Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that ectoplasm (pod goo) is illegal in all empire space except the Minmatar Republic?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Surviving RP  (Read 11745 times)

Anabella Rella

• Not angry, just passionate dammit!
  • Wetgraver
Re: Surviving RP
« Reply #30 on: 12 Nov 2013, 16:02 »

I sense a good deal of passive-aggressive angst in this thread...
I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #31 on: 12 Nov 2013, 16:17 »

I sense a good deal of passive-aggressive angst in this thread...

Wait you noticed that too? I thought it might have just been in my head.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #32 on: 12 Nov 2013, 16:44 »

If people aren't having fun, why stay?  That's what facebook and instant messengers are for, keeping in touch with people.

If the RP scene is too monotonously toxic, RP somewhere with more variety.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #33 on: 13 Nov 2013, 12:36 »

Can't be me, I'm not very passive in my agression. >.>

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 13 Nov 2013, 12:57 »

Heya Kunarian!  :cube:

Some advice:

[11/9/13 2:32:25 PM] [Censored]: lol everyone gets sick of backstage at some point
[11/9/13 2:32:31 PM] [Censored]: only RP snobs go there
(Wasn't me, swears!)

However this is also typically said for The Summit and occasionally the Intergalactic Summit too. The RP community for EVE Online is not very friendly at all, especially when compared to communities such as The Secret World or Roleplayer Guild. Even when it comes to being on-the-ball with the Lore here, as deep as it is.

Some people are very determined to believe their piece of the pie is the best and they're empowered within a group which (should they want to or not) enforces a standard which caters to them. This standard is to met by others or they'll end up outside the social circle very quickly.

If you're outside the circle, like me, prepare for endless waves of sarcasm, mockery, and plenty of personal attacks. If you're ever needing a little pick-me-up, just take a look at what I get to sort through within my posts, as I'm pretty inviting within my type of character for that kind of attention.

In the end, you can't please anyone by being independent and/or standing out, and if you like never using constructive criticism, and prefer sarcasm alongside jabbing one-liners, this might totally be home for you!  :D

Truthfully I hope not.

The Lore of EVE deserves better than that,
Isis

This sounds very similar to your IC postings on these issues.   

Lyn Farel

« Reply #35 on: 13 Nov 2013, 13:30 »

Funny how those things can suddenly become first world problems when on other MMOs I have usually been in open war with most idiots that constitute the standard MMO RP community package... Never had the time to even see the kind of "issues" I see on Eve, which speaks for itself  :P

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #36 on: 13 Nov 2013, 13:35 »

Let's call them "Off-world problems".  Makes more sense.

Isis Dea

• Radical Sebiestor Rebel
  • Clonejack
  • 327th Wing [Jaijii-Hnolku] - STPRO, Caldari State
    • Isis Dea's Posts
« Reply #37 on: 14 Nov 2013, 13:57 »

Some advice:

[11/9/13 2:32:25 PM] [Censored]: lol everyone gets sick of backstage at some point
(Wasn't me, swears!)

However this is also typically said for The Summit and occasionally the Intergalactic Summit too. The RP community for EVE Online is not very friendly at all, especially when compared to communities such as The Secret World or Roleplayer Guild. Even when it comes to being on-the-ball with the Lore here, as deep as it is.

Some people are very determined to believe their piece of the pie is the best and they're empowered within a group which (should they want to or not) enforces a standard which caters to them. This standard is to met by others or they'll end up outside the social circle very quickly.

If you're outside the circle, like me, prepare for endless waves of sarcasm, mockery, and plenty of personal attacks. If you're ever needing a little pick-me-up, just take a look at what I get to sort through within my posts, as I'm pretty inviting within my type of character for that kind of attention.

In the end, you can't please anyone by being independent and/or standing out, and if you like never using constructive criticism, and prefer sarcasm alongside jabbing one-liners, this might totally be home for you!  :D

Truthfully I hope not.

Isis

Guilty as charged. Hence also why I used the term "like me".  :cry:

It's sad when it comes down to that as means of survival within an RP crowd. Unfortunately that's what we've come to these days within the IGS.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 14 Nov 2013, 14:01 »

It's maybe just me of course, but taking OOC issue into IC interactions is the best way for something to end in drama.

That's precisely why I stayed the hell away from that topic. Everyone was posting OOC feelings barely wrapped into a delicious IC sugarcoat...

