Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Khanid and Sansha ships were originally half lasers half missiles split ships?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Why Did I Come Back To EVE?  (Read 11526 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Why Did I Come Back To EVE?
« Reply #75 on: 20 Sep 2014, 16:53 »

Really? I'd think anyone with a history with you would also be old enough in the game to appreciate the difference quite a few years of SP makes. That's just... sort of rude, as far as I'm concerned.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #76 on: 20 Sep 2014, 17:15 »

Eh. It was less a criticism or warning and more a statement of fact.

That said, this is a setting in which clonejacking is a real, canonical thing. Related concepts are legion. There's a lot I could do; the question is, what can I do without regretting it. There's not much that would be reversible.

Regardless, I'd actually been more or less tired of the Aria persona for a long time-- motivating the wee psychopath was increasingly a chore. Perhaps a clean-ish break is both possible and desirable.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #77 on: 20 Sep 2014, 20:14 »

Just throwing in the obligatory "oh my god starting SP over is horrifying." I have biomassed many characters over the last seven years and it has bitten me in the ass many times.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #78 on: 20 Sep 2014, 21:59 »

I'd always been afraid to bring up clonejacking bits for reasons, even though it is in my char. history.  Someone always seems to find a way to point out all the WRONG parts of it, even though the attempt was ultimately a failure in Arista's case.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #79 on: 20 Sep 2014, 22:11 »

Clonejacking RP can be fun, as long as other people play along with it.

I remember having a hoot with Aldrith some years back during an arc where Morwen had to borrow someone else's skin for a few days. xD
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #80 on: 20 Sep 2014, 23:54 »

Ah, yes. The forced gropings.

...we should find a way to tell Mitara about that IC sometime.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #81 on: 21 Sep 2014, 00:39 »

Ah, yes. The forced gropings.

...we should find a way to tell Mitara about that IC sometime.

I was more thinking of Morwen actually trying to play the part of someone else in the Gate until Aldrith tried messaging her and her datapad gave it away. >_>
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #82 on: 21 Sep 2014, 02:42 »

Sidenote, anyone else find it funny that the thingymajig we all use because sci-fi and stuff (back when it was first used) are now for all intents and purposes perfectly mundane real life tech? We need to upgrade. I am hereby introducing... err, a thing an alt of mine used years ago: The Pearl.

A small pearl that can either be integrated into jewelry, clothing or just carried around in a pocket or whatever. When voice activated or tapped twice it projects a small adaptable holographic interface allowing for either a small touch-enabled screen or a larger screen in your field of view you can interact with either through touch, gesture or voice. Those of us with ocular implants can choose to use this external option or simply get a "HUD" style view with no external display. Full integration with implant technology exists, allowing for sub-vocal control.

Honestly, I think we're way past external peripherals anyway in New Eden. We've got the tech to internalize all these things as capsuleers, only using such tools if we need to show someone else things.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #83 on: 21 Sep 2014, 02:48 »

Sidenote, anyone else find it funny that the thingymajig we all use because sci-fi and stuff (back when it was first used) are now for all intents and purposes perfectly mundane real life tech?

:?:

you mean like, in an in-person rp channel, someone goes

* Louella Dougans types on her datadoodad

and then a comment appears on the IGS, or a different IC channel, like "the summit" ?
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #84 on: 21 Sep 2014, 02:58 »

That said, this is a setting in which clonejacking is a real, canonical thing. Related concepts are legion. There's a lot I could do; the question is, what can I do without regretting it. There's not much that would be reversible.

Regardless, I'd actually been more or less tired of the Aria persona for a long time-- motivating the wee psychopath was increasingly a chore. Perhaps a clean-ish break is both possible and desirable.

It could be the other way... Someone else in Aria's capsule, body, and gear. Completely clonejacked.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #85 on: 21 Sep 2014, 07:03 »

Honestly, I think we're way past external peripherals anyway in New Eden. We've got the tech to internalize all these things as capsuleers, only using such tools if we need to show someone else things.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Datapad suggests you are very wrong about us being 'past' such things. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #86 on: 21 Sep 2014, 07:08 »

I meant as capsuleers that can afford the most outlandish of replacements for basic consumer tech, similar to the special editions mentioned in that very article. (Which by the way basically describes a smartphone for all intents and purposes. You'd think they'd get a little further than that this many thousands of years into the future.)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #87 on: 21 Sep 2014, 08:39 »

It could be the other way... Someone else in Aria's capsule, body, and gear. Completely clonejacked.

That is, in fact, precisely the plan. The Aria Jenneth infomorph has wandered off elsewhere; the Aria Jenneth identity, with its remaining assets, is effectively vacant property waiting for its owner to return (unlikely) or for someone else to move in.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #88 on: 21 Sep 2014, 08:49 »

I meant as capsuleers that can afford the most outlandish of replacements for basic consumer tech, similar to the special editions mentioned in that very article. (Which by the way basically describes a smartphone for all intents and purposes. You'd think they'd get a little further than that this many thousands of years into the future.)

Some RPers have tried to go 'further than that' in the past and got absolutely shit on by everyone else for creating tech that is not in PF.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #89 on: 21 Sep 2014, 08:50 »

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Datapad suggests you are very wrong about us being 'past' such things. :P

I consider the Neocom to be basically an internal implant, seeing as you have access to it even when outside the pod. Datapads I'd see being basically laptops, but at the size of a modern cellphone, with holographic screens and keyboards. And probably also neural linkups for implants for people who'd rather do it all in their head (implants though would probably be for just rich people, most normal people probably wouldn't be getting implants for their daily lives, it's invasive and just not necessary).

Even with implants for the technology though I can't imagine using them to be the standard way of interacting with information medium, beyond communication and perhaps quick searches and locators (like GPS). It's too distant from the biologically natural way of interacting with tools. Maybe for heavily cyberneticized or otherwise very pro-transhumanism people it might be more natural because it's something they want to engage in, as well as for handicapped people who have no ability to interact with physical peripherals, but for normal people I don't see it going out of style. For the most part the limbs are a much more precise and controllable medium than the mind, and there's a lot more stability in having your work on an external platform. The mind is too easily distracted by errant thoughts and perceptions.

Just because something is theoretically possible doesn't mean it's desirable or useful.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2014, 08:56 by Samira Kernher »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8