Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The CBD megacorporation is a major importer/exporter in the State?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: RP Societies  (Read 5583 times)

Kaleigh Doyle

Re: RP Societies
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2011, 08:15 »

>.>

Tamur

• Clonejack
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2011, 08:58 »

Quote from: Kaleigh Doyle
response
I was merely making a dirt storm forecast, not objecting to the OP.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2011, 10:25 »

And I gave a thoughtful reply?  :eek:

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jun 2011, 11:12 »

Disregard, I am a herp derp derp.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2011, 11:14 by Z.Sinraali »
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jun 2011, 17:35 »

So... here's my question: A while ago I brought up the idea of a rumor/gossip wiki, which eventually resulted in the "Rumor! Gossip! Tabloids!" thread in the EVE fiction section of the forum (a thread which I have, much to my annoyance, never made use of in large part due to my laziness keeping me from running another story arc).

Point is, one of the reasons I originally brought it up is it was meant to be a way that people could get hints and tips about what others were doing, letting them have a way to get into a story arc they might be interested in without godmodding or only playing among their "close friends". This related to what you're talking about at all, Kaleigh?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Tamur

• Clonejack
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2011, 19:56 »

And I gave a thoughtful reply?  :eek:
It was thoughtful and easy to agree with.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2011, 20:57 »

So... here's my question: A while ago I brought up the idea of a rumor/gossip wiki, which eventually resulted in the "Rumor! Gossip! Tabloids!" thread in the EVE fiction section of the forum (a thread which I have, much to my annoyance, never made use of in large part due to my laziness keeping me from running another story arc).

Point is, one of the reasons I originally brought it up is it was meant to be a way that people could get hints and tips about what others were doing, letting them have a way to get into a story arc they might be interested in without godmodding or only playing among their "close friends". This related to what you're talking about at all, Kaleigh?

Sorta. Off the top of my head I can think of all kinds of ways that people can get involved without having to be in the same corporation or faction. The idea is networking, and finding people that share your roleplay interests. My suggestion is making groups that take a more pro-active interest in seeing something productive coming out of this than simply tossing a stone into the pond and hoping someone bites. But first it takes some acknowledgement that people can roleplay differently, and style does have an impact on who we interact with.

I respect that people want to do it traditionally, either in space or in a channel, but as someone who's been in this game now for too long, "bar rp" can't be the pinnacle to which a random gaggle of roleplayers can interact. If people want an engaging story, why can't they take a more pro-active step to make it happen?

Also, Z. ... KALI MAAA

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #22 on: 17 Jun 2011, 21:23 »

You betrayed Shiva!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:53 »

[...] "bar rp" can't be the pinnacle to which a random gaggle of roleplayers can interact.

Absolutely. Bar RP is the fast food or singles bar of RP (pick your metaphor).

Sinjin Mokk

• Egger
  • One Kingdom, One King!
    • Dark Amarr
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2011, 00:01 »

Well first off, a great way to get people together is an external threat. I remember Sinjin teaming up with Soter and a few others to go scout a WH at the beginning of the Incursion plot (and Sinjin caught hell for "associating with known enemies"). Just because the Incursion plot has worn a little thin (:bash: :psyccp:) dosen't mean everyone's forgotten them.

Taking things a step further, I was reminded of another great SF P&P RPG. namely, PARANOIA!. In that game all the characters were part of one of several different Secret Societies.

Secret Societies in EVE would be a way to get different people together. Tamur's science collective is one idea. Some scientists might be loyal to their governments (and grant money) but might check in from time to time with scientists from "the other side."

An Anti-Sansha group might be another (sorry Ghost!).

Another one might be an anti-slavery league. a character who is loyal to the Amarr or another slaver group might join one of these to avoid the notice of hardliners.

The Sani Sabik and EOM I think would be great for sponsoring their own hidden followers.

A not-so-secret society was the New Eden Assembly. I don't think a lot of us got too into the overt diplomacy. but an underground NEA (Eve Illuminati) might be fun to build up.

I've had Sinjin tied to some vague prophecies and I've recently found a few other characters on a similar path. They might not want to work openly to explore the prophecies of EVE but behind closed doors...

Those that have a few alt slots open might start a "comic relief" secret society like Luddites. Hell, pretty much all of the secret socities of PARANOIA could fit into EVE in some way or another.

The Disciples of Ston seem like a fun bunch. What if...well, you get the idea.

Mankind has always had secret societies of some sort or another. Why not make a few for EVE?

fnord

Tamur

• Clonejack
« Reply #25 on: 20 Jun 2011, 12:33 »

Good post, Sinjin. There's always room for secret societies and who doesn't have a hidden agenda?

I think the science collective is Casiella's idea. I agree that for example something like Orion, Manhattan or even Human Genome project might be interesting to role-play in a sci-fi setting, but I'm not so sure if Tamur would be the right character to get involved.

He used to be the director of science and mathematics in GIPA; but his plan was mainly to use the position to promote the Scriptures and Scripture-based science. There were a couple of articles in preparation, but then the war against SF began and he got his opportunity to rise to power before he managed to get anything done.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #26 on: 20 Jun 2011, 17:11 »

I'm currently travelling IRL but we plan to soft-launch the science colloquium thing next week.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2011, 01:30 »

The SoCT/Kitzless project I'm working on would be perfect for both scientific endeavours and secret illuminati business - a rather open agenda to study capsuleers, education, science, truth and humanity.

It can also accommodate several tiers of conspiracy and subtle side-projects.  8)

I just need some collaborators to help me get it off the ground, and to find a direction.

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jun 2011, 15:52 »

I think it is a great idea Kaleigh.  If I can help out in any way game mail me, I'm always up for RP.

Kemekk

• Amarrian Ultranationalist
  • Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2011, 21:07 »

I've done something like these "RP troupes" in other games before and I think they're a great idea for EVE. I'd be willing to join one or maybe even a few. I've yet to find any good meaningful RP in EVE, I've mostly just been RPing in the Summit channel. :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3