Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Dam-Torsad is the Amarr Imperial City and capital? Read the chron!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: The Caldari Empire: will CCP dare?  (Read 12760 times)

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
The Caldari Empire: will CCP dare?
« on: 21 Apr 2013, 13:06 »

The situation in the State for me somehow very resembles Ancient Rome, with Tibus Heth playing a role of supreme commander, who is about to become Emperor.

He already gives people what they want: bread and show. The bread is these reforms, that made regular workers to become richer. The show, is the war against gallente, that is going on, without touching major Caldari inhabited worlds.

Just like roman Emperor, before actually becoming one, Tibus Heth made a decisive and heroic victory (capture of Caldari Prime), that gave him support from both military and civilians.

The only thing he needs now to capture the power in the State, is to grab the Navy and cross the Rubicon. Peoples with marines will bring him on hands to CEP meeting hall. He will take their freedom, and they will give him their lives.

Will there be a civil war then? I think yes, most probably in a scenario of civil war after Russian revolution. Same as bolsheviks, provists will have support of commoners and the army. "White resistance" will be composed of traditionalists (who would most probably just immigrate out of the State) and several corporate police forces, who would unite under some sort of "new CEP" to give fight to provists (or "new Empire"). (Simply because corporate police forces would be disbanded to form unified police force).

According to "grimdark prediction" and history lesson from 1918, this "new CEP" would eventually lose.

And what do you think? Can it happen?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: The Caldari Empire: will CCP dare?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2013, 13:28 »

It depends entirely on their plans for Factional Warfare and how static they need to keep State space from a game mechanics perspective.

Publius Valerius

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2013, 13:44 »

The situation in the State for me somehow very resembles Ancient Rome, with Tibus Heth playing a role of supreme commander, who is about to become Emperor.

He already gives people what they want: bread and show. The bread is these reforms, that made regular workers to become richer. The show, is the war against gallente, that is going on, without touching major Caldari inhabited worlds.

Just like roman Emperor, before actually becoming one, Tibus Heth made a decisive and heroic victory (capture of Caldari Prime), that gave him support from both military and civilians.

The only thing he needs now to capture the power in the State, is to grab the Navy and cross the Rubicon. Peoples with marines will bring him on hands to CEP meeting hall. He will take their freedom, and they will give him their lives.

Will there be a civil war then? I think yes, most probably in a scenario of civil war after Russian revolution. Same as bolsheviks, provists will have support of commoners and the army. "White resistance" will be composed of traditionalists (who would most probably just immigrate out of the State) and several corporate police forces, who would unite under some sort of "new CEP" to give fight to provists (or "new Empire"). (Simply because corporate police forces would be disbanded to form unified police force).

According to "grimdark prediction" and history lesson from 1918, this "new CEP" would eventually lose.

And what do you think? Can it happen?

I know what the people of Sulla thought? So between love and being seen as a "King" (aka L. Tarquin) is a thin red line.

As for the state and change in general.... I think this news shows something will happend: http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/tibus-heth-proclaims-vision-for-single-solidified-state/

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2013, 14:15 »

It would be awesome if they went there.

Though I wish we could get a few more reasons to be loyal to Heth. Ceaser was quite popular, if I recall correctly.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2013, 14:32 »

As for the state and change in general.... I think this news shows something will happend: http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/tibus-heth-proclaims-vision-for-single-solidified-state/
That's exactly what made me have such ideas  :P

Uraniae

• Wetgraver
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2013, 14:45 »

Well, if the State goes down the Roman path to crowning an emperor it sort of brings up a new question.

Who gets to be Hannibal?  When will the barbarians sack Rome?

Publius Valerius

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2013, 15:37 »

Though I wish we could get a few more reasons to be loyal to Heth. Ceaser was quite popular, if I recall correctly.

That's exactly what made me have such ideas  :P

Oh.. thats the thing what I meant with Sulla. Yes, we know Caesar, but he is one success story; But history which shows more fails. It isnt without reason, that people use the word Sulla (or the title: King) as a offence. So for Caesar and moreover Octavian; there are more people on the other side, which had FAILED. *Publius enters long boring list*

I also think, that it would bring a "Cincinnatus problem"; what I mean with it... The caldari had in the past heroes (Yakiya Tovil-Toba, etc...) which had a lack of personal ambition (in a political sense) and showed a great deal of modesty. They had more or less done things for the "greater good" (like Cincinnatus), see http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Caldari_%28NPCs%29

