Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char started life as humble mechanic?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Pushed to open war  (Read 12093 times)

Keirym Thara

• Clonejack
Pushed to open war
« on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:01 »

With the advent of the Sarum family now openly urging Jamyl I to war with the Republic, it seems that my direction will soon be decided.  Whether Sarum is ostracized for his stance, or the Empress is moved to do something about her promise remains to be seen.  But either way, conflict is descending on this little graduate, and I need to prepare.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Pushed to open war
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:03 »

The Heirs are often barking about this or that and it hasn't gone anywhere yet, don't worry too much :)

If we had an isk for every time an Amarr official wants to finish Reclaiming the Matari we'd have bought Chribba's high sec dreadnaught by now.  :P

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:06 »

I'd love to see the Empress let him, and have Sarum try and get his fleet bounced off the curb by the republic, like what happened with Kador when he invaded Solitude. One holder's house military vs. that of an entire nation state is hilariously one sided.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:09 »

I'd love to see the Empress let him, and have Sarum try and get his fleet bounced off the curb by the republic, like what happened with Kador when he invaded Solitude. One holder's house military vs. that of an entire nation state is hilariously one sided.

Please no. Amarr navy has been trounced in almost every notable battle in recent history (Vak'Atioth, Elder invasion, Kador).

Next time the IN gets into a fight, I'd like to see it actually curb stomp shit like it's supposed to.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:11 »

You forgot the 7th Fleet in the Bleaks that got almost curbstomped by Defiants. :|

Keirym Thara

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:20 »

It is interesting to see how and what news is 'filtered' for students in the Academy.  This was worded in a way that took me off-guard, making me reconsider implications just as if it were the first time I had heard about it.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:22 »

Jamyl let Kador get his ass-kicked on purpose to be able to take over his fleet and consolidate authority :P

I also suspect Kador's Gallente lover had something to do with this, although we'll neverk now..

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:34 »

To be honest, I really hope things don't get pushed to open war. My reasons are both concern for the Amarr RP bloc - nobody likes getting a pile of stupid dumped on their faction's heads, and IMO that's exactly what this would be - and concern for the RP community as a whole:

As was said in a recent thread, CCP seems to lately feel that the only way to generate storylines and RP is to add conflict. Not enough RP? Just add more "rawr, grrr, you evil _____" and instant storyline! It works once or twice (Evaulon was good because of the visceral reaction that conflict created for a lot of people). It doesn't work ceaselessly, though; when I look back at the recent RP events, it feels to me like there was much more interest in the events which had a hint of construction rather than just pure destruction. Tribal Assembly? People were hyped for that. Running freighters to Cal Prime? The Live Event in the aftermath of the battle seemed like it was something people were happy with, and the (entirely player run) rescue effort beforehand was plenty fun as well.

tl;dr - People want to build stuff, not just fight. It's no fun for people to try defending their sandcastles when all they have is a vaguely castle-like muddy mound.

Good luck doing that if total war gets started. Anyone who's ever looked in the IGS or Summit knows, slavery and slaves get brought up plenty enough already.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:44 »

Nearly all player events with ccp will involves spaceships shooting each other, that's the primary in space interaction method.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:48 »

Nearly all player events with ccp will involves spaceships shooting each other, that's the primary in space interaction method.

Hence the problem.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:51 »

I do fondly recall back in AURORA days some events were non-combat.  Mining, resource gathering, etc.  They cast a wide RP net back then

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2013, 11:20 »

I miss Arek'Jaalan :(
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2013, 12:15 »

Man, anyone remember the Crielere construction event? IIRC, instead of saying "We're having this event", they just tweaked the market prices so that things like construction blocks sold at an astounding margin there. I'd just started playing, and my corp were all atwitter about what it meant. Next thing you know, boom! There's Crielere...

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2013, 09:32 »

Next time the IN gets into a fight, I'd like to see it actually curb stomp shit like it's supposed to.

I think it's because (as was pointed by Andy on the IGS), the Amarr haven't actually fought toe to toe with an equal enemy for an extended period of time, unlike say the Gallente v Caldari.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2013, 10:04 »

I think it's because (as was pointed by Andy on the IGS), the Amarr haven't actually fought toe to toe with an equal enemy for an extended period of time, unlike say the Gallente v Caldari.

With a navy that's supposed to outnumber anybody else five to one, I don't see why they actually need to be able to stand toe-to-toe on a balanced basis. Just drop twice or thrice as many ships on the field. Republic drops 15 Nags for another Colelie, this time in Imperial space? Okay. Imperial Navy drops 45 Revs, and 15 carriers. And five Aeons. Also an Avatar.

You don't need to be 'efficient' or 'effective' when you have an overwhelmingly larger navy.

Granted, I don't think CCP has enough event actors who can play the part, but then again they can just get ISD in on it. Give Mercury members and such some actor ships for the event.

It would be interesting to see how that might intimidate the Republic, maybe even scare them a bit and induce a panic: "Holy crap they still have a huge Navy, they aren't weak and decrepit!"
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2013, 10:08 by Katrina Oniseki »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11