Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ushra'Khan is the oldest active alliance in New Eden.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Treatment of new/dramatic roleplayers  (Read 11590 times)

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
Treatment of new/dramatic roleplayers
« on: 30 May 2013, 07:56 »

Do you think that some of the veteran RPers are too harsh on people with new or different ideas? This is kinda stemming from the stuff happening with Cynthia. I just feel that people will give it their all to push out a RPer that might stray from their norm of roleplay.

On that note, do people have to subscribe to a norm in roleplay? Are different or new ideas not acceptable? I just remember a time where things were different than they are now. I have been RPing for close to five years now so I do remember things "before."

Hope this random rambling makes sense.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Re: Treatment of new/dramatic roleplayers
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2013, 07:59 »

Do you think that some of the veteran RPers are too harsh on people with new or different ideas?

Only when their ideas are stupid.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2013, 08:03 »

Do you think that some of the veteran RPers are too harsh on people with new or different ideas?

What constitutes a stupid idea? If it's not stupid to the roleplayer in question, why should the greater community care?

Mister Screwball

• Wetgraver
    • http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7203/eatingevidencez.gif
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2013, 08:07 »

Huh for some reason it didnt post my reply  :s

Anywho what I was suppose to say was that Going against the PF and creating Drama for the sake of drama is a quick way to get people hating you
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 08:36 by Mister Screwball »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2013, 08:19 »

That was actually intended to be facetious, but since you asked..

Stupid ideas (to me) tend to be the ones that either blatantly ignore PF in order to do their own thing "because it's cool", or the ones that are done specifically to shock or be "edgy".

If you claim to be a 600 year old ancestor of Bloody Omir, who's having a secret relationship with Karin Midular's daughter and just happens to also be a high ranking member of the Guristas, then your RP is stupid.

People who demand respect by attaching a name to their day old character (Kor-Azor, Shakor, Heth, any other high profile NPC name) and claiming to be a relative, also stupid RP. By all means claim to be a relative, but until you've actually done something worthwhile, don't expect any respect.

Honestly, there is a wide ranging list of things I consider to be 'stupid ideas' but in their most basic form, it's anything that I look at and just go, "...what?"

(edited for spelling)
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 08:23 by kalaratiri »

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Anslol

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2013, 08:19 »

What constitutes a stupid idea? If it's not stupid to the roleplayer in question, why should the greater community care?

This. Outside of god modding, why should people care. Sure, CG's stuff might have irked me and a lot of people, but who cares? They kept it mostly within their circle, did their own thing with their own people, and didn't pull any crazy god modding shit.

The whole purpose of role play in different games and settings is to utilize those settings to create a character that you either like a lot or which reflects you for whatever reasons you may have to do this. If this isn't harmful to people IG or OOG (like some people we know), then why should they be pushed out? What makes their style worth pushing out? I'm not saying I liked CG's shenanigans, but CG had a right to engage in it like anyone else.

I gotta admit, this is the big reason I don't want to take Anslo's bandages off. He has a backstory that I crafted to be scientifically accurate and something I was really interested in. To me, his backstory and character is very pliable, potentially easily influenced, and versatile because of this. But because of shit like what happened with CG, it makes me recoil from the possibility of ever having a reveal for Anslo.

Granted, I don't think CG left because of the regulars in the RP scene in Eve. If I recall, there was something else that someone else here can elaborate on. All I'll say is that in CG's case, they just fell in with the wrong, predatory crowd.

But aside from that, I feel like there is a limited vision on what people can do in RP in Eve. If it's justifiable, even if it irks, and a person isn't harming someone else in terms of harassment or god modding, why the hell should anyone try to push them out of the community? We need new blood gods dammit. I started out stupid derp/god moddy, but I learned because people were patient. Where the hell'd that patience go?

God dammit people.

/end_rant

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2013, 08:21 »

While I don't have any idea about the specific events and angles you are talking about, I think the answer for Eve (and pretty much any RP community) is a resounding yes. In almost any case people might want to consider being a little more open-minded. But whatthehell, I am a flamin' liberal.

