Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Nugoeihuvi megacorporation is the only one of the 'big eight' with a large focus on the entertainment industry, and it is widely suspected of underworld ties?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Treatment of new/dramatic roleplayers  (Read 11604 times)

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
Re: Treatment of new/dramatic roleplayers
« Reply #60 on: 30 May 2013, 11:15 »

Courtship?..

...so uh...

Can I get yo numbah?

Flash in the pan, Anslo. Shin shows up at your private beach with a bottle of Apua'a (you know how hard it is to get that stuff?) and you drift off in a maudlin funk.  :D

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #61 on: 30 May 2013, 11:23 »

My general thoughts on the subject, not pertaining to CG :

Roleplay is a cooperative aspect; it is at its heart, a play upon a stage and we are its actors. In roleplaying with an individual, they are given an equal share of your story as much as you are given theirs. Fundamentally speaking, if you do not wish to roleplay with someone they are not involved in your story.

Newer persons to the 'established community' have little reputation to gauge for what they bring to the table. If they present themselves in ways the community operates, they are easier to evaluate and take in. If they behave in ways different from community expectations, it is more difficult to determine their worth. Thus, in certain respects, persistence is important as much as social awareness.

The backbone of any good community is the relationship they have at the out of character level. Not in the sense everyone is friends or Friday night drinks buddies, but people are known values. If a random alt of a person I considered excellent showed up, I would be likely to engage them. I have reasonable expectations that what will follow is to my standard, and life will be good. Contrast with a character of unknown origin; I most likely will not seek to be involved with them beyond a cold shoulder. My time might be wasted if they prove to be of undesirable values. Thus, I have to consider if my time spent on that risk can be worthwhile or not.

Others are considerably more open, mind you, but you can understand from the view point of someone who is insular.

In this respect, then, the community can be 'hard to get into', but only in so far as every other community. If you wish to participate in the community, you need to establish yourself with reputation that you want and is also attractive. If you are one who disregards norms, you will attract those who also disregard norms and repel those who follow norms. If you are one who prefers partners over community, you will attract partners and not free-floaters. So on, so forth. Like attract like is a very powerful social mechanism.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 11:26 by Ghost Hunter »
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #62 on: 30 May 2013, 11:32 »

So...
We ARE talking about the same person who posted pics of them peeing on stuff in OOC (with strategically placed bars over the meatybits)?
Yeah, that got them on the shortlist, IE if this person causes trouble, don't consult me first, deal with it.

It's good to examine intolerance by a community. This individual, however, is probably the wrong martyr for the cause. When someone creates an absolutely polarizing reputation in a very short time, the only way intolerance becomes an issue is if it we are literally inundated with it. I don't think that's the case here, but rather the community's response to a character that easily hit 8 of 10 items on the RPer Facepalm Checklist.

I wasn't bothered too much by CG, but I was concerned when I got so many people pulling me aside in private convoes and teamspeak asking me to look deeper. My response, even to my mods, was to wait and see. Still, in a couple of weeks, complaints were reaching Morwen Lagann levels. That's impressive.

[Section redacted]
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 11:37 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Cynthia Gallente

• Bunnies
  • Wetgraver
  • Bunnies.
« Reply #63 on: 30 May 2013, 11:34 »

graelyn
i never asked anyone to do anything.
and i have no corpmates.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #64 on: 30 May 2013, 11:37 »

graelyn
i never asked anyone to do anything.
and i have no corpmates.

Fair enough. I'll remove anything related to that.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #65 on: 30 May 2013, 11:40 »

I'll also mention something important here.
There are folks in this community, well liked folks, who initially annoyed the shit out of everyone:D
Some of them have come a long way.
Nothing is permanent, not even reputation or exclusion.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 11:42 by Graelyn »

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #66 on: 30 May 2013, 11:44 »

I wish there were a "like" button here, because I would totally be clicking it for what Ghost wrote.

