Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Blood Raiders are a sect of the Sani Sabik who spend their lives in space hunting down and harvesting non-believers for their blood? Read more here!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Come to think of it, why _is_ the IGS so weird?  (Read 14204 times)

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
Re: Come to think of it, why _is_ the IGS so weird?
« Reply #105 on: 01 Jan 2015, 10:57 »

I think specific use of IG language words help accentuate certain things. For example, when Jenn uses "kirjuun" instead of "friend," it denotes a deeper relation with consequences to her.

Beyond that, I think I agree that I find it disruptive when something is fully in a foreign language. It forces me to either ignore it completely or go through an entire Google Translate exercise.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #106 on: 01 Jan 2015, 11:30 »

The only problem with that explanation, Tamiroth, is that the Russian groups in the in game EVE universe are made up from a completely random mix of people from the different racial backgrounds and there hasn't really been time for a realistic standardization of those diverse groups into a new culture.

You could perhaps simply that the languages represent group specific battle language that are in IC terms taught after the pilot joins the group, though I don't really know why that would exist with universal translators. Or you could go with a tech explanation for different RL languages being actively used in game. Something like them being the product of different encoding packages would work.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #107 on: 01 Jan 2015, 11:59 »

The only problem with that explanation, Tamiroth, is that the Russian groups in the in game EVE universe are made up from a completely random mix of people from the different racial backgrounds and there hasn't really been time for a realistic standardization of those diverse groups into a new culture.

You could perhaps simply that the languages represent group specific battle language that are in IC terms taught after the pilot joins the group, though I don't really know why that would exist with universal translators. Or you could go with a tech explanation for different RL languages being actively used in game. Something like them being the product of different encoding packages would work.

We can draw some ideas from the Mandalorians from Star Wars.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian

The original Mandalorians were an alien race, but they draw in other races into their culture. Over time, they died out, but the other races that had lived and breathed their culture continued to persist, and these became the modern Mandalorians.

Of course, if we use this parallel, it implies that there was an original Russian culture. So how do we work that out to fit the setting?
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2015, 12:02 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #108 on: 01 Jan 2015, 12:27 »

"The Russians" are just like "the CFC"  when it comes to large amorphous groups on nullsec pilots to me.

I mean, try to rationalize in supersrs mode a conglomerate of pilots, over 35,000 Empyreans, flying under the supersrs banner of "The Clusterfuck Coalition" ...

.. the future need not be our version of serious, or superspecial beyond imagining.

It's 2015, and we're not wearing back to the future collanders on our heads, are we? ;)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #109 on: 01 Jan 2015, 12:28 »

It's 2015, and we're not wearing back to the future collanders on our heads, are we? ;)

A casual glance at Twitter or any number of other social media would suggest otherwise. :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #110 on: 01 Jan 2015, 13:01 »

Thats just a photo, I certainly havent seen the stuff for sale at Target/Primark! ;)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #111 on: 01 Jan 2015, 13:22 »

Everything needs an IC explanation, including the russians, but they don't have to be *Actual* Russians. Its generally assumed that language in EVE is not actual modern language, anyways. :P
Russians = Deteis diaspora from a number of backwater planets in the State that adopted one of their archaic dialects as means of communication, exactly because it confuses the translator. They stick together mafia style, like many other diasporas. Russian in local = ancient Deteis (Arabic = ancient Ni-Kunni, chinese = ancient Jin-Mei, etc.) Here, IC problem is no more.  At least, that's how I deal with it.
Russian alphabet = moon runes.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Tamiroth

• Wetgraver
« Reply #112 on: 01 Jan 2015, 13:58 »

Quote from: Havohej
Russian alphabet = moon runes.

on topic: see my answer to Lyn Farel above.

« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2015, 14:13 by Tamiroth »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #113 on: 01 Jan 2015, 15:52 »

I think specific use of IG language words help accentuate certain things. For example, when Jenn uses "kirjuun" instead of "friend," it denotes a deeper relation with consequences to her.

Beyond that, I think I agree that I find it disruptive when something is fully in a foreign language. It forces me to either ignore it completely or go through an entire Google Translate exercise.

I take more of an issue with associating an ingame faction with RL cultures than just having to google translate. For example I wasn't annoyed by gallente being lolfrench space federals because I had to google translate (since I speak it directly RL anyway) but just for the fact that it was equating the RL culture with the gallente manners and culture (fortunately they removed that from the lore). I am already much more at ease when it's just gallente mannerisms and memes, like corporate japanese tropes for caldari, spiritual japanese for achura, persian for amarr, etc etc, since all are inspired from that and so on.

And even that is already too much because players will obviously, as usual, force the trait to silly levels, but that's to be expected. vOv

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #114 on: 01 Jan 2015, 19:37 »

"The Russians" are just like "the CFC"  when it comes to large amorphous groups on nullsec pilots to me.

I mean, try to rationalize in supersrs mode a conglomerate of pilots, over 35,000 Empyreans, flying under the supersrs banner of "The Clusterfuck Coalition" ...

.. the future need not be our version of serious, or superspecial beyond imagining.

Oh, this brings to mind about this part in Source that discusses how Capsuleers think they are in a game. It's probably just Capsuleer humour at work.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #115 on: 02 Jan 2015, 10:21 »

I never even bought Source, as I operate (still) on the psychotic premise that EvE stated one would never need to pay more for content than the subscription fee, and Source costs extra.. ;)

.. anyway, people thinking they're in a game Ari usually figures is CDD (or what other player's chars call Capsuleer Dementia)

Also, capsuleers thinking something is a game would fit perfectly as to why baseliners are, in general, kinda scared shitless of capsuleers, as essentially you could run into one who doesn't even think you're a real person... ;)

Could be humor.. could be just bare facts.  It is pretty much a clusterfuck, more or less... ;)

« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2015, 10:23 by Arista Shahni »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #116 on: 03 Jan 2015, 09:42 »

I never even bought Source, as I operate (still) on the psychotic premise that EvE stated one would never need to pay more for content than the subscription fee, and Source costs extra.. ;)

.. anyway, people thinking they're in a game Ari usually figures is CDD (or what other player's chars call Capsuleer Dementia)

Also, capsuleers thinking something is a game would fit perfectly as to why baseliners are, in general, kinda scared shitless of capsuleers, as essentially you could run into one who doesn't even think you're a real person... ;)

Could be humor.. could be just bare facts.  It is pretty much a clusterfuck, more or less... ;)

I mean naming a coalition the 'Clusterfuck Coalition' is probably capsuleer humour at work.
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2015, 19:14 by Elmund Egivand »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #117 on: 04 Jan 2015, 06:05 »

There's one, fairly substantial, thing that hammers in the whole "what you see isn't IC", and that is the wormhole systems map.

In-game, until CCP disabled it, it was possible to map, the position of a wormhole system, using distances from POS towers. This showed the systems as being another cluster of systems, several lightyears to the south east.

A core of C6, surrounded by C5, then C4, with C3,2,1 being ever outwards to the periphery of the cluster of wormhole systems.

This is also repeated through examining the static eve data export, which has the universal co-ordinates of all the star systems. Again, same pattern of wormholes being in a tight cluster.

Except, according to CCP devs, all the J123 numbers used by wormhole systems refer to entries in a RL astronomy catalogue of something (quasars?), and they are scattered all over the universe, and their spatial relationship with each other bears no resemblance to what is seen ingame.

What you see ingame, is 'just a game' and not what you'd "see" IC.
\o/

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #118 on: 04 Jan 2015, 06:56 »

IKR!  :psyccp:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]