Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ship crews either spend most of their journey in their escape pods, and are awoken with adrenaline only as needed?(Source: The Burning Life novel by CCP Abraxas.) or live aboard ship much like ship's crews today? (Source)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Surviving RP  (Read 11748 times)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
Re: Surviving RP
« Reply #15 on: 09 Nov 2013, 18:08 »

Something I've noticed is that when you try to RP your character as anything but someone who just throws in the occasional comment about being Caldari/Amarr/Gallente/Minmatar there seems to be a dedicated group of RP-ers who want to swoop in and just disagree with your characters opinions for the sake of what?

Go out flying in low-sec in a vulnerable ship, you are bound to get shot down. Same with IGS RP. Lots of people waiting to shoot someone down. If you enter the IGS in a verbal combat ship, don't be surprised if people shoot at you, and even blob you.

Isis Dea

• Radical Sebiestor Rebel
  • Clonejack
  • 327th Wing [Jaijii-Hnolku] - STPRO, Caldari State
    • Isis Dea's Posts
« Reply #16 on: 09 Nov 2013, 18:57 »

Something I've noticed is that when you try to RP your character as anything but someone who just throws in the occasional comment about being Caldari/Amarr/Gallente/Minmatar there seems to be a dedicated group of RP-ers who want to swoop in and just disagree with your characters opinions for the sake of what?

Go out flying in low-sec in a vulnerable ship, you are bound to get shot down. Same with IGS RP. Lots of people waiting to shoot someone down. If you enter the IGS in a verbal combat ship, don't be surprised if people shoot at you, and even blob you.

So plan ahead to spite people. Stubborness is a great character flaw. When you want to escape within your character, continue to even in a sea of trolls. The alternative suggested/implied by players is an opportunity to be exploited!

Example:

You: "Rawr, I met my demise. New Eden should feel justice!"
Them: "You deserved that. We laugh at you."
You: "So you're all pirates now? Remind me to call your illegitimacy out every time I see you from here on out!"
Them: "You're just stupid."
You: "Says the pirate scum. I'll never stop reminding you of it!"
Them: "None of us are pirates and we laugh at you."
You: "Then you're dispassionate, lost, and endorsing scum. You're practically still evil. It's now my quest to remind you of it. I will not tolerate this evil in my State/Federation/Republic/Empire!!"

And so on, so forth. You never stop, you never settle, justice is to be had and examples are to be made. Especially where you go after others in the RP community.

Until the community improves, this is one of the few ways I can only sadly recommend.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #17 on: 09 Nov 2013, 19:05 »

Hate everyone.

Kunarian

• Clonejack
« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov 2013, 03:01 »

I mean, from what I read there were plenty of ways to make your character defend himself, what does his combat record has to do with his opinions ? That's a very Eve thing, to always get back to epeen meter and ingame actions. While ingame actions are always mandatory to back up some claims, for things like that really it's a piece of cake to defeat them and make the one making the claim so silly...

Just trying to understand better.

Uri did point it out actually although my problem is dealing with the stress of the situation for myself personally and asking other RPers for advice about such things.

So plan ahead to spite people. Stubborness is a great character flaw. When you want to escape within your character, continue to even in a sea of trolls. The alternative suggested/implied by players is an opportunity to be exploited!

Example:

You: "So you're all pirates now? Remind me to call your illegitimacy out every time I see you from here on out!"
You: "Then you're dispassionate, lost, and endorsing scum. You're practically still evil. It's now my quest to remind you of it. I will not tolerate this evil in my State/Federation/Republic/Empire!!"

And so on, so forth. You never stop, you never settle, justice is to be had and examples are to be made. Especially where you go after others in the RP community.

Until the community improves, this is one of the few ways I can only sadly recommend.

I think I shall accept this, stubbornness for Uri, stress tablets for myself. :L I'll just have to find a way to be prepared for any possible stress.

Hate everyone.

Deep emotional breakthrough. Best birthday gift ever, would read again and teach to children.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2013, 03:07 by Kunarian »

Vikarion

« Reply #19 on: 10 Nov 2013, 03:56 »

Hmm.

I think I see how this goes.

If your character is nice to everyone, then they are a lickspittle who can't be bothered to stand up for anything, but if they reject some people, then your character is an asshole.

If you run around losing ships in PvP, then you are a violent warmonger who is also incompetent. If you don't, you are a puling coward.

If your faction argues within itself, then you are eating your own, but if you express unity, your faction has no depth.

And so on. People are always going to be attacking you, unless you don't matter. Do your own thing. Forget about everyone else. No one else matters - you are paying your own subscription fee or for your own PLEX.

One of my most enjoyable moments in Eve was getting ganked by someone, reshipping, stalking them, and then killing their (more expensive) ship. Other enjoyable moments included such things as assassinating RPers, can-flipping, suicide pods in high-sec for the lulz, and trying to make someone upset on the IGS. Certainly, many people didn't like that, and many, many have let me know, much to my delight. On the other hand, I'm still enjoying Eve.

What's even more fun is that the people who just trade, mission, or mine are hated too. There's always someone who hates you and everything you are. So what? I've always found ignoring someone or going on the offense to be fairly effective. You may even learn to experience a good deal of glee when some loud-mouthed unfortunate finds himself inconvenienced by a scam, gank, or war-dec you inflict.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #20 on: 10 Nov 2013, 04:34 »

Example:

Very few characters played around are not stubborn and actually open minded. Most character you will find abhor being wrong, and will do any amount of insincerity rather than admitting something, or eating crows. That's this stubborness that often create the things discussed here, be it reaching for low hanging fruit, arguing over the definition of one word, or just go to any length as to use most rhetorical fallacies to achieve one's ends.

