Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Boosters are banned because they cause a deadly, incurable brain disease?  Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Caldari/Minmatar RP alliance idea  (Read 9582 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Caldari/Minmatar RP alliance idea
« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2013, 15:16 »

Given the Republic/Federation tension these days, it could be a good move. I know currently my character has a higher opinion of some Caldari than his allies.

Yeah, nothing like being told you won't get your way after rattling the sabers to make your consider jumping in bed with an enemy and spitting in the face of an old friend, eh?  :yar:

I think that's a bit harsh. Maybe Tabor the character has a higher opinion of some Caldari because, you know, some Caldari are actually worth it?

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #16 on: 01 May 2013, 15:29 »

This needs to happen :D

I've created a channel some time ago, because I liked the name : Heiian and the Art of Spaceship Maintenance. I think it fits the purpose, so the thing is now open. Here's the MOTD :

Heiian and the Art of Spaceship Maintenance is a strange novel, heavily autobiographical. The author/narrator relates his journeys and day-to-day work on board of a Fenrir, adding considerations about Heiian its relation to matari engineering philosophy. And, at least for the time of the reading, it makes sense.

The purpose of this channel is simple : a place for Caldari and Minmatar capsuleers to exhange, talk, create & strengthen ties, etc.
The rule of this channel is simpler : don't be a dick.

((This channel is in-character, and a virtual venue. Act accordingly))
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #17 on: 01 May 2013, 15:33 »

It says something about the way EVE has structured its inter-factional conflict that the idea of good Minmatar/Caldari relations pops up frequently but an Amarr/Gallente alliance is something you won't get any support for.

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Tabor Murn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #18 on: 01 May 2013, 15:41 »

Given the Republic/Federation tension these days, it could be a good move. I know currently my character has a higher opinion of some Caldari than his allies.

Yeah, nothing like being told you won't get your way after rattling the sabers to make your consider jumping in bed with an enemy and spitting in the face of an old friend, eh?  :yar:

I'll save that discussion for IC where it belongs.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #19 on: 01 May 2013, 15:48 »

I think that's a bit harsh. Maybe Tabor the character has a higher opinion of some Caldari because, you know, some Caldari are actually worth it?

Maybe so, but the implication is leaving a nasty feel to me. Still, it's up to you folks what you do and I'd like to see this happen OOC, at least.

It says something about the way EVE has structured its inter-factional conflict that the idea of good Minmatar/Caldari relations pops up frequently but an Amarr/Gallente alliance is something you won't get any support for.

The two factions are anathema to each other. It would never happen, so thus it never get's any major support. If CCP change the political landscape around a Caldari/Minmatar alliance with the Empire and Federation alone on either side is the most likely change, that or dissolve the alliances and leave it at that.

I know a great deal of Caldari RP'ers have wanted such an alliance for a long time and plenty of Minmatar players seem keen on it as well. I-RED's been a major pusher of this kind of relationship for a while, IIRC.

I'll save that discussion for IC where it belongs.

Indeed. If it pops up IC I might get involved.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #20 on: 01 May 2013, 15:50 »

Why not ? Be it Caldari/Minmatar or Gallente/Amarr, they both share a lot of similarities as well as opposites.

But yeah, considering the probable player answer, that seems unlikely, which is a shame. I think that the main issue comes from TEA, that erased completely Heideran/Aidonis legacy.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2013, 15:54 »

Considerably less support, but there are some feelers here and there. Not nearly enough to base an alliance on, though. In any case it's something I'd quite like to see more of.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2013, 16:52 »

I-RED's been a major pusher of this kind of relationship for a while, IIRC.

We've since stopped that.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 01 May 2013, 17:31 »

As much as I love the Minnies both IC and OOC the situation in the warzone where we got flooded by Minmatart farmers makes it hard to do anything on any scale larger than personal.

Maybe if things change a bit...

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #24 on: 01 May 2013, 17:54 »

If the Amarrians ditched the entire concept of slavery, you could see an Amarr/Gallente relationship being built around culture and technology.

I'm not sure what the sticking point against it would be for the Amarrians, I'd considered lack of faith but it doesn't seem to stop them allying with the Caldari.

