Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small colony hangars cannot have comprehensive hangar security systems due to the need to scramble forces quickly? (The Burning Life p. 78)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Treatment of new/dramatic roleplayers  (Read 11591 times)

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
Re: Treatment of new/dramatic roleplayers
« Reply #120 on: 30 May 2013, 16:42 »

I agree with a lot that has been said, as a new MMOer and a new RPer I have seen a lot of the push back but what lucky enough to have people point me to the relevent crons or give me advice on what I was doin right and what I was doing wrong.  For the Vets, please be these people.  and for the new bloods like myself, don't take it personally and try to listen to those whe are helping.

Fuck the haters though.

Joh

• I jam stations.
  • Clonejack
  • Kick the tires and light the fires.
« Reply #121 on: 30 May 2013, 16:50 »

I've seen many incarnations of this thread in other games. :bash:
You can't tell people how to play their game. Just like you can't tell a group who to accept. Individuals are gonna be ostracized, there's no way around it. That is the nature of group dynamics.
-=  Forever in the future shall I battle as of yore. Dying to be born a fighter, but to die again once more.=-

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #122 on: 30 May 2013, 16:51 »

I didn't say it was truth, I said "you're probably doing something wrong." Self-reflection works both ways.

Mm, likewise I said a 'little' self-critique. If someone acted out of order and was subsequently ostracised, fair enough. But that doesn't mean the community at large can't spend a little time asking itself "Well, how did this come about? What were the circumstances? Did the group dynamics affect their behaviour?". If the community dogpiles someone continuously for an arbitrary reason (like OOC shit-talking when the player is not even connected to that channel) and THEN the dogpiled goes crazy, then it shouldn't go down that it was purely the individual's fault. Alas, most of the time it does.

Not talking about some deep introspection, just a little awareness.

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #123 on: 30 May 2013, 17:05 »

I'm fairly confident that the people out there who gave advice to CG were as patient, tactful and constructive as those who set Ayallah on the right path. As a previous poster already said, this community doesn't hold secret meetings to dogpile on one person just because they can.

If someone is already receiving constructive and well-intentioned advice, and still carries on with idiocy (i.e. chavs in the UK who are told that popping out more babies even though they already have 7 and then complain they have no money for their Burberry bling) then the person in question only has him/herself to blame.

As I said in an earlier nuked post, this community shouldn't be forced to accept and tolerate mediocrity because of all this political correctness.

To quote Silas,

"No thanks, go make a private channel and do you thing there, no one will want to interact with that, because it shits in our mutually created RP pool."

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #124 on: 30 May 2013, 17:18 »

Help Help Im being repressed!

As someone whose character is....off, and rides the drama llama, i still feel welcome in the community. Granted, my charater does not, but thats due to my choices.

I enjoy hating your character.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #125 on: 30 May 2013, 17:30 »

If someone is already receiving constructive and well-intentioned advice, and still carries on with idiocy (i.e. chavs in the UK who are told that popping out more babies even though they already have 7 and then complain they have no money for their Burberry bling) then the person in question only has him/herself to blame.

Am I bad because I immediately thought of Dame...?

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #126 on: 30 May 2013, 17:36 »

Real talk:I know a lot of people hate me. And you all wonder why I'm paranoid, thinking I don't know. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I'm serious. Sad, ain't it? :(

I know it's my fault, no one else's really. Let this forever stand as a testament and warning to new coming RP'ers; DO NOT BE ME.

Why the hell not? Anslo is awesome. Annoying at times, but awesome.

Am I bad because I immediately thought of Dame...?

No, but it can be argued Dame is bad because people though of Dame. I did too, incidentally.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #127 on: 30 May 2013, 17:41 »

The thing a lot of people don't seem to understand about RP and the RP community is that it is, essentially, a consensus construct. When you enter it you are going to affect change upon it - and that change will affect the long work and great investment that others have put into it.

When I started Pieter I turned up at The Summit and basically said "Hi. I'm new - what's this place about?" - I didn't turn up with three noble titles, a laundry list of distinctions and qualifications and more money than Croesus to start making demands. I worked to create a place that would be mine within the greater shared consensus - trying to create the impression that the changes I made and the energy I brought would ADD to what was already there and not detract from it.

I've never had problems interacting with anyone - from Pirate Queen Lady Vitalia, through Court Poet and Gentleman duellist Shutaq, Nation Diplomat Drake, Drunken madman Romanov, Science Experiment Freakshow Tetua and the Jackbooted Kim.

