Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That light pits, used to hold ships in place, are filled with complex electronic equipment, have no safety boundaries, and are lit with a dim blue light when not in use? (The Burning Life p. 77)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Empyrean  (Read 3558 times)

Sunfang

• Clonejack
Empyrean
« on: 11 Aug 2014, 02:52 »

This thread is for the general discussion of Empyreans as a faction in New Eden

One of the things that got me interested in this game was the divide between capsuleers and other NPC factions. With CCP seemingly moving towards an Empires vs capsuleers mindset, I would like to hear what you think an Empyrean Empire would consist of and how it would operate and interact within Eve.   
: )( :

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger

Sunfang

• Clonejack
Re: Empyrean
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2014, 03:55 »

I tend to view corps/alliances/coalitions as sub factions within the greater capsuleer collective

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2014, 04:25 »

Well I guess as it seems to be the new axis intended by CCP, it might be good for new players willing to RP to follow it, or to include it into their RP.

I also guess it can bring interesting drama for older character that were meant to be intimately entrenched into the NPC universe (of which the lore consists at 99% and where all the interesting stuff happens) and that will soon see themselves on the "wrong side", or betrayed by their empires, or whatever.

But ultimately I wouldn't want to live there myself, since it would mean the death of the character. It's a dead end.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2014, 06:55 »

One of the things that irks me about the "Empyrean empire" dynamic is it seems to presume the Big 4 and CONCORD won't lift a finger to actually restrict our actions. Their current actions make me think of an immigration authority who issue very strongly-worded demands that people not break the law, but refuse to actually exercise any authority to regulate who and what crosses the border.

Onto other matters regarding a capsuleer faction: One of the biggest questions we have so far is how large a population resides on nullsec planets. We know certain regions (Stain, Curse, etc) have planetside populations related to NPC factions, but it's unclear how much they interact with capsuleers besides dealing with our PI installations when we drop them. In other nullsec regions, our only evidence is that some planets have lights on them - and considering that's a generic planet skin, I hesitate to declare it solid canon evidence of anything.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ibrahim Tash-Murkon

• Wetgraver
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2014, 08:30 »

I don't think that CONCORD has the ability to project power in any meaningful way outside of Empire space. It's been discussed in the Eve Fiction forum that CONCORD is actually incredibly understaffed and underequipped but has been able to maintain the illusion of omnipotence and omnipresence by means of rapid deployment (thanks to Jovian technology) whenever an offense is committed in highsec. If it is true that there are actually relatively few CONCORD vessels then a deployment to bring nullsec alliances into line would be at best inadvisable if not wholly impossible. Likewise, the empire factions might be too focused on maintaining the tenuous peace among themselves to risk starting a front against Capsuleers only to open themselves up to an attack from one of the other empires.
“If your hands aren’t bleeding, you aren’t working hard enough.”

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2014, 08:52 »

Switch of PLEXes, capsules and cloning facilities and you are done. No more capsuleers.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2014, 08:56 »

Switch of PLEXes, capsules and cloning facilities and you are done. No more capsuleers.

^^^

The PF does not currently account for any true capsuleer autonomy outside of 90% of them being murdered semi-instantly by CONCORD/Empires.  The pirate faction capsuleers might survive a bit longer

PF can always change though :P
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2014, 09:08 by Silas Vitalia »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2014, 09:53 »

I would love to see "Empyreans" as a proper faction.....

in fact one could set Empyrean vs NPC standings so interestings mechanics/storyline could be created out of such interaction.

Ibrahim Tash-Murkon

• Wetgraver
« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2014, 10:00 »

CONCORD shutdowns Capsuleer infrastructure. Empires start new faction Capsuleer infrastructure to gain advantage/balance against other empires. Capsuleers endure and now CONCORD has lost even its loose control of their activities.

CONCORD can regulate Empyreans a little or not at all. They chose a little.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2014, 10:19 »

Empires already have faction capsuleers.

But your point is interesting.

Sunfang

• Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2014, 10:26 »

PF wise, Titans and Rorquals  have cloning facilities. And even if CONCORD/empires could find a way to kill us all, would they be that stupid? Capsuleers are the only thing standing between them and Sansha's Nation.   

Ibrahim Tash-Murkon

• Wetgraver
« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2014, 11:24 »

Empires already have faction capsuleers.

But your point is interesting.

I mean that they would run Capsuleer infrastructure independent of CONCORD. Now, one way it could go and make you effectively right would be that the empires would limit all activity to only their navy Capsuleers. I wonder if freelance Capsuleers are of sufficient benefit to each Empire that they would keep them around even knowing that independent Capsuleers have a tendency to pursue their own interests even if it is detrimental to the faction with which they might otherwise be affiliated.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2014, 12:04 »

CONCORD just "turning off" all capsuleers would not be the most productive response at all, as it would drive capsuleers towards working with the pirate factions.

A far more realistic response would be to play the capsuleers against each other - to use some names from CCP's trailers, CONCORD would go something like "hey, Blackhawk alliance, you really don't like those Drekar alliance guys, right? Well, they did something we really don't like; for the next 72 hours they aren't going to be able to target anything. Here's the locations of twenty of their titan pilots and the passwords to the starbases they are parked in. Have fun!"

Assuming CONCORD did opt to engage in a direct confrontation with, I think people tend to underestimate how much control CONCORD and the Big 4 empires have over what the average capsuleer can do. They are capable of limiting what our sensors see, when and what we can target, even when and where we can jump. If CONCORD wants to lock you down as a capsuleer, they are entirely capable of doing so.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Sunfang

• Clonejack
« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2014, 13:27 »

A far more realistic response would be to play the capsuleers against each other - to use some names from CCP's trailers, CONCORD would go something like "hey, Blackhawk alliance, you really don't like those Drekar alliance guys, right? Well, they did something we really don't like; for the next 72 hours they aren't going to be able to target anything. Here's the locations of twenty of their titan pilots and the passwords to the starbases they are parked in. Have fun!"
Lol. The rage coming from not only the affected alliance, but also the entire player base if CCP blatantly cheated like that would dwarf th t20 scandal :lol:

Assuming CONCORD did opt to engage in a direct confrontation with, I think people tend to underestimate how much control CONCORD and the Big 4 empires have over what the average capsuleer can do. They are capable of limiting what our sensors see, when and what we can target, even when and where we can jump. If CONCORD wants to lock you down as a capsuleer, they are entirely capable of doing so.
Capsuleers are just as capable of locking down ships using electronic warfare as well
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2014, 13:28 by Sunfang »
Pages: [1] 2