Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That light pits, used to hold ships in place, are filled with complex electronic equipment, have no safety boundaries, and are lit with a dim blue light when not in use? (The Burning Life p. 77)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Why Did I Come Back To EVE?  (Read 11486 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Why Did I Come Back To EVE?
« on: 11 Sep 2014, 12:00 »

What is it about EVE that makes us come back? After about a week of being back, I started trying to figure out why I came back. I'm not really doing anything. Some standings grinding, some trading. But there is no roleplaying happening that I am interested in. I have no interest in going back to null like the old days or heading back into faction warfare like the less old days. Trading is getting boring because I have nothing to do with the ISK. As far as I am concerned, EVE RP is absolutely in its twilight - arguably so is EVE as a whole, but that is a different story.

I just can't figure out why I came back. I get nothing out of it except a very vague sense of 'home' that does not do much for me anymore. I don't log in enough anymore to make enough ISK to pay for my sub, so it is just money down the drain. I have a hard time seeing myself continuing on, instead just becoming another Backstager that enjoys talking about the lore or fiction from time to time but not actually playing the game.

Why do we come back? Is it the time investment in the characters? Is it the odd sense of home that EVE can bring?

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
Re: Why Did I Come Back To EVE?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2014, 12:19 »

Can I have your stuff?

I mean, we come and go.  I didnt START eve primarily for RP, so lack of it doesn't kill me.

Again, shame Jared isn't subbed -- cause THAT would be some fun stuff :3  Wanna wait till the end of the month?  LOL.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2014, 12:25 »

Can I have your stuff?

I mean, we come and go.  I didnt START eve primarily for RP, so lack of it doesn't kill me.

Again, shame Jared isn't subbed -- cause THAT would be some fun stuff :3  Wanna wait till the end of the month?  LOL.

I didn't start for that either. Up until 2009 I didn't really RP all that much. But I have long since become easily bored with the rest of the game. Though, part of it may just be my lessening interest in MMO's in general. I want something different. Something absurdly immersive. Combine EVE, The Sims, Tomb Raider, and Tropico. That would be a game I could get excited about again.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2014, 12:29 »

That's why I resist. I tend to imagine that when I will come back there will magically be plenty of RP like in the old days just waiting for me, but that's a lie. We tend to fantasize on the good old things unconsciously while forgetting the true state of things ingame when we left in the first place.

I think we mostly come back out of nostalgia and also, because we befriended people we used to spent quite a lot of time online with and that we probably miss. I know I miss some people, especially the ones that do not come very often to backstage. And even on backstage, it's not the same, it's asynchronous.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2014, 13:34 »

More people talk about Rping than RPing. ;)

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2014, 14:21 »

More people talk about Rping than RPing. ;)

Unless you have people you have storylines with that have been going for a long time or people you can just private convo whenever to RP, there is a critical mass required for people to find regular RP. EVE has lost that critical mass.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2014, 14:43 »

You make that critical mass yourself.

Find a group, get involved, do space-stuff with them. Or even just comm people or organize events and establish storylines instead of waiting for them to happen to you.

If you're sitting in a one-man corp hoping to find interesting chatter on the Summit then it's no wonder you aren't getting any RP.

Now yes, things are at a lull. No one can deny that. But lulls don't get fixed by people sitting on their hands moping about it, they get fixed by people getting up and taking initiative.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2014, 14:52 by Samira Kernher »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2014, 14:50 »

You make that critical mass yourself.

Find a group, get involved, do space-stuff with them. Or even just comm people or organize events and establish storylines instead of waiting for them to happen to you.

If you're sitting in a one-man corp hoping to find interesting chatter on the Summit then it's no wonder you aren't getting any RP.

Now yes, things are at a lull. No one can deny that. But lulls don't get fixed by people sitting on their hands moping about it, they get fixed by people getting up and taking initiative.

Some people have more patience than others. I have made the attempts in the past, but nothing ever came from them. And we are talking about different critical masses. I am talking about many public channels being frequently active, venues populated - that sort of critical mass. Not logging in to dead silence at all times and being required to be an RP door-to-door salesman with people. I just don't have the patience for that anymore. If some people do and they have a good time with it, more power to them. But that isn't worth it to me.

