Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Khanid and Sansha ships were originally half lasers half missiles split ships?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Capsuleer Tropes: Things that you love, things that you don't  (Read 12274 times)

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?

It becomes even more disturbing when I see some Caldari or Amarr fanboys starting to think that their faction is somehow a good model of society and ideals, to the point of denying every shade of grey and resorting to the same propaganda people usually use ICly.

Yeah, fortunately, a lot less of those, but I have seen some. It's disturbing.

While I probably wouldn't have chosen Amarr (or Khanid technically) when starting out if I'd known that I'd be joining the RP scene, it's been fascinating setting aside some headspace to a character that can comfortably justify everything that goes on in the Kingdom.  It's also thoroughly pointed out the flaws in the Federation and the Republic, because part of me now always sees them as Reppy does.  In fact, I sometimes have to take a step back to consider things objectively, because otherwise I actually start thinking of the Republic as a menace, and that was before Colelie and that clusterfuck started.  So I can see how people might hit that point, although as you say, it is a tad disturbing.

It helps that there's a running joke that I'm a closet fascist, of course.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain

I admit that I enjoy being Amarr.  They can have interesting paradoxes in thought that make them terribly frustrating to deal with, and even roleplayed as the sweetest, kindest thing in existence, the sweetest kindest Amarr can come off in a chilling, 'evil' way, leaving people not sure what to think.  I think it adds to their depth.

Reminds me of a book series I read years ago.  It's written with the protagonists as the 'evil' people and the 'good guys' being the enemy.  By the end you're cheering for the cursed evil knight and wanting to twist the innocent elf princess' head off because with third person omnipotence you see the reason behind why the 'evil' people do what they are doing - they're struggling to exist, constantly under siege by 'the good guys' who refuse to listen or understand -- with internal knowledge, you find yourself empathizing with the bad guys, who aren't "bad" in a truly objective sense, but simply on the ebon armor stormcloud side of the battlefield as opposed to the silver blue skied one.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran

Im seriously debating rolling an Amarr character and fly with PIE (if they would have me) if/when I have time to come back to the game.

Pro-slavery (he would call it "pro-scripture" or "Pro Truth" or something) of course. 

He would also secretly covet Aldy's hair.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain

Now now.  Slavery is bad.  Reclaiming, however, is a necessary act for the redemption of souls. ;)

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?

Reminds me of a book series I read years ago.  It's written with the protagonists as the 'evil' people and the 'good guys' being the enemy.  By the end you're cheering for the cursed evil knight and wanting to twist the innocent elf princess' head off because with third person omnipotence you see the reason behind why the 'evil' people do what they are doing - they're struggling to exist, constantly under siege by 'the good guys' who refuse to listen or understand -- with internal knowledge, you find yourself empathizing with the bad guys, who aren't "bad" in a truly objective sense, but simply on the ebon armor stormcloud side of the battlefield as opposed to the silver blue skied one.

Colour me intrigued.  What was it called?

Vincent Pryce

- Ishukone. Always with the fucking Ishukone.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!

They are... unique for Caldari. Peoples like to be unique  ;)
Besides, they are not so extreme and quite mild as Caldari. From my point of view, Ishukone mentality is much closer to ours and it makes playing them way easier than other types of Caldari.
I can't say I dislike this, but for me it is more attractive in Caldari what makes us different, and not what makes us the same.

Lyn Farel

They are... unique for Caldari. Peoples like to be unique  ;)
Besides, they are not so extreme and quite mild as Caldari. From my point of view, Ishukone mentality is much closer to ours and it makes playing them way easier than other types of Caldari.
I can't say I dislike this, but for me it is more attractive in Caldari what makes us different, and not what makes us the same.

I almost shed a tear  :eek:

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

Silas said something that upset Makkal Hanaya once; she immediately jumped in a combat ship, set the autopilot the 50 jumps or whatever, and headed straight over to have it out.  The result wasn't important, the act of -doing something- gave her more IC and OOC credit in that 30 minutes than some people ever earn in years of forum warfare.
It pleases me that you remember this. I considered that an important moment for Makkal even if she got her butt kicked back to null-sec. I recall you were nice enough to even wait around while I drove there and tell me what system you were in. :)

That's actually something I tend to loathe. You are only considered in a positive way if you have "balls". When I OOCly and ICly consider that actually having "balls" is just behaving like an animal, that my character will actually tell you every time that "winning a stupid space fight has nothing to do with you being right or wrong", then that mentality starts to seriously get annoying at a personal level.

I perfectly understand that this has become de facto the general capsuleer ideal, but sometimes I would really like to see capsuleers thinking otherwise and detaching themselves from the testosterone mentality.

Yes, that’s Makkal. All about the testosterone and showing people her balls.

Grrrrrrr!

Because honestly, you can jump in and show 'balls' all you want, but at the end of the day it only really matters whether you won or lost the fight.
At the end of the day, winning or losing a fight is only as important as you want it to be.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2013, 18:58 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

Having now read through the rest of the thread, I can answer the question.

What I love, what I value in another character, is that they are dynamic and rich.  Whether they be an abused slave or a heartless corporate raider or idealistic freedom fighter, when I interact with them, I should forget that there's someone playing them but believe for a moment that I'm chatting with another person.

I don't think concepts matter. A wonderful concept can be ruined by a flat or boring portrayal while the most unoriginal cliche can come to life with the right person at the rudder.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?

Having now read through the rest of the thread, I can answer the question.

What I love, what I value in another character, is that they are dynamic and rich.  Whether they be an abused slave or a heartless corporate raider or idealistic freedom fighter, when I interact with them, I should forget that there's someone playing them but believe for a moment that I'm chatting with another person.

I don't think concepts matter. A wonderful concept can be ruined by a flat or boring portrayal while the most unoriginal cliche can come to life with the right person at the rudder.

At the end of the day, we all have preferences and pet peeves and such like but when it really comes down to it... this.

Shiori

Very much so, yes. Interesting concepts and plots are nice things to have, but in the end, execution is what makes or breaks things. At its core, Romeo and Juliet is just a story about horny teenagers, and Hamlet could just as easily have been set among an Appalachian meth cooker crime family as it could have among the royal family at Elsinore.*

To me, it's far more important for a character to have a distinct voice than it is for her to have an interesting or unique story. Tropes only irritate when they're a substitute for personality.

(*: mumble mumble story idea mumble where's my notebook.)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]