Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Adventures of White Lightning" is a Gallentean soap opera.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Treatment of new/dramatic roleplayers  (Read 11592 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Treatment of new/dramatic roleplayers
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2013, 08:42 »

As I understood it (Anslo touched on this), there was more at play than just Cynthia exhausting her warnings from Tib about her behavior in the Summit and getting banned for threatening to kill another character's child in response to someone else getting popped on the nose for being an insensitive twit. (I was uninvolved in that, for the record - I was distracted by Silver's party that night, which was going on at the same time, and not really paying enough attention to the Summit to give it much mind; upon reviewing logs, it turned out someone had tried getting my/Morwen's attention, but not in a particularly noticeable way, so nothing happened until later when Tib got involved.)

I'm not privy to the exact details of the other stuff (whether Cynthia or someone else who is feels like elaborating on them does is up to them, though rules still apply, so take care if you decide to do so), but from what little I've been told, she ran afoul of someone who plays by the "if I can't win at RP, nobody can" method. Which sucks, and frankly I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Sofia's also touched on the issues with the character, so I won't repeat much from there. Suffice to say, people often don't respond well to shameless attention-seekers and people who ignore criticism/feedback/suggestions (valid criticism, mind) in real life - our characters are people too, so why is it so unreasonable for them to respond that way in character? If the perception is that hands were extended and slapped away, and suggestions were given and ignored, it isn't unreasonable for people to stop trying and just express irritation/frustration at the person.

I don't think quitting was a necessary step. Stopping, stepping back and actually looking at the situation, and making a genuine request for help and suggestions, would have been the better choice.

As the person who banned CG, the character was banned for IC actions in an IC channel.  I did not ban the player, or remove them from OOC.

I thought banning someone from the Summit implied the same regarding OOC.
Send me a mail when you unban me from the OOC in that case. Much appreciated.

It does when the player themselves is the problem. Complaining on this forum will not get you unbanned, and when Graelyn is the one who banned you, asking Tib or any other moderator is about as useless as using a tennis racket to paddle a canoe.

Do not derail the discussion with this. I will not give you another warning.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 08:50 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2013, 08:45 »

Now now, I don't want this to turn crappy and be catacombed. It's a legitimate question based on what I've observed.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2013, 08:46 »

As the person who banned CG, the character was banned for IC actions in an IC channel.  I did not ban the player, or remove them from OOC.

If you get banned for OOC reasons, then you get banned from both.  You were also banned by Graelyn, so he's the guy you need to talk to!
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2013, 08:49 »

That's an interesting comment, Morwen. Actually, Graelyn has made violent remarks about Lasa's children before (I brushed it off). If the character isn't bothered by the remarks directed at their IC children, why should someone be banned for them?

Anslol

« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2013, 08:50 »

I don't mind IC bashing for stupidity ((i.e. "Why in the verse would you show off that severed head in the Summit? You filth!" followed by ignoring)) that doesn't lead to harassment. It can be beneficial at times to help the new person, and it falls on said new person to either take the criticism and get help OOC or just quit.

However, I was referring more to OOC shunning/cliquishness/social games. IC is IC and you get what you get, but OOC harassment, to the point of forcing people to quit for a play style that isn't harassing you majorly, can't be justified. In CG's case, I believe this is what happened. Someone decided to go after them/harass them OOC until they quit the RP scene. That, to me, is a nono.

I know who did it. I'm sure you all know who did it. That person can't be controlled, but this kinda shit has happened within our community (OOC/Backstage) despite this harassing person being absent. That's what irks me. The cold shouldering, the talking behind people's back, the ostracizing. We're a small community, why hell does shunning happen OOCly? ICly, whatever, fine. OOCly? Give me a damn break.

@Lasa: I know what they're on about and they WERE bothered by the threat.

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2013, 08:51 »

If you get banned for OOC reasons, then you get banned from both.  You were also banned by Graelyn, so he's the guy you need to talk to!

Nope, I got permabanned by Tiberious Thessalonia for... I think it was showing a slave on camera. The OOC ban soon followed suit, without any sort of explanation.

Let's not derail the thread, poke me in game about it when you come back from work.

Mister Screwball

• Wetgraver
    • http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7203/eatingevidencez.gif
« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2013, 08:51 »

That's an interesting comment, Morwen. Actually, Graelyn has made violent remarks about Lasa's children before (I brushed it off). If the character isn't bothered by the remarks directed at their IC children, why should someone be banned for them?

Its his channel so it might be hard to ban him from it  :s

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 30 May 2013, 08:52 »

Its his channel so it might be hard to ban him from it  :s

Isn't that just it? Do rules apply to some and not others? Like, for example, if I banned someone from Smokin' Aces for something and then I did the same thing?

Shiori

« Reply #23 on: 30 May 2013, 08:52 »

Stomping your foot and demanding love, attention and respect is the fastest way to lose it. Virtually every case of someone getting banned or being generally spat out of the community involves that person getting some flak for a real or imagined transgression, and then doubling down on it instead of seeking compromise or simply laying low.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2013, 08:54 »

Roleplaying in a shared world is a collaborative activity. I don't know the circumstances here because Svetlana is antisocial and because I don't have a particular fondness for exactly this kind of RP, but generally when you are starting out you should be listening and learning a lot more than you're talking. Once you have the lay of the land you should endeavor to craft your RP so that it merges with the current consensus -- once you have mastered that, you can try pushing it -- but if you cannot convince people that what you are doing makes sense in context, then yes, you're going to look/be treated as an idiot. Welcome to society.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 30 May 2013, 08:55 »

Slight follow up question: Is it hard for new RPers to break into the scene, as it were?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #26 on: 30 May 2013, 08:55 »

I don't know anything about your particular case, Lasa, and I'm guessing it's because a) you brushed it off, and b) it wasn't part of and didn't cause a shitstorm in the channel. That wasn't the case here, and Cynthia had already had a number of warnings for her behavior in the channel.

Again, I wasn't involved in her ban - or for that matter, any of her warnings, that was all Tib I believe - I'm just providing the details of the incident that resulted in it.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #27 on: 30 May 2013, 08:57 »

Nope, I got permabanned by Tiberious Thessalonia for... I think it was showing a slave on camera. The OOC ban soon followed suit, without any sort of explanation.

Let's not derail the thread, poke me in game about it when you come back from work.

No need.  Even if the IC ban wasn't there, the OOC ban is in place.  It trumps the IC ban.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 09:07 by Tiberious Thessalonia »
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #28 on: 30 May 2013, 08:59 »

a quafe bottle with lips.
WAIT.
STOP THE THREAD.

A quafe bottle with lips? Like, lips on the rim of the neck? So you'd be kissing the bottle while you drink from it?

We are going to make so much fucking money.

Anslol

« Reply #29 on: 30 May 2013, 09:00 »

Once you have the lay of the land you should endeavor to craft your RP so that it merges with the current consensus

No.

No.

A thousand times no. We don't need more consensus or more of the same. Even if they eventually push it after they're 'acceptable,' why should they HAVE to conform? Especially in an RP community of a spaceship RPG of all places? Fuck the norm. Be creative and damn the torpedoes I say.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9