Edit: And as far as 'lulls' go, this is far beyond a lull. Unless a lull lasts years. I see no reason to believe that the days of many active channels and many sizable RP corps per faction will ever happen again. I guess that is what I have been waiting for all this time. But it just won't happen. As I said, if others enjoy the current state of things - more power to them and I hope they continue to have fun. It just don't think it is enough for me.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2014, 15:06 by Jace »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2014, 16:04 »

What do you propose to fix them ? One does need a clear picture on what to do to begin with.

Even before I left, I was left with absolutely no clue on how to proceed. It was not just about being part of the PIE little private circle, it was about RP actually happening. It is very easy to tell that to others when you are in your self sufficient niche when most of the former aren't. When the former are the ones actually trying things here and there out of despair.

The only alternative I saw before making my decision to leave  was to create a new character and get a new start. Creating something very mainstream to be sure to fit in the correct few surviving circles. When I saw that the only solution was to join PIE or any other few surviving RP closed circles, starting anew, it just killed the last flame I still had.

tl;dr : I find it a bit harsh to get told something like that by people actually being in the easy position. Tell us what is your magical plan for it to work and i'll get back ingame asap.

Edit : sorry if that came out a bit harsh. I'm so sick of having been told that again and again and again over the past years that it's a bit like the last straw for me. I mean, maybe people are not just complaining and waiting to be fed. Maybe they are complaining for a reason ?
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2014, 16:14 by Lyn Farel »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2014, 16:26 »

It is a bit harsh but it's also (unfortunately) true.

Part of the reason the lull appears to so bad right now is because, imo, we're compounding the issue. Not enough people are out playing the part of ~content generator~ to support the number of consumers. The only way to fix that, since we know that realistically CCP won't be doing anything on their end to help, is for us to generate the content ourselves.

But if nobody's willing to step up and do it... well, all you're left with is the idle, stereotypical Summit chatter.

I've just recently held an event at the Masque for the AT, Luna's going to have a wine-tasting event in a few months I think, Steff is also having an event, and there's all of the stuff Nauplius is doing, to name a few things. But even that isn't really enough - we need more people who are willing to create content for others to interact with, and until we have that we really aren't going to see any improvements in the situation.

A bunch of hungry people sitting at a dinner table aren't going to eat unless someone cooks dinner. And right now we've got a lot of people at the table and not very many cooks. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.  :(
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2014, 16:31 »

Edit: I would like to retroactively apologize for being a dickhead below.

It is a bit harsh but it's also (unfortunately) true.

Part of the reason the lull appears to so bad right now is because, imo, we're compounding the issue. Not enough people are out playing the part of ~content generator~ to support the number of consumers. The only way to fix that, since we know that realistically CCP won't be doing anything on their end to help, is for us to generate the content ourselves.

But if nobody's willing to step up and do it... well, all you're left with is the idle, stereotypical Summit chatter.

I've just recently held an event at the Masque for the AT, Luna's going to have a wine-tasting event in a few months I think, Steff is also having an event, and there's all of the stuff Nauplius is doing, to name a few things. But even that isn't really enough - we need more people who are willing to create content for others to interact with, and until we have that we really aren't going to see any improvements in the situation.

A bunch of hungry people sitting at a dinner table aren't going to eat unless someone cooks dinner. And right now we've got a lot of people at the table and not very many cooks. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.  :(

I understand the point folks are making. But the two things I largely disagree with are: 1) the notion that there are a lot of people hungry and wanting RP, and 2) that there is much content to actually be made.

I really do not think there is a large RP playerbase for EVE anymore. Most new people I have known over the last couple of years show up for space RP and go "oh, it is all in chat windows?" Then they leave. I really do not think there are that many RPers in EVE anymore.

And about content, it has all been done before. Every type of corp imaginable, every ideology, every crisis - it has all been done by the veterans. So when anything happens, they go "meh, so what?" Yes, Naup managed to get two corps after him. But nobody else cares. And the same would be true for any 'content' generated. At the absolute best a couple small groups of people would be interested (usually nobody) and everyone else will just ridicule them for caring. Not only is it a twilight, but it is a bitter and toxic twilight.