Reading it reminded me of something I tried in Everquest II, when I wanted to break into the (extremely long established and hugely convoluted) RP community there. I had created a Dark Elf assassin from Freeport (EQ II Dark Elves are roughly the same as Drow in D&D, while Freeport is an ironically named city ruled by the iron fist of a dictator of Putinesque proportions). My first post in the RP community forums for the server I was on was basically "New villain available for your RP needs - I have created a new evil character, and I'm interested in getting involved in the RP community. If you need a villain, please contact me. I'm willing to tailor my character to suit." I ended up with this almost Diana Kimlike checkist, and had a wonderful time RPing with folks there. That worked well enough that I repeated the strategy in Star Trek Online (respectively, a Klingon growing disgusted with the weakness tolerated within the Empire; a Cardassian refugee trying to make his way in a hostile society; an Andorian who wants nothing more than to settle down and raise a family, yet is willing to set that aside in the face of the growing Borg threat; and an Orion smuggler trying to set up a channel for trading Federation prisoners of war as slaves) and Lord of the Rings Online (An Elf message bearer reluctantly drawn into the larger struggle as a result of an incident while delivering documents to a small Dunedain group in the Lone Lands).

Anslol

« Reply #67 on: 30 May 2013, 11:58 »

Courtship?..

...so uh...

Can I get yo numbah?

Flash in the pan, Anslo. Shin shows up at your private beach with a bottle of Apua'a (you know how hard it is to get that stuff?) and you drift off in a maudlin funk.  :D

IC: Depression

OOC: It was 1:30 am and I had work FFS DDD:< COME TONIGHT

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #68 on: 30 May 2013, 12:08 »

Shin drank half the bottle with Katarina before the Minmatar contingent went predictably lateral. She then chewed them out for crapping all over your hospitality, stomped off back to her shuttle (no easy thing to do, considering she was barefoot), and drank the rest on the way home.

She'll be back, though. She enjoyed being able to just sit and talk with folks she'd normally be shooting at. She thinks that's a valuable thing.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #69 on: 30 May 2013, 12:44 »

Slight follow up question: Is it hard for new RPers to break into the scene, as it were?
No. I managed to get a ton of RP right off the bat.

It is, however, very easy for new characters by new players to piss people off. The combination of ignorance of lore and not understanding the social web is a problematic one.

I also feel the need to link the geek social fallacies site.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 12:47 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #70 on: 30 May 2013, 12:46 »

Slight follow up question: Is it hard for new RPers to break into the scene, as it were?
No. I managed to get a ton of RP right off the bat.

It is, however, very easy for new characters by new players to piss people off. The combination of ignorance of lore and not understanding the social web is a problematic one.

This, pretty much.  It feels a little like walking into a place and smashing all the furniture when new players with new characters come in, sometimes.  Sometimes though they take their time, get a feel for things, and then fit themselves right into the evolving dynamic.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Anslol

« Reply #71 on: 30 May 2013, 12:47 »

What if they steal furniture...

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #72 on: 30 May 2013, 12:53 »

1.  These sorts of threads always focus on what the community did to supposedly 'force' people out, instead of the more obvious and relevant "what did the person do to attract such attention and treatment?" Tons of random people don't collude in secret to shit on an RPer spontaneously; the RPer repeatedly brings the derp all on their own and people tend to react in the same annoyed fashion.

2.  No one can force anyone to do anything, it's text on a screen.

3. 90% of RPers act within a pretty standard range of behavior, interaction, and general getting along.  90% of new RPers on the scene show an interest in that same range of behavior, and are usually welcomed.  However, there's always the small minority of special people bringing the derp who feel they need to be snowflakes outside of the normal framework of behavior.

It's like when you are a child playing an imaginary game with other kids, maybe you are all superheroes or whatever. 90% of the kids work within the rules of the game and play well together, but there's always -that one kid- who has to be special and is immune from the rules. NO WAY IM INVINCIBLE AND I KILL YOU ALL WITH MY SPECIAL POWERS. PAY ATTENTION TO ME. MY MOM SAYS IM THE BEST. 

Whenever I see some RPer pull random shit out of their ass and act like an idiot, I'm reminded of said child.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #73 on: 30 May 2013, 12:59 »

1.  These sorts of threads always focus on what the community did to supposedly 'force' people out, instead of the more obvious and relevant "what did the person do to attract such attention and treatment?" Tons of random people don't collude in secret to shit on an RPer spontaneously; the RPer repeatedly brings the derp all on their own and people tend to react in the same annoyed fashion.

This.

Zanzi

• Clonejack
  • PY-RE Head Diplomat
« Reply #74 on: 30 May 2013, 13:11 »

This.

Confirming this.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9