Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that a theremax is a musical instrument constructed of a thin, black piece of rubbery material with embedded oscillators that is played by moving one's hands in the electric field it generates? (p. 100)

Author Topic: Talk about overkill?  (Read 1621 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Talk about overkill?
« on: 04 Mar 2013, 11:59 »

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/03/04/173426457/reports-snipers-deployed-to-kill-tehrans-cat-sized-rats

Links to some other articles covering that are in the article, but still, lolwut.

It's like using a cannon to hunt deer.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Talk about overkill?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Mar 2013, 12:04 »

What are they supposed to use? I don't think a mousetrap would do real well versus a cat-sized horror.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 04 Mar 2013, 12:07 »

It's Iran, so maybe it'd be a better target for their nuclear program? I mean, we all know nuking it from orbit is the only way to be sure. :P

In all seriousness, I don't disagree that guns might be necessary here - I just giggle at the idea of using snipers instead of just going full Rambo with AK-47s, which seems like it might be faster.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #3 on: 04 Mar 2013, 13:18 »

I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #4 on: 04 Mar 2013, 14:26 »

Honestly not as strange as it may seem. I rememeber when I was very young, my parents were traveling performers and one of the stages they performed on was an outdoor stage at a theme park.  Well.. lots of dropped food and what not and you can imagine the results - supersize rodents of unusual size!  The ROUS ended up having to be smoked out and the local county sheriff had sharpshooters, just like in the article, gunning them down as they came scurrying out.  They were the size of small dogs! I cringe to this day remembering it. *shudders*

Desiderya

« Reply #5 on: 04 Mar 2013, 21:40 »

He's hunting waterbirds. (Seriously)

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 04 Mar 2013, 21:52 »

They should send a party of adventurers down into the sewers, to seek out the source of the infestation and destroy it. Extensive tabletop simulations have proven this to be an effective strategy in similar scenarios.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #7 on: 05 Mar 2013, 02:41 »

I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.

<3

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 05 Mar 2013, 14:32 »

Well done sir.  Well done indeed.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 08 Mar 2013, 03:25 »

Around here there (well, in another city) there was one parking garage that had a lot of birds. They were shot with air rifles, though there was considerable discussion on if this was legal. (According to local law, you cannot hunt with an air rifle, no matter how powerful - powerful enough bow & arrow or firearms are the only legal options - with a high preference of long arms as a hunting weapon, of course.)

And then there was this problem with a closed dump. Once the rats there had eaten most of the food, and the dump started to cool down (as there was little fermenting material to keep it warm), the rats started to move. Cue thousands of rats running around the town. One of the first reports of rats was from a local fire department accidentally killing tens of them by driving over a swarm crossing a road with their truck. Memory would seem to serve that locals were killing the rats by driving over them with cars as well as using shotguns and rifles. (Rural Finland means the locals are relatively well armed.) Afterwards the local waste management & fire departments were sent to collect the dead carcasses.