Edit: And even if I accept all of your points and the underlying point is that it is idle because nobody is stepping up to change anything, well, that is also a twilight. Because there is no reason to believe anyone ever will change anything if that is even possible. The blame may be on those of us that are frustrated, but the consequence is the same.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2014, 08:32 by Jace »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2014, 16:48 »

The point in the last statement is relative: compared to the number of content creators the number of content consumers is pretty large; there are not enough creators to supply the consumers adequately, partly because the creators cannot cover all of the different interests of the consumers.

I don't disagree that there is likely no longer a large RP playerbase, as far as people who want to do RP through chat in addition to space stuff goes. I think a lot of people have migrated to just doing "what I do in space is my RP, fuck chat", and given the way things have gone lately I really can't blame them. (Full disclosure: I am ALMOST at that point myself despite my best efforts, and for the people who have known me for a long time, well...)

If we want things to get better we need to do it ourselves. Host events. Start arcs. You might not catch everyone's attention but eventually you will hit on something that does. Many of us older players are kind of done with our own arcs, or stalled in them, but it's not like we won't get involved or react to other arcs going on if they intersect with our spheres of interest.

I'm helping someone out with one of their arcs right now because they dangled a hook that was interesting to me, even if my own have been floating around, the bait on the hooks completely rancid and rotten by now. I doubt I'm the only person who's in that sort of situation.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2014, 17:12 »

Social bonds are one of the strongest forces in human life. Yes, I think it's the odd sense of home.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2014, 19:00 »

What do you propose to fix them ? One does need a clear picture on what to do to begin with.

Even before I left, I was left with absolutely no clue on how to proceed. It was not just about being part of the PIE little private circle, it was about RP actually happening. It is very easy to tell that to others when you are in your self sufficient niche when most of the former aren't. When the former are the ones actually trying things here and there out of despair.

The only alternative I saw before making my decision to leave  was to create a new character and get a new start. Creating something very mainstream to be sure to fit in the correct few surviving circles. When I saw that the only solution was to join PIE or any other few surviving RP closed circles, starting anew, it just killed the last flame I still had.

tl;dr : I find it a bit harsh to get told something like that by people actually being in the easy position. Tell us what is your magical plan for it to work and i'll get back ingame asap.

Edit : sorry if that came out a bit harsh. I'm so sick of having been told that again and again and again over the past years that it's a bit like the last straw for me. I mean, maybe people are not just complaining and waiting to be fed. Maybe they are complaining for a reason ?

There is no magical plan. There never has been and never will be. People want to believe there's one, that a thriving RP community is something that pops up out of smoke and air and pixie dust, but it isn't. It takes hard work and effort. Every RP community ever believes that RP is dying. This is not limited to EVE, and you will find the same thing whereever you go. You are sick of what I said, while I am sick of over a decade of reading "RP is dead" threads every few months in every single RP community I have ever been in. Many of which have had random RP as limited or more than EVE's. Indeed, even in a lull the Summit as a global channel still provides more daily random RP than empty streets in a city in a traditional MMO, and the IGS is an especially useful tool in providing a setting for roleplay that is devoid of the normally heavy restrictions imposed by timezones and busy RL schedules. I certainly get more RP in EVE right now than I do in any of the other MMOs I have focused on recently.

I have to pause here for a moment to expand on because it's a seriously significant thing: the IGS, not the Summit, is the tavern of EVE RP, superior even to taverns in most MMO RP communities in its capacity as a springboard for further interaction. Characters who post here express their desires, interests, and actions in a widely-accessible, permanently-visible medium, making every post a potential opening for those who wish to explore further discussion and development through use of external communication methods like mail, in-game conversations, or space activities. Random RP is ideally a starting point, rather than a goal in itself.

The fact is that despite Jace's wishes, being a door-to-door salesman is a required trait in being a roleplayer. Healthy roleplay is built on proaction, not reaction. If you don't have contacts or storylines for your character then you have to create them. You need to venture out and find friends (or enemies) and build those relations. You have to cast a line if you want to hook a fish. Make up reasons to interact with people you otherwise wouldn't, or create events to bring people together, and then build on those new connections. Watch the Summit, watch the IGS, watch what people say and do, and reel in when you find something interesting that you'd like to get deeper into. Once those connections are formed, you have a foundation on which to proceed moving forward. On the Amarr side of things, people like Odelya, Nauplius, and Lunarisse are an excellent example here: Odelya and Nauplius both served in the oppositional role, Odelya using IGS disputes as an excuse to create connections with and drag two otherwise unaffiliated roleplaying corporations into (violent) contact with each other (PIE and Stormcrows), and Nauplius working to provide content as an antagonist force to the point of creating his own corp so he could be war decced and launching his own towers so they can be shot at. Then Lunarisse going around being the diplomat gathering multiple different RP corps together and setting them off towards in-game space goals.