Not that stubborness is bad, it can actually lead to characters for once sticking to their ideals ad vitam instead of being the prime example of the fickle capsuleer changing allegiances every month, but playing a character too stubborn in his/her opinions and more importantly, very abrasive when doing so, will obviously lead to clashes when facing most other characters that can show the same character... It is to be expected, and maybe there is also that IC/OOC echo chamber thing at play at times, it's far from being the only fact at play here.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 10 Nov 2013, 04:35 »

Hmm.

I think I see how this goes.

If your character is nice to everyone, then they are a lickspittle who can't be bothered to stand up for anything, but if they reject some people, then your character is an asshole.

If you run around losing ships in PvP, then you are a violent warmonger who is also incompetent. If you don't, you are a puling coward.

If your faction argues within itself, then you are eating your own, but if you express unity, your faction has no depth.

And so on. People are always going to be attacking you, unless you don't matter. Do your own thing. Forget about everyone else. No one else matters - you are paying your own subscription fee or for your own PLEX.

One of my most enjoyable moments in Eve was getting ganked by someone, reshipping, stalking them, and then killing their (more expensive) ship. Other enjoyable moments included such things as assassinating RPers, can-flipping, suicide pods in high-sec for the lulz, and trying to make someone upset on the IGS. Certainly, many people didn't like that, and many, many have let me know, much to my delight. On the other hand, I'm still enjoying Eve.

What's even more fun is that the people who just trade, mission, or mine are hated too. There's always someone who hates you and everything you are. So what? I've always found ignoring someone or going on the offense to be fairly effective. You may even learn to experience a good deal of glee when some loud-mouthed unfortunate finds himself inconvenienced by a scam, gank, or war-dec you inflict.

They see me baitin',
They hatin',
Patrollin',
They tryin'a catch my pirate Drammy...

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #22 on: 10 Nov 2013, 05:13 »

Hate everyone.

Deep emotional breakthrough. Best birthday gift ever, would read again and teach to children.

Then you are on the right track to surviving EVE RP and dealing with the bullshit comes with it.

Besides despising these people, there are a few other tricks that will make it easier to deal with.

A) Find a good corp that has people you like in it ( and people who to best of your knowledge have not, or are not trying to backstab you one way or another).

B) Distance yourself from the game, make sure EVE is not the only game you play. Once it is, the small aggravating shit will be much much more worse.

C) As a new player avoid making grandiose claims, prove your worth by doing and remember that actions have very far reaching consequences in this game. Some people get shit upon by things they did years ago.

D) Remember that RPfags are gonna be RPfags. No matter what you do, or how you do it, somebody is going to bitch about it, ignore it or revel in it. As long as you don't break prime fiction (or try to forcefully interpret to fit your views) your ass is covered.

Odelya

« Reply #23 on: 10 Nov 2013, 07:22 »

I have to agree with the OP and Isis. The general characteristic of the IGS often seem to be: If you say more than three sentences people will come, grab the weakest of it, get it out of context and start bashing you—ignoring the rest you’ve have said, even if it is the core of your communication. Writing just one witty line seems to be the key to “win” the argument.

That said: the IGS is for destroying sandcastles, private channels are for building them. Both ways can provide fun.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #24 on: 11 Nov 2013, 21:19 »

Hate everyone.

Best advice ever.

People are always going to be attacking you, unless you don't matter. Do your own thing. Forget about everyone else. No one else matters - you are paying your own subscription fee or for your own PLEX.

Second best advice ever.

stuff...lots and lots of stuff

I don't really know who you are but I like you already.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 12 Nov 2013, 00:47 »

Hate everyone.

Then you are on the right track to surviving EVE RP and dealing with the bullshit comes with it.

Besides despising these people, there are a few other tricks that will make it easier to deal with.

A) Find a good corp that has people you like in it

B) Distance yourself from the game, make sure EVE is not the only game you play.

C) As a new player avoid making grandiose claims, prove your worth by doing

D) Remember that RPfags are gonna be RPfags.

Vincent, I don't think I've seen so much common-sense in one place since I was advised to bring my own toilet paper into the field.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #26 on: 12 Nov 2013, 07:00 »

People are always going to be attacking you, unless you don't matter. Do your own thing. Forget about everyone else. No one else matters - you are paying your own subscription fee or for your own PLEX.

Kunarian, this pretty much answers the question your first post asked. And is probably the only thing you need to know to have fun in EVE.

Hate everyone.

This is also useful.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 12 Nov 2013, 12:34 »

I fail at hating everyone. :(

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #28 on: 12 Nov 2013, 13:12 »

“Do you know what love is? I'll tell you: it is whatever you can still betray.”

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #29 on: 12 Nov 2013, 14:52 »

I fail at hating everyone. :(

Likewise.  Although after the week I've had, I am getting close to doing so.

Seriously though, there are some nice gems in this community that make it worthwhile.  Don't be afraid to rp with lesser known names.  We have some new Amarr rpers in the Society that i think could be fun for people wanting to deal with Amarr.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10