Isis Dea

• Radical Sebiestor Rebel
  • Clonejack
  • 327th Wing [Jaijii-Hnolku] - STPRO, Caldari State
    • Isis Dea's Posts
« Reply #39 on: 14 Nov 2013, 14:50 »

It's maybe just me of course, but taking OOC issue into IC interactions is the best way for something to end in drama.

That's precisely why I stayed the hell away from that topic. Everyone was posting OOC feelings barely wrapped into a delicious IC sugarcoat...

Isis was originally built in mind for people to react very taboo-like. Of the taboo-planned reaction were the typical slap downs or sarcastic dodges. Isis had to be able to survive that kind of RP. So an OOC argument was made within her character to break the wall of shitty RPers.

Does her opinion reflect OOCly though? No. Not in the slightest. And part of me wishes I didn't have to make her so childish and stubborn in the first place.

But as said; shitty RPers.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 14 Nov 2013, 16:52 »

*snip*

So an OOC argument was made within her character to break the wall of shitty RPers.

Does her opinion reflect OOCly though? No. Not in the slightest. And part of me wishes I didn't have to make her so childish and stubborn in the first place.

But as said; shitty RPers.

Pardon my EVElike bluntness but... what?

If you're dealing with, as you perceive it, a "shitty group" of RPers, and at the same time see yourself above such a thing, why use a shitty tactic?  I really don't get it, Isis.  I mean, I know enough toknow you busted your ass to set up somethign very cool that would have enhanced the RP community as a whole, but your entrey was somethign so alienating as to leave a group of people (namely, EVE players first, RPers second) to leave themselves thinking that you're, for lack of a better term, a bitter player with a full intent to troll and insult the very community - or people within it - who would have been interacting with anything that you spent hours/days creating.  I remember the website you made for what can and will be an awesome RP location in a community that, in my opinion, is nearly starving for more local "public" locations other than the smalltalk of the Summit, and it seems that your introduction was little more than a bitter angry and pretty close to (if not outright) hostile reaction to the very people that would be attending.

Backstage isn't some singular clique of superfriends in a mutual appreciation society, despite what anyone else may whisper about it in private channels, it is a large swath of players from many cliques - some who interact, some who lurk and simply read and keep an eye on what everyone else is doing.  As an example, I probably RP with any consistently maybe half of a dozen of the people here, and there are certainly more than half a dozen posting, and many, many more reading. 

Coming in swinging was one of the worst tactics you could have taken on the matter.  You arrived assuming everyone hated you, and expressed the opinion that you hated everyone else. 

I've known you before all this nonsense, and this is not the person you are.  Hell, you're on my Skype, and that's one of two whole people who have my Skype info from EVE. 

It may be the person your character is to act in a certain manner, but unless my judgement of your personal character is wrong (as in OOC), this is definitely not the person you are.  No one here as far as I am aware was going to jump on you.  No one had any prejudices about you before you arrived.  In fact, long before you arrived here Backstage and were posting on IGS I was defending you in the channels that you despise and pointing out that this is your character, and not yourself.

Again, unless I am a horrific judge of character, you punched out, by accident, a large group of innocent people who had no preconcieved notions OOC as to who you are.

Call this tough love hon.  This is not some closed circle of elistist egotistical assholes who want to hurt people for fun.  Treating EVE players that way though is a pretty well known way to create a self fulfilling prophecy.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #41 on: 14 Nov 2013, 18:42 »

Some advice:

(Wasn't me, swears!)

Truthfully I hope not.

Isis

Guilty as charged. Hence also why I used the term "like me".  :cry:

It's sad when it comes down to that as means of survival within an RP crowd. Unfortunately that's what we've come to these days within the IGS.

Breaking IC/OOC separation (or having none to start with) as a way to combat a 'mysterious evil' that you can never seem to really point a finger at, isn't survival.

It's being the problem.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #42 on: 14 Nov 2013, 19:01 »

Honestly, I thought that the problem with the IGS RP community is that people think someone is keeping score.

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #43 on: 14 Nov 2013, 19:20 »

So am I the only one that enjoys RP as a pastime and doesn't see these issues? 

RolePLAYING

Play.  Seriously, laugh about it and have fun \o/
Haters: No Ayallah, You are stupid idiot because you are!  You could not possibly do the things you say!

Me: Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!   Spaaaaaaceeeee  Draaaaaammaaaaa laaaamaaa

Ride the space drama lama.  It is live action acting with also spaceships
How fucking cool is that :cube:

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #44 on: 14 Nov 2013, 19:33 »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10