So Heth would face more or less the same problems....
- "Kings"/"Central Leaders" or unpopular.
- Grab of power would be seen as un-caldari..... The same problem, which TonG had, and he could overcome it with: "The people (and the broker) had give him the power.... he was more or less flush upwards." So.. If they dont want repeat the old errors; they - CCP - have to think about a new way.
- Success. It explains by itself. He must have success by his doing (and please dont come again, with a "walking plot conveniences". *Yes I look at you Jamyl*). This point is the hardest to pull off; as can be seen in Toy G books; all characters, all of them, ALL, are plot conveniences which just choose paths which bring the plot forward (but are un-logical, or even self destructive. A new example would be Khanid II). And the sad thing is; even ETERNES long wiki page of Jamyl doesnt fix this error. So I hope they dont get this path; and add a new "arrg story line" (and yes I look at you TonyG books, and Eternes Khanid Kingdom changes).

Secondly (more in the direction of CCP). It will not help the Fiction team in his task. Meaning: By pulling a new government out their ass, will not free them of describing the current government. So If you cant put the current Caldari government together, then dont make a new one (better get help from the outside or ask someone for help).

So to come down again; and dont de-rail this thread: How can Heth have "Success"? What could be the obstacles?

« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2013, 15:42 by Publius Valerius »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2013, 15:40 »

Well, if the State goes down the Roman path to crowning an emperor it sort of brings up a new question.

Who gets to be Hannibal?  When will the barbarians sack Rome?

Timeline in the wrong direction.  Hannibal and the Punic Wars were prior to Sulla and Caesar.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2013, 16:23 »

Hopefully this is more along the lines of a culmination of Heth's grab for power/descent into paranoia and it leads to the Megas striking back in a serious way now that he is openly threatening their existence.

Vikarion

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2013, 16:24 »

Awesome for Gallente RPers, perhaps. I think all but 2 or 3 Caldari RPers would quit.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2013, 16:29 »

Awesome for Gallente RPers, perhaps. I think all but 2 or 3 Caldari RPers would quit.

I think it would probably lead to a lot of us quitting political RP, at least. Given it would finish the job of making the faction homogeneous (and that was one of the interesting things about it, not being homogeneous). Plus, even with populist support, it wouldn't seem like a credible change to the structure of the State based on the information we have. At least to me.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2013, 17:42 »

it wouldn't seem like a credible change to the structure of the State based on the information we have.

More than a few us have been playing the angle of corporate confederation for a long time.  Maybe we got it all wrong.  We chose to play characters born of out of cyberpunk Zaibatsu dominated society, when CCP's intent all along was:

The Caldari are some sort of regimented warlike group. “Like Third Reich Germans mixed with Japanese industrialists and straightforward Finnish machinists,” Harðarson attempts to clarify, without success.

Essentially, the current story arc says to those wanting to play as supporters of a particular corporate power that they should actually choose the Federation, a government so dominated by corporate interest that their President is also the CEO/founder of one of its prime defense contractors.

April Knox

• Agent Provocateur
  • Clonejack
    • COLD-Wing Boards
« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2013, 18:02 »

Hopefully this is more along the lines of a culmination of Heth's grab for power/descent into paranoia and it leads to the Megas striking back in a serious way now that he is openly threatening their existence.

This. I agree with Silver. I'm getting the impression that CCP is planning to get rid of Heth for some reason, yet I cannot figure out what they have in store for us.

I only dream to a return to the previous corporate cold war state of affairs, the state being a melange of different interests and worldviews (Practicals, Patriots and Liberals). Still, whatever they do, I don't think they can do any worse than they did with Heth, so there is still hope!  :)

« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2013, 18:07 by April Knox »

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2013, 18:35 »

A Caldari civil war would make Caldari people quit? Such timidity.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Vikarion

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2013, 18:45 »

A Caldari civil war would make Caldari people quit? Such timidity.

I've been hearing for years that we Caldari should be grateful for all the internal conflict, bad press, and terrible leaders we have, as it allows room for more nuance and drama.

In that case, I would like to be generous and offer our more-than-abundant share to the other three factions. It hardly seems fair that we get to have all of this wonderful stuff. Let's see Roden overturning elections and bombarding planets, and Shakor setting up death camps for captured Amarrians, and then we can talk about whether the Caldari State needs more internal conflict and portrayal as the Eve version of North Korea.

In other words, your response is pretty much the same one I've had directed at me with every protest I've put up against CCP further mangling Caldari lore. Yeah, I'll quit RPing if the State gets turned into "the empire".
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2013, 18:47 by Vikarion »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8