Also for the record, an Amarr/Gallente alliance would be horrifically scary in terms of Empire Navy strength, which is why fiction wise it'll never happen.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 01 May 2013, 18:23 »

If the Amarrians ditched the entire concept of slavery, you could see an Amarr/Gallente relationship being built around culture and technology.

I'm not sure what the sticking point against it would be for the Amarrians, I'd considered lack of faith but it doesn't seem to stop them allying with the Caldari.

Also for the record, an Amarr/Gallente alliance would be horrifically scary in terms of Empire Navy strength, which is why fiction wise it'll never happen.

This. The minmatar and Caldari are both the 'little guys' and it makes sense for them to work together. The Gallente and Amarr are both the 'Big guys' and as a result, there isn't a lot of reason for them to reach out to allies. They are allied with the minnies and caldari respectively as a way to prop up the thorn in the other's side.

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #26 on: 01 May 2013, 18:28 »

So who can make alliances? I'm happy to foot the bill for it if we can agree on a name.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 01 May 2013, 19:06 »

Leaving all game balance issues aside (which would, by the way, still be fairly balanced when measured in number of capsuleers, which I would say is the real game balance concern), I believe the best approach to take in regard to Amarr/Gallente cooperation would be an economic one. Economy generally seems to affect international politics to an equal if not greater degree than ideology does (the real world is not short of examples of this), and if the current blocs disintegrate, it seems to me that there would be plenty of economic reasons for Gallente and Amarr to grow closer. They are both huge empires with huge populations and strong economies (however inefficiently it may be run in parts of the Amarrian Emppire) and consequently, huge potential markets. They are also both politically outward-looking, as opposed to the more insular Caldari and at least partly also Matari. In addition, while the Caldari and Minmatar societies have been suffering from a lot of political turmoil and instability in recent years, both the Federation and Empire seem to be quite internally stable, making them inherently more attractive to foreign investors, or so at least I imagine.

I'm not an economist, but that's how it looks like to me at least.

By the way, maybe we should have a thread split for the Amarrian-Gallente side of the discussion here?
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Katarina Musana

• Clonejack
« Reply #28 on: 01 May 2013, 19:14 »

Why not ? Be it Caldari/Minmatar or Gallente/Amarr, they both share a lot of similarities as well as opposites.

The Gallente and Amarr are fairly diametrically opposed, having majorly opposing governmental types and social ideologies. If the Minmatar and Caldari did fully unite against the two, that might be enough to push the Federation and Empire to unite temporarily for a common goal, but that's about it, really.

The Caldari and Minmatar, however, are actually extremely similar in a lot of ways, and part of what I've been seeing IC (also as one of the proponents of such an alliance as Kat has argued this IC on several occasions already) is that the Caldari have an easier time understanding the Minmatar culture because of how similar Megacorps are to the Minmatar concept of Tribes, something that has been a major sticking point in Minmatar/Gallente relations as the Federation has a hard time understanding Minmatar culture and why X, Y, and Z action pisses them off so much.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 01 May 2013, 23:28 »

5) exploiting the lowsec space between the State and the Republic for profit.

It took me a few minutes to figure out where this is.

Constellations: Ihatalo, Mivora and Aldodan (Forge and Metropolis) - mostly low-sec, connections to two null-sec regions, 1 research station, plenty of other stations.

The idea at this point is to aim high, but not forget the small steps. If we're going to make a genuine in-game alliance out of this, we need member corps, and preferably plenty of people.

We also need a viable plan for making money, a patch of ground to lay claim to, some capital to get the ball rolling and so on. Let's get this thing planned out properly before we start drawing up a logo and everything.

I'm enthusiastic and optimistic to see where we can take this, but we have to be realistic: we need to drum up enough members, ships and ISK first. We need solid "if this goes ahead, I'm in" not "hey, this could be cool" please.

1 - I am not in, this summer I will hopefully be able to play more and will be trying to build a bottom up economy.

2 - This is critical to building a successful alliance.  A lot of the people who might support this should already have a good sense of the game and be able to build a successful alliance.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8