.

It's precisely the crux of the matter brought up by Schere here - and again, I completely agree with the OP. Maybe the mod team took it as a reference to a consensual act, but I never did, and always took it as a blatantly obvious reference to anal rape, in a similar vein of how the rape word is used so commonly in Eve.

Was it the intended meaning ? Maybe not, but it was ambiguous enough that I understood it that way, and I am pretty sure that reading Lasa's comment about it, I was not the only one. And as I said, it's the crux of the matter. The words, terms, or connotations you use can carry a whole difference message for different people.

Also, even in the consensual aspect of the anal act in itself, if that is the real meaning of the pic ( :roll: ), it refers to sexually explicit things. I am not sure, but is that tolerated on this forum ? While we are at explicit depictions, I personally loathe anal penetration by personal sexual taste in any kind of way, male or female, and find that utterly disgusting, the same way that heterosexuals might find homosexuality disgusting, or homosexuals might find heterosexuality disgusting, or the same way a lot of people will find some kinds of BDSM or even hentai disgusting.

I find the image explicit enough to bring a lot of unwanted mental images every time I see it. It's tiring.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #33 on: 02 Jun 2013, 07:05 »

I am sorry, but I think it is a bit of misconception, since it references not a sex act, but rather a perversion, because, uh, you know, you do sex with other organs biologically  :oops: And it implies violence rather than just imperative mood.
Uhh...

Could you explain what you mean by this?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #34 on: 02 Jun 2013, 08:01 »

"No man has ever been raped, and no 'white' person has ever been the victim of racism."

This is nit-picking and besides the point your making, but it is terribly annoying to be effectively told the above. It happens often when this topic rears it's head.

If anyone tries pulling that shit on Backstage, you can rest assured the response from the moderator team will be an immediate "enjoy your warning/ban".
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #35 on: 02 Jun 2013, 08:47 »

"No man has ever been raped, and no 'white' person has ever been the victim of racism."

This is nit-picking and besides the point your making, but it is terribly annoying to be effectively told the above. It happens often when this topic rears it's head.

If anyone tries pulling that shit on Backstage, you can rest assured the response from the moderator team will be an immediate "enjoy your warning/ban".

But then Team Tumblr Social Justice will get all up in your grill Morlax :D
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
« Reply #36 on: 02 Jun 2013, 09:07 »

Uhh...

That it is a threat with violence and humiliation.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #37 on: 02 Jun 2013, 09:28 »

If somebody dislikes my use of the image, they should consider messaging me in private and requesting I take it down. Alternately, you can simply report it. I've replaced the image in question in Foley's thread, and would like to apologize for using it. I will not make excuses or try to rationalize its use. It's gone.

Quote from: KnowYourMeme
“Prepare Your Anus” is an expression often used to caption image macros featuring photographs of intimidating-looking characters. The image macros are meant to illicit a disturbing or creepy reaction, similar to the “You Gonna Get Raped” series.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/prepare-your-anus

I will point out the original meme is indeed a rape meme, not a consensual act meme. Yes, I am admitting to using a rape joke. If the moderation team feel that must revise their previous decisions about my use of the image and determine it is something worthy of being catacombed, I will understand. I'm not sure where the remaining images in question are located though, so if anybody finds them they could report them or let me know so I can remove them.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2013, 09:37 by Katrina Oniseki »

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #38 on: 02 Jun 2013, 10:09 »

it references not a sex act, but rather a perversion, because, uh, you know, you do sex with other organs biologically  :oops: And it implies violence rather than just imperative mood.
Uhh...

I really meant the Bolded bits. Not sure if I'm reading into this wrong, but are you suggesting that buttsex is perverse and not real sex?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 02 Jun 2013, 10:15 »

it references not a sex act, but rather a perversion, because, uh, you know, you do sex with other organs biologically  :oops: And it implies violence rather than just imperative mood.
Uhh...

I really meant the Bolded bits. Not sure if I'm reading into this wrong, but are you suggesting that buttsex is perverse and not real sex?

Yes, but I think she means two things:

1.) That anal sex is a perversion using incorrect organs. This is a fairly common opinion, and one that while I strongly disagree with is something she is entitled to as an opinion. That's your bolded bits there.

2.) That the image implied an impending violent act, not an imperative mood.

Keep in mind that her opinion that anal sex is a perversion may color the perception that "prepare your anus" suggests an impending violent act, possibly because anal sex cannot be considered as anything other than that.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2013, 10:18 by Katrina Oniseki »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #40 on: 02 Jun 2013, 10:16 »

For some people, 'sex' doesn't even involve intercourse in any fashion.

I don't think Lithium is suggesting it is perverse in a flat-out context, but that if one looks at it from a biological standpoint, yes, in fact, it is a perversion of natural animal urges/functions - in the sense that you aren't really meant to go in through the "out" door, and that using it that way doesn't satisfy the so-called "biological imperative" of reproduction.

(What Kat said.)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #41 on: 02 Jun 2013, 10:29 »

Then most of the animal reign is completely perverted.

( btw the use of the word "perverted" is yet again another illustration of what the OP is complaining about )

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
« Reply #42 on: 02 Jun 2013, 10:30 »

I think we should really drop this deviation of discussion, since I don't think you would really want to hear my opinion about this, neither I want to talk about it here.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 02 Jun 2013, 10:33 »

I think we should really drop this deviation of discussion, since I don't think you would really want to hear my opinion about this, neither I want to talk about it here.

Excellent idea. I still  :cube: you though!

Shiori

« Reply #44 on: 02 Jun 2013, 10:34 »

I care very little about the exact classification of anal sex, and not very much more about what is or isn't acceptable speech. What got me going is that of the mentioned examples, the one phrase which might actually get you arrested or get you a face-full of Mace if you say it to a random person in the street apparently passed as "harmless" on a "technicality."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7