EVE is at a lull. But why is it at a lull? It's at a lull because CCP cut off the free food it was giving the RP community since launch. When CCP starts posting news and live events again, activity shoots through the roof (as seen spring last year). This demonstrates that these RPers are still around--they are just waiting for content that they can latch on to. This is because what creates RP is something to talk about, and EVE's RP community believes that CCP are the ones who should be providing this content. I don't think this is something that can or should be relied on moving forward; issues, topics, and content need to be generated by the RPers rather than the devs.

Also, Lyn: There is no private self-sustaining PIE RP circle. Very little internal RP happens; most of our alliance RP is done through space pew pew. Occasionally there's stuff between me and Aldrith and sometimes Mitara, and occasionally other PIE people show up at RP events, but for the most part my IC contacts lie outside of PIE. Despite Sami being a horribly withdrawn character, I've made sure to cultivate a wide net of IC connections which give me multiple options for RP both inside Amarr and out.

I think it should be noted, that I do understand the feeling of having all of your previous contacts and stories disappear and having no one else to turn to and no energy to rebuild it all. I've been there before, many many times, in EVE and in other RP communities. I've gotten drained, stressed, and encouraged to quit. But ultimately that unwillingness is my own doing; you get out what you put in, and if you've lost the energy to put in then you won't get much out. Usually a break is enough for me to recharge my batteries enough to dive in again after a few months and give it another go. Sometimes it isn't, and you decide that you're done for good. There isn't anything wrong with that. What never helps the community though is to bittervet about how things are bad and will never improve, as it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy where current players feel that it's pointless to put in work to improve things and so don't. One should always, always encourage initiative and agency. An experience with community leadership in another faltering RP community two years ago taught me just how much a few people can do when they have the energy and will, so I prefer to encourage people to think positively (though I can't deny that I get caught up in the bittervetting myself often enough, but it's something I know I should avoid).

And Jace, I apologize if you didn't intend for this to be an 'EVE RP is dying' thread. The question about what keeps us coming back is marred by the rest of the post being about how bad you believe things are, which isn't encouraging to those of us currently playing. In answer to what makes us come back, I'll link to a post I made on a similar topic on the official forums, which sums up my beliefs.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2014, 19:07 by Samira Kernher »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2014, 19:22 »

Edit: I would like to retroactively apologize for being a dickhead below.

I think part of the disconnect between myself and others is the 'go out into space and RP' perspective. That has never been my primary style of RP - in any setting I have roleplayed in. I have always been an interpersonal roleplayer. Politics, friendships, and other elements along those lines. That style of roleplayer used to be able to thrive in EVE but does not seem to be able to anymore. I realize many EVE RPers view that kind of roleplaying as boring and pointless, but to me that is where the stories lay. Yes, I was in null back in the day and yes I was involved in faction warfare at various times. But those were always incidental things to keep me, the player, busy when there was not roleplaying going on. To me, orbiting someone and firing my guns is not roleplaying. I know it is for many people and I understand there are different approaches to roleplaying. But shooting at people and yelling in local is not RP to me.

I think more than anything, more than the amount of roleplayers, more than the people that are gone that I fucking miss like hell, more than CCP not doing much, I think that is the main disconnect I have with where the EVE RP community is at. For some people it is an improvement. They have an evil one to go hunt down, they have a few duels in-character. If that is what they are looking for them, gods bless them. But it just isn't my style of roleplaying. From my history of roleplaying it doesn't even feel like roleplaying at all. Obviously it is, but I just can't get interested in it.

And I really am sorry this turned into a trash EVE thread. It was not meant to be that way, but I understand how my post led it to being that way. I think I just miss people and my nostalgia is keeping me stilted, it is keeping me from being able to adapt to the new way of doing things because that is just not the kind of roleplayer I am. I'll probably edit this post down to nothing tomorrow when I read it again.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2014, 08:31 by Jace »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8