Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked frigates are hooked in with massive electromagnetic anchors? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Character ban  (Read 8829 times)

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
Re: Character ban
« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2013, 05:36 »

If they don't get back to you soon enough, you can certainly try to file a new petition with the word "stuck" on the subject. I learned that CCP profiles the word "stuck" in their petition system and any petition with "stuck" in it gets flagged for priority attention.

Or at least that is what I was told. No harm trying, though.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 10 May 2013, 05:53 »

Thanks. I'm trying to be patient and not overwhelm their system. I've read the ban policy and I haven't done any of the things they have listed so I'm still in the dark.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 10 May 2013, 05:53 »

They might charge you for exploiting the system if you do so (using "stuck"). I would not advise it myself personally, it would give them free ammo to be even more reluctant to your case.

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #33 on: 10 May 2013, 05:55 »

Oh true. When I returned from my 2-year afk, I used "Help, I'm stuck I can't log into my account" on the topic of my petition when my account was banned because someone tried to hack it and had the password wrong for too many times.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #34 on: 10 May 2013, 06:20 »

That's why I'm waiting and I've been very apologetic in my petitions about screwing up and filing in the wrong category the first time  :bash:

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #35 on: 10 May 2013, 14:59 »

So, I got a response stating that I used an autopilot hack  :?: :?: :?:

I don't even know what this is! I've said as much and asked how I can get Lasa back. If not, I'm going to remake Lasa as "Lasairiona Raske," but I'm not giving up without a fight.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 10 May 2013, 15:17 »

The autopilot hack (AKA 'warp to zero hack') is a client modification that allows you to reconfigure your autopilot to automatically warp to zero of the next gate rather than the normal ~10km, removing the primary disadvantage of using the autopilot.

I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 10 May 2013, 15:21 »

Yup big no no.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #38 on: 10 May 2013, 15:51 »

Yes, I did some research on it. I'm hoping to fight it. I already asked if there is a way to get lasa back. I'm really computer illiterate lol. Like I told someone, I don't even know what all the mods for ships do half the time.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #39 on: 10 May 2013, 15:54 »

Jeeze, that sucks.  I hope you get your chatacter back.

And seriously?  That's a hack, and a bannable hack?  I might understand if its just about modifing the clinet, but warp to zero, really?  Can't you still do the same thing by turning on the autopilot after you're in warp?

Then again, I find a lot of exploits I hear about make me feel like that.  Probably a sign I should never run an MMO. 

Lyn Farel

« Reply #40 on: 10 May 2013, 16:17 »

Hilarious. You mean that the autopilot setting is only client side ? That's not a command that is actually server side ?  :psyccp:

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 10 May 2013, 16:32 »

Yeah, the inherently fuzzy nature of clientside mods like this is problematic (as someone once put it, the boundary seems to exist somewhere between modifying your client to do it for you (bannable), and assigning an MWD to the F1 key and then jamming it down with a coin (probably not bannable)).

In this case, though, I'd suspect they are mistakenly assuming Lasa is the alt of someone who did do it. =/
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #42 on: 10 May 2013, 17:32 »

They have an automated system that checks client calls for known hacks. I got the impression that the WTZ AP hack was quite easy to spot once they noticed it.

Basically, as they are looking for signatures of hacks that require client modification to work, false positives seem highly unlikely.

Lasa, are you the only one playing on your EVE install?

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #43 on: 10 May 2013, 20:38 »

Yes, I am the only one that plays on my client. There are several things that don't sit right with me which I plan to bring up in my contesting of this ban.

1) When did this happen and is the is the only incident of using such a hack after the ban was made on it?

2) If this is the only time, why wouldn't I have used it on my other account as well?

3) After six years of game play and having read the EULA, why would I risk my account in such a way? I have never had any issues before and abide by all rules. There is no reason for me to want to "cheat" in such a way.

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #44 on: 11 May 2013, 00:33 »

Seeing as this is related I post it.
From what I read this mod was so widespread that CCP decided to give everyone detected a one time pass and only ban if they used it after that warning.
Here's a small discussion on Failheap.
The odd thing is the outright permaban in my opinion. Or is it a 30 day or whatever the "usual" first offense banning is?
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8