However, you can also look at it in a different way - the HTFU way. Any wacky idea needs to run the gauntlet and survive it if it is to prosper. In Eve you have to walk the walk, just as you talk the talk, and it is also true in the RP community. The experience will make your idea that much sharper and make you better able to deal with its hecklers in the future. That is if you survive and avoid becoming an emotional wreck with your juices salvaged by the psychic vampires who permeate any RP community.

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2013, 08:22 »

I think the issue comes from the fact that if said RPer perceives people as not caring about what they are doing then they quite often try something more extravagant in order to garner attention.

In the case of your example with CG, he repeatedly breached the fourth wall and did not take criticism and suggestions well when they were offered, instead resorting to the aforementioned cycle in order to quench his need for interaction with people. Whilst it's true that the RP community is reluctant to accept things coming from player characters that push deep into that grey area that everyone interprets differently, the issue mainly stemmed from the sheer ignorance displayed by the individual in question.

As for why the greater community should care, I'd argue that it's in their interests to assist others in furthering projects, whether they affect them specifically or not. Does a lot for the health of the group.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2013, 08:23 »

Do you think that some of the veteran RPers are too harsh on people with new or different ideas? [No.] This is kinda stemming from the stuff happening with Cynthia. [What's happening with Cynthia?] I just feel that people will give it their all to push out a RPer that might stray from their norm of roleplay. [There is no norm in RP, and anyone can RP what they want. They can also accept the consequences of doing so, whatever that may be, good or ill.]

On that note, do people have to subscribe to a norm in roleplay? [Again, no.] Are different or new ideas not acceptable? [They are. Please do spice up my RP scene.] I just remember a time where things were different than they are now. I have been RPing for close to five years now so I do remember things "before." [EVE always change, so does RP and the RP scene, this is nothing new.]

Hope this random rambling makes sense.

Not to much. I would like context to what prompted this. Also, mind the replies in your quoted post.

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2013, 08:28 »

But aside from that, I feel like there is a limited vision on what people can do in RP in Eve. If it's justifiable, even if it irks, and a person isn't harming someone else in terms of harassment or god modding, why the hell should anyone try to push them out of the community?

Given psychology 101, I'd say because they are feeling threatened in their feeble pretense of status quo, so they have to stomp any source of creativity and individuality (and I'm not talking about Kala's definition of stupid, I agree with that) in order to upkeep it.
I agree with Lasa and Anslo. Chill out, ladies.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2013, 08:31 »

Okay, had to put my son down to sleep and now I can focus, lol.

Anslo said it much better and eloquently than I could at the time.

CG is an IC/OOC friend of Lasa's. Granted, I may have only heard one side of the story, but he felt pushed out for straying from the "norm." I don't think that's right.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2013, 08:33 »

CG is an IC/OOC friend of Lasa's. Granted, I may have only heard one side of the story, but he felt pushed out for straying from the "norm." I don't think that's right.

Still waiting on context here. What is the supposed 'norm' and what did CG do that he/she supposedly have to leave for?

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2013, 08:34 »

As the person who banned CG, the character was banned for IC actions in an IC channel.  I did not ban the player, or remove them from OOC.  The overly dramatic post here just confirms certain suspicions I had about the players motivations.

The specific reason was that they decided that it was a good idea to start threatening the family of another member of the Summit.  This was after they had received numerous warnings for their behavior.

As for the rest of this, our characters are under no obligation to accept other characters for who they are.  If a character constantly acts in a way that is considered irrational, or in ways that are stupid, or does anything else to alienate themselves from others, then those are the consequences of their actions.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Anslol

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2013, 08:35 »

Still waiting on context here. What is the supposed 'norm' and what did CG do that he/she supposedly have to leave for?

Zoological modifications (rabbit ears), hilarious explodey drama in their bar, the Bunny Lounge, some slave stuff, some nut jobs not liking said slave stuff, a pregnancy, and a quafe bottle with lips.

I couldn't make this up if I tried. CG was...definitely off the wall and did a few derpy things to try to get attention. But, overall, I didn't notice them breaking much PF or god modding.

Actually, looking back, why the hell did more people not laugh at this shit lol.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 08:37 by Anslol »

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2013, 08:41 »

As the person who banned CG, the character was banned for IC actions in an IC channel.  I did not ban the player, or remove them from OOC.

I thought banning someone from the Summit implied the same regarding OOC.
Send me a mail when you unban me from the OOC in that case. Much appreciated.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9