Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Titan Doomsday Devices were originally massive, field clearing nukes instead of doomsday rays?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: CCP Torfi avatars/w-space discussion video, important stuffs  (Read 4341 times)

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger

I wasn't directing that at you, just venting for the hell of it.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran

Meh, from my works it should be quite clear that I am majorly into exploration. But sacrificing social gameplay in WiS for this is not a trade I am interested in. I still rather want to create something in WiS with the mark of me just as I can do it in FiS. :|

I think that developing the "Away Team" game, allows them to put a bit of game play behind the development of the social aspect.  The ability to have 12, 24, etc characters in a single environment.   When the other stakeholders (the CSM, player blocs, etc) see this game development, CCP can say it is to add this game mechanic, not just to build WiS.

Serendipitous Echo

"It's not on the internet yet." No, but it's in Templar One, Torfi. The whole "j-locus" thing was explained as the nearest recognizable landmarks that can be seen from both New Eden and W-space.  :bear: So, nothing was really "answered", just putting the whole w-space concept into a frame of reference for the prototype demonstration.

BTW, one big question raised here: did anyone at CCP even read Templar One before it was released? Because yeah, he explained all this in the novel.  :s

Recognize anything in this link?

On the bright side: FREAKIN' JOVE AVATARS, B****ES! At 15:10. He was also talking about a "whole region not opened up yet", and a whole fleet of ships not seen yet.

:cube:

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain

"It's not on the internet yet." No, but it's in Templar One, Torfi. The whole "j-locus" thing was explained as the nearest recognizable landmarks that can be seen from both New Eden and W-space.  :bear: So, nothing was really "answered", just putting the whole w-space concept into a frame of reference for the prototype demonstration.

BTW, one big question raised here: did anyone at CCP even read Templar One before it was released? Because yeah, he explained all this in the novel.  :s

Recognize anything in this link?

On the bright side: FREAKIN' JOVE AVATARS, B****ES! At 15:10. He was also talking about a "whole region not opened up yet", and a whole fleet of ships not seen yet.

:cube:

None of this was explained in the novel, which is why arek jaalan researchers have been doing large amounts of geometry to quadralateralize the location of specifics of Wspace systems, even after the novel was released.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain

None of this was explained in the novel, which is why arek jaalan researchers have been doing large amounts of geometry to quadralateralize the location of specifics of Wspace systems, even after the novel was released.
If it is, I must have missed that chapter too.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Serendipitous Echo

It's in amongst the Jove/Enheduanni BS explanations.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain

It's in amongst the Jove/Enheduanni BS explanations.

There is some mention of a 'dyson sphere' and leaving new eden to escape the Jovians, but that's all.

Serendipitous Echo

There is some mention of a 'dyson sphere' and leaving new eden to escape the Jovians, but that's all.
Correction (and apologies for vagueness; was up all night with my kids who were refusing to sleep, after 3 days of insomnia; all work and no sleep make Homer something something...  :P), it was where the Amarr scientist enters the Sleeper structures. At the very beginning of that chapter. Give me a few hours to wake up and I can find the exact page if necessary.  :)

Torfi doesn't explain much more than is in there; that the locus IDs correspond to quasars, and what Quasars are (and sort of why they're important). What he doesn't mention, and what is only in Templar One, is that they're the nearest common identifying navigation markers to both New Eden and W-space. He hints at this, but yeah, I think he was just setting the stage for what was coming with exploration (and showing how big--how really, amazingly big that you have no idea--the universe is).

Meaning W-space is really, really far away.

There's some other hints in the presentation that might be missed, and I might honestly be imagining them, but that's the general importance of the locus ID info. It's not a big reveal, just setting the stage.

Oh, and I want to leave my ship and go all Indiana Jones on some Sleeper drones!

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain

I want to believe that with sufficient research of astronomy, one would be able to somehow connect the quasar locus system by seeing a. which if any w-space objects are visible from k-space, b. viceversa and c. comparing them to known locations of said listed quasars...

Alas, the far more likely chance is that these names were pulled from some astronomical text dump, and chosen at random.

hellgremlin

• Pod Captain

Huh... something occurs.

Someone in this thread mentioned system j135723... which led me to a weird text dump from the NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database, here: http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/

Digging a bit deeper I arrived at a text dump of galactic locations... here: http://nedbatch.ipac.caltech.edu/ouput_spring.dat2

Digging further still, I was curious about the "Type" column in the text dump. The explanation of each type of object follows: http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/help/faq5.html#5k

Referencing back to the text dump, we are given the right ascension and declination of the object, in this case a G-for-galaxy. So... if we know the direction this galaxy lies in, as observed from Earth, via the r.asc/dec... and we know the direction where the Milky Way (specifically Canopus) lies in relation to New Eden (remember the mysterious star that appeared for a while?)

Huh... more thinking required.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger

and we know the direction where the Milky Way (specifically Canopus) lies in relation to New Eden (remember the mysterious star that appeared for a while?)

I am almost certain that the star was actually some sort of bug and the stories about it were merely something AURORA/Mercury (can't remember which was around when that happened) made up.

hellgremlin

• Pod Captain

Ah. Thanks. You just saved my brain a few calories.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain

Apparently I cannot stop doing this...

So I guess Torfi revealed what the locus signatures actually refer to, or, more correct, is inspired by. After reading this Wikipedia article on Right Ascension and using this tool, it occurs to me that it is a co-ordinate designator. Sadly, only half of it as we are missing the Declination factor.

What it seems to indicate, though, is that wormhole systems lore wise are widely spread out if you could see them from Earth on the night sky, which means they are vast apart from each other, and certainly not clustered up in bundles as the game mechanics would suggest.

Of course, I would have serious issues figuring this out IC. :|
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com
Pages: 1 [2]