Not all of my relationships IC are smooth and non-contentious - but I like to think I haven't pissed off anyone seriously OOC. That's not an accident - the trick is to treat their characters with the respect I'd like them to treat mine with.

Arthas Romanov

• Clonejack
« Reply #128 on: 30 May 2013, 17:43 »

The thing a lot of people don't seem to understand about RP and the RP community is that it is, essentially, a consensus construct. When you enter it you are going to affect change upon it - and that change will affect the long work and great investment that others have put into it.

When I started Pieter I turned up at The Summit and basically said "Hi. I'm new - what's this place about?" - I didn't turn up with three noble titles, a laundry list of distinctions and qualifications and more money than Croesus to start making demands. I worked to create a place that would be mine within the greater shared consensus - trying to create the impression that the changes I made and the energy I brought would ADD to what was already there and not detract from it.

I've never had problems interacting with anyone - from Pirate Queen Lady Vitalia, through Court Poet and Gentleman duellist Shutaq, Nation Diplomat Drake, Drunken madman Romanov, Science Experiment Freakshow Tetua and the Jackbooted Kim.

Not all of my relationships IC are smooth and non-contentious - but I like to think I haven't pissed off anyone seriously OOC. That's not an accident - the trick is to treat their characters with the respect I'd like them to treat mine with.

Drunken madman turned musician turned religious zealot, get it right or gtfo >.> <.<

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #129 on: 30 May 2013, 18:56 »

This in a nutshell.

At the end of the day most of us are consensus interacting via text chat. We as wizard hat wearing RP nerds all have to work together, suck it up sometimes when we don't like things, but generally work together to make the world we imagine an interesting place to inhabit for most other people.

Some people aren't interested in that, some people are interested in making derp waves for the sake of making derp waves.  The herd resists this kind of shit.

At the end of the day it's all about -intention-.   

A new person interested in the lore, in the game, in RP, etc, can be excused many many things, retconned into whatever they want, accepted with open arms.

A new person being a shit will always be resisted.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #130 on: 30 May 2013, 22:41 »

[mod]Alright, this is likely to be fairly long, so I will eschew mod tags for most of it. Consider this all mod tagged anyway, please.[/mod]

Here is a good overview, because it is one of the major guiding ideas behind the moderation philosophy here (presented in a bit of a different way in the rules and guidelines, but still):

[mod]Everyone should feel free to RP the way they would like to RP. This does not obligate anyone else to change their RP to accommodate yours, nor does it obligate them to react to you the way you want or planned on them reacting, nor does it mean that they are out to get you when they don't do either of the previous, nor does it mean that they are obligated to RP with you at all. The reason that 'You're Doing It Wrong' is and can be banned on this forum without harming the quality of the discussion is because it isn't needed: RPers have and will continue to self-regulate by how and with whom they chose to spend their time. If your RP isn't something other people want to be involved with, they won't involve themselves, and you will be RPing alone. That is not everyone else's fault, and your entertainment is not their responsibility. If people criticize you, you have the choice of ignoring it, ditto if people say unkind things about your RP. In the end, the question is, 'Is what you're doing resulting in you having a good time?' Other people do not have to like your RP, and they do not have any responsibility to you to spend their time participating in it.[/mod]

Given the size of the thread, and how mixed decent advice and flamebait/trolling/off topic bullshit are, I'm locking the whole thing. As usual, please feel free to repost a similar topic or any of the off-shoot topics, but if the mods see people committing the same offenses, warnings and bans are likely to be forthcoming. I'll read through the thread here and try and mention, in a general way, issues as I run across them:

1) Don't insult other players or board members.

2) Don't engage in 'You're doing it wrong', including but not limited to: Calling certain RP stupid (No matter how right you think you are, it doesn't mean you can break the rules), calling people 'special snowflakes', deriding people for not being 'special snowflakes', etc.

3) Don't post off-topic - particularly in regards to unrelated feuds

4) Don't engage in flamebaiting or trolling, most often represented in this thread by assigning negative motives to other players (Attention-seeking, quashing creativity, the community at large is after me, etc).

Please remember that part of what makes for a constructive post is one that encourages people to engage in a useful discussion rather than flames and argument. Words matter, which should be self-evident on a forum, but apparently isn't - the same idea expressed different ways will be received differently and have different results. As is shown in the FAQ (which I recommend everyone review - look for the one talking about hippies).
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 22:49 by Silver Night »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]