Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That crews from destroyed capsuleer ships make up a substantial part of Blood Raider harvests? (The Burning Life, p. 59)

Author Topic: To the mods and Laerise  (Read 582 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
To the mods and Laerise
« on: 11 Jun 2011, 22:06 »

Making a damn new tread because for some reason I can post but not in the proper tread (in the Oog/off-topic forum)  however the tread is not locked... weird. Mods plz read the bottom.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laerise, I believe you are being mistaken – and by that, I mean that you are either jumping to conclusions regarding my words and phrases and/or simply being wrong about what I mean.

I am partially to blame for this (50% in fact) for making the post(s) you responded to in the first place. I'm also somewhat surprised the mods have not dragged our posts off to the catacombs yet,(Oooops, look what happened while I was typing :D) but I'm happy to note this because that means we are still keeping within the bounds of the forum rules.(I guess not – seemed a bit to unlikely.)

As civilized humans, let us keep it this way.(Lost cause now, but I'll still keep it civil because I don't need to sink into stupidity to answer your concern.)

So, I'll deal with this in descending order, to much quote-festing otherwise...

I prefer to be called by my 'name' where I go. Forums, anywhere in RL, don't matter. Now, BB, Blood, Bloodie or whatever could be as innocent as a nickname, (I don't mind nicknames if they are not insulting) but separating the two words of my 'alias' or whatever this forum/toon name is is usually something people do in spite. I took it like that and treated you accordingly – not much of a down-grade but as I saw it it was better to correct you, however aggressively, than fucking up your name in some way to get 'even' or whatever.

Your right. If I'm mugged, either in RL or by having an account stolen in EVE I call the proper authorities. Now, problem – CCP has made it clear that sharing one's account info will not get you banned outright (because way, way to many people do so) but they won't lift a finger to help you if you lose your account while sharing a password/user-name. Me and a RL friend did just this since day 1 and originally we did not know, our asses burning for not reading the TOS and EULA properly, or at all. Now, the 4 other cases were stopped because said RL friend informed me that my toon(s) logged on while I was supposedly asleep and managed to logg into EVE-O (using the password(s) I gave him) and alter my passwords from a clean PC thus saving my toons before the pass was changed by the offenders. The 5th time was not that lucky and I reluctantly 'condoned' the activity out of need – 5 bill to buy back my own toon is better than losing 4.5 years worth of progress, as furious as I was.

Luckily for me things are different these days and my PC's security is for once in perfect shape, and in two years I've not had a similar issue and no need to let my friend know my passwords for no reason. Lucky me.

Your assuming that, by my language on this topic indicate that I'd love to have these hackers/black-hat programmers/net-surfing Robin hoods/whatever DEAD. Not the case.

Cold-blooded, intended murder? Rape/Pedophilia, serial or no? Human-trafficking/slavery/sexual slavery? Industry-level drug creation/smuggling/peddling? If you are found, tried, and sentenced as guilty without doubt; Death, death, death and death – by bullet. Any and all low-level or mid-level crimes? Prison or whatever other penalty imposed by legal law – I am not a fan of over-the-top draconian punishment for anything from high-grade to absurdly low-end crimes.

I said I hope they 'rot well and long' and I should have been specific, dumb of me. You can 'rot well and long' in jail or in a grave, my jargon meant jail as in 'serving a long time in jail'.

You don't need to forgive me my opinion, simply because this opinion reflects a desire for proper punishment for crimes and a utter disgust for people who use anonymity as a shield to steal from you or invade your privacy from the relative comfort of their own homes. Like I said, while things like bank-robbing at gun-point or by a nightly stealth raid or whatever are bad, at the very least these people show up to do the 'job' in person and risk themselves directly. There is nothing respectable about this kind of action but compared to sofa-rubbing black-hatters one wonders who has the straighter spine.

Again, 'I will be happy they are gone' means 'gone from society and/or their ability to do this shit again' AKA jail-time. Gone in jail, Laerise, not gone as in dead.

Life in jail, Laerise, is the worst kind of penalty available. In My Honest Opinion, and it's nothing but;

The jail system in the US is slightly to divided in this regard as some are executed for brutal/horrible crimes while others are suffering in jail for the same reasons. I've been thinking about this at times and frankly I'll be brief because we don't need/want a de-rail; As mentioned above, the most horrid of crimes can get you either death or the rest of your life in jail – I believe a life in jail is the most severe punishment because 'eternal' confinement is worst than a 'mere' end of a life that is a danger to society. However, life in jail takes up a lot of resources and offers the jailed person the option of escaping at some point to repeat crime he/she was bared away for the rest of their lives for. Better then, if you must have life-time confinement or death to simply have universal death for all. For the record the so-called 'capital punishment' in my country (Norway) is a pitiful 21 years, likely as low as 15 if you behave well. Yes, behave well and we will let you back out in a decade and a half, mr. serial-rapist. Weak.

I don't want 'crude medieval justice Laerise, that's only your conjecture. I want' “Justice” as silly as that may sound, as in 'just retribution' for crimes. I want to know that stealing from someone is something you get punished for even if you do the deed in a grocery store or over the internet VS account info and other sensitive stuff. I want to know that if you harass someone, either constantly in RL by whatever means you wish to employ or over the internet in whatever form you wish, then you get just punishment for it. Hackers like this rarely if ever do. That is not just. If these 3 people are found guilty and sentenced then a slight bit of justice has been delivered. Happy-happy joy joy, now let's hope others are found as well.

If I feel my home-country's laws don't do enough I will hold to my opinion of what needs be done (I've done this) and deal with it however I can. (I do this)

What I will not do, is move from perhaps the finest country on the planet in quite a large number of respects, to move to some other place because I disagree with the leadership of this nation in what is a few points, out of the multitude of things I do agree on and support. I've better things to do.

Also, finally, kindly do not insult me again by claiming I'd enjoy idiotically over-the-top draconian laws and punishment because a few facets of my nation's society annoy me, or that I'd enjoy such treatment of people in any way. I am not a barbarian (neither are your examples, btw) and frankly not an idiot regarding computer-related security vs malware and other crap, either.

In the end, I think most if not all of your 'issue' with me right now stems from a misunderstanding that I've helped create. I'm sure if I were more specific about this my viewpoints would be better off and better understood the first time I made them. However, I really don't like hackers for reasons mentioned and when some of them get their due punishment (assuming ofc that they ARE guilty) I'm personally treating it as good news. Much like I'd treat it as good news hearing a smuggling-ring of narcotics being busted and the perpetrators jailed for it.

Now, mods please put this into the catacombs in the proper tread to answer Laerise, please. I'll report this myself.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: To the mods and Laerise
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2011, 01:45 »

[mod]Don't circumvent moderation.[/mod]