Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Titan Doomsday Devices were originally massive, field clearing nukes instead of doomsday rays?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: The Caldari Empire: will CCP dare?  (Read 12759 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: The Caldari Empire: will CCP dare?
« Reply #105 on: 09 May 2013, 07:25 »

Actually I kind of hope Heth succeeds. I've never really seen the appeal of the Mega-Corporate State. Maybe my background in Shadowrun made me biased but I always had thoughts that an ultra capitalist socity would end up with the people on the bottom rung of the ladder being basically indentured servants.

There are (or were) plenty of entries in the lore that stated it was basically impossible for anyone to move from their mega-corp, they depended on the corp for just about everything, their wages in corporate script (basically useless elsewhere) then most of that was sucked back by the corps for services rendered.

I guess I've always seen the state as practicing slavery without the name, and someone needed to kick over those ivory towers the members of the board sat in.

Up until The Broker made his appearance I LIKED what Heth was doing in TEA, I thought it a good and necessary thing.

Burn down the mega's lets have a new Raata Empire.

* Altarica hides

The Caldari State certainly did practice wage slavery, and probably still does in places. Without Heth, it's likely it'll return to that as a more or less global pattern sooner or later, and we can see the whole populist revolt thing play out in a different hat ... in, say, a few decades. Possibly a couple hundred years. The Caldari have a high pain threshold (and I like to think that their corporate leadership is selfish, not stupid).

My problem with Heth is very simply the fascism. An unchecked fascist dictatorship is simply not interesting, and one that is attempting to restore the semi-mythic glory of an ancient lost empire is simply par for the fascist course. Space Nazis fit in well with the "Killzone" universe, but I have no use for them in Eve Online. They're too simple.

A quasi-feudal corporate state with suppressed fascist tendencies, now, THAT'S interesting. Whether it's a nice place to live (and it looks like it's a lot more meritocratic than it was pre-Heth, even if his reforms remain a promise only partially fulfilled) is relevant mostly for rhetorical purposes.

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #106 on: 09 May 2013, 08:02 »

Actually I kind of hope Heth succeeds. I've never really seen the appeal of the Mega-Corporate State. Maybe my background in Shadowrun made me biased but I always had thoughts that an ultra capitalist socity would end up with the people on the bottom rung of the ladder being basically indentured servants.

There are (or were) plenty of entries in the lore that stated it was basically impossible for anyone to move from their mega-corp, they depended on the corp for just about everything, their wages in corporate script (basically useless elsewhere) then most of that was sucked back by the corps for services rendered.

I guess I've always seen the state as practicing slavery without the name, and someone needed to kick over those ivory towers the members of the board sat in.

Up until The Broker made his appearance I LIKED what Heth was doing in TEA, I thought it a good and necessary thing.

Burn down the mega's lets have a new Raata Empire.

* Altarica hides

Lyn Farel

« Reply #107 on: 09 May 2013, 08:34 »

Maybe my background in Shadowrun made me biased but I always had thoughts that an ultra capitalist socity would end up with the people on the bottom rung of the ladder being basically indentured servants.

Hasn't it always been the case ?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]