Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Eleutherian Guard, a capsuleer organisation, is a semi-independent paramilitary unit that answers to the Federal Security Council?

Author Topic: Civil conflicts and peacekeeping (eg. Jin-Mei civil war and Amarr minor houses)  (Read 2032 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

After watching Black Hawk Down, I got another injection of fuel to inspire me to explore Seriphyn's backstory regarding his time as a peacekeeper with the Federation Army and Marines on Lirsautton III during the Jin-Mei civil war...in turn it got me thinking the sort of scope there is in EVE for "urban combat" and "pacification of smaller subjects" sort of conflicts...

Gallente - Presumably, conflicts between colonies and smaller states is permitted to happen on the grounds of avoiding being culturally invasive...going from the civil war Jin-Mei piece of PF. I imagine the conflict to be similar to that in Somalia, with Sang Do overlords controlling areas of territory, and Federation military forces carefully leveraging control of others, without being too forceful, though perhaps using the help of a friendly Sang Do in order to justify any sort of invasion. Of course the civil war is over now presumably but the scope is there...

Amarr

Quote from: Araz description
The Araz constellation typifies the feudal system found throughout the Amarr Empire. Wherever widely different ambitions and talents meet a power surge is inevitable. Uriam Kador, one of the five royal heirs, is the liege lord of Araz and he likes to employ the 'divide-and-conquer' approach in his governing; allowing his feudal lords to duke it out between themselves, making it unlikely they will join forces against him and also giving him a clear idea of their strengths and weaknesses. The two most ambitious and powerful noble families in the constellation are the Arachnan family and the Methros family. The two families have been rivals for decades, but now their rivalry is on the verge of escalating to a full fledged war between them. Kador is closely monitoring the situation, not the least because of the sudden appearance of a sizeable force of Blood Raiders that seem intent on taking over the constellation.

One of my more favourite pieces of Amarr PF...and also a very good framework to get into the whole Black Hawk Down and peacekeeping sorta fiction...minor houses could fight amongst each other, and, if necessary, the larger house might just deploy a pacification force to keep things together...it also makes me wonder what exactly the sort of "grunt/infantry culture" of the Amarr militaries might be...we see a lot of insight into American soldier culture...

Caldari & Minmatar - The two factions I think have the least scope. I'm sure someone could provide an example for Minmatar, but even if the concept sounds cool, doesn't necessarily mean every faction has it...

An interesting point to discuss is the level of conflict between Caldari megas. Is it the sort of subterfuge between Lai Dai and SuVee as we saw earlier during their occupation of Gallente space? Or would we actually see "boots on the ground", violently taking an opposing city by force? I am somewhat getting the impression the Caldari may be the most space-based out of the four main empires so that might be unlikely. In addition, there is unlikely to be any sort of 'peacekeeping' as there is no higher authority.

Stain occupation - Something I think is really cool from the Ishaeka documents...a joint CONCORD endeavour that can be contrasted with RL UN operations...this has the greatest scope for "active, conventional ground warfare", as can be found in the description of ZH-KEV IX in Ishaeka report. Very cool stuff, I wonder what happened to those occupation forces now? (Also, reference to 'largest ground offensive' omnomnom...less blitzkreig land wars -.-)
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2010, 18:06 by Seriphyn »

Boma Airaken

• Egger

I like this line of thinking. Alot.

The problem with the Araz thing as far as the Amarr thing goes is that its all feudal because some of the local holders are in collusion with the blooders as opposed to being bummed that they have a strong presence there.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Excellent Post.

I wish CCP would give us more PF along these lines.

Regarding the Amarr, that is an excellent quote.  The "Empire" as it were is really more a collection of rival feudal holdings than some over-arching unified block.... and I really wish we got to see more of this from the PF.  It wouldn't take much, just a few more frequent stories from the news team regarding each empire, some fun little tidbits here and there showing the -wide- range of internal conflicts going on in the 4 empires. Would really enrich things for us all.

We were actually working on a set of fiction regarding surface pacification of outer colonies in the Kingdom, we really should pick that up again...

Great post!

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

Some parts like this have been mentioned - for example, it has been rather clear that the Emperor's (Empress's) will is supreme, but usually requires that s/he is present. Similarly for the Heirs (http://www.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=27-10-08). The actual effects of this depend on the exact distance from the closest capital, loyalty of the Holders and governors, the exact Heir who's domain it is etc.

Araz, as a Kador fief, likely has a lot of internal unrest, amplified by the presence of the Blood Raiders. I'd assume that Kador would be the model "Imperial Court machinations" faction within the Amarr. Kor-Azor would be another (Holder Wars, anyone?), with their huge amount of enemies and diplomatic allies factored in. Bleak Lands and other frontier regions might see relatively independent planetary and system governments due to their proximity of the central government, though Bleak Lands and Devoid do currently have naturally a good presence of the Imperial Navy, which enforces the central government (i.e. the Heir who controls the fleet - though very likely, it's directly under Jamyl's control now). There were hints of the "Saracens" possibly wanting to plant the Tash-Murkon banner to the Bleaks.

Strong Heirs (reformed Aritcio, the current Ardishapur, Tash-Murkons) are going to have good control over their domain - in addition, the Ardishapur have both easier time to keep order (highly religious populace, stable food production) as well as harder time (religious extremists). Weak Heirs (current Kador, possibly Merimeth unless heavily backed by Jamyl) will have harder time. Specially Uriam, since he lost his fleet and thus is "one of the Holders" compared to the Heirs still having their fleets. (Yonis having likely both house forces and the Ammatar Navy, Tash-Murkons have enough money to buy a mercenary navy if they don't have one, Sarum having police forces and being backed by the Imperial Navy.)