Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Gallente Federation loyalist and [EL-G] CEO Seriphyn Inhonores is originally from Caldari Prime?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: SWTOR: Will/how will you play?  (Read 17653 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: SWTOR: Will/how will you play?
« Reply #45 on: 18 Oct 2011, 00:59 »

On the subject of Sith vs Jedi I couldn't really disagree more with Bloodbird.

Sure, the 'Sith kiddies' will be there, just like every MMO is plagued with the wannabe-badasses. This doesn't detract from the fact that the Sith in the TOR setting allows for both the simplistic 'power for the sake of power' character and the far more complex depth of those that seek freedom from the repression of the Jedi and so on. I'm reading some of the Old Republic books at the moment and I am fairly impressed with the Sith there. Yes, they're the bad guys and there's little to hide that... however, I don't think I've ever seen a capsuleer in Eve that's less of an asshole than them. The Sith Darth Malgur who practically burns with the desire to see Coruscant eradicated by the Empire forces, instilling fear and injury on innocent civilians outside a hospital and so on... feeling love and gentleness for the Twi'lek woman who loves him fiercely right back, protecting her from the racism of the Empire/Sith's culture and allowing her to be his weakness simply because he loves her.

The Sith apprentice Ax Eldon who is a fierce Empire loyalist, filled with utter rage in combat and entirely without qualms accepts that her job is to kill her mother. Does she find some kind of 'redemption'? Well... hard to say, but damn me if that wasn't an interesting character with very subtle depth and complexity, especially when forced to work together with a Jedi Grand Master.

There'll always be differing opinions on factions and so on. Personally I can't really stand the bland, repressive and manipulative Jedi/Republic side with it's corrupt leadership and utter lack of decisiveness or order. The arrogance implicit in saying "We're RIGHT and JUST and that means we can invade a planet by force, disrupting trade, law and order simply because it's an Empire planet. We will also be VERY surprised when the populace resents us for it, as they didn't really suffer under Empire rule at all. Derp.". The ideological superiority coupled with the utter shitcake they make of it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

However, I fully recognize the potential that faction has for RP and how it can allow for extreme depth, complexity and fun within itself. I won't blame any player going Republic/Jedi as it has great potential. Just not for me, in the same way that I can't really play Amarr as it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd appreciate it if my own preference for character background, motivation and archetype fitting so much better in the Empire/Sith side of things wasn't automatically thrown out as 'Sith kiddie' bullshit. Us two both being in Norway should allow timezone wise for us to meet should we end up on the same server. I truly hope we end up facing each other, because anyone who just dismisses the enemy as a 'Sith Kiddie' isn't going to be much of a match.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #46 on: 18 Oct 2011, 09:01 »

I'm reading some of the Old Republic books at the moment and I am fairly impressed with the Sith there. Yes, they're the bad guys and there's little to hide that...

Exar Kun = WIN! My favourite Sith by far, followed by a tie between Vergere and Darth Maul. There is a novel that was written specifically detailing Darth Maul's rise as a Sith that gives him so much justice that episode 1 left out.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #47 on: 18 Oct 2011, 10:47 »

Yeah, some of the extended universe (books and some of the games) blow the movies away with ease. It's like the authors looked at the Star Wars movies and went "... yeah, that's shit. Let's see if we can't get some real awesome up in this setting.". All it does is show how utter crap George Lucas is, really. He can't write himself out of a paper bag.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #48 on: 18 Oct 2011, 11:25 »

Apparently I got some disturbing news confirmed by several of my accointances playing the beta, and it would seem that both factions can not see each other on most of the planets, as if they were in an instance for each faction. It is the case for PVE servers, but also for PVP servers in their current state on the beta, and nothing indicates that it will change.

It would seem that factions would be able to see each other only on pvp dedicated planets (4 of them) : Alderaan (full pvp), Tatooine/Hoth (warzones), and Illum (RvR). Unsure how it will be for pve servers on these planets though.

I am looking to know how you can cancel a pre order... Thats fucking opaque.

Grim news indeed, if true. I'm assuming here that these beta testers don't care to recieve the penalties for breaking their 'don't fucking talk to people about the game's gameplay or anything' part of thier beta-testing clause. As far as I'm aware none of the beta testers are allowed to speak about any of the game's features or anything. Are you sure your sources are accurate?

How would bioware know ? You just have to read websites like betacake to see the amount of info you can get out of anonymous beta testers.

I was not sure of my first source. It is someone I barely know (just because he is a roleplayer), but I do not really see why he would tell me bullshit. On another hand, I waited to have other confirmations before posting this here. Someone I trust a lot more confirmed me this. I will try to get other confirmations if I can though.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #49 on: 18 Oct 2011, 11:43 »

Another reason why I wont touch this game is the writers for the game have crush alot of SW PF, and its bugging the shit out of me right now.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #50 on: 18 Oct 2011, 12:42 »

Another reason why I wont touch this game is the writers for the game have crush alot of SW PF, and its bugging the shit out of me right now.

Thats the case since Lucas made his prelogy, and worse, clonewars 3D (that crushed half of the Canon mandalorian culture in the process).

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #51 on: 18 Oct 2011, 13:02 »

Thats the case since Lucas made his prelogy, and worse, clonewars 3D (that crushed half of the Canon mandalorian culture in the process).

OMG don't get me started on the mando's. They destroyed the awesome work of Karen Traviss. There is no reason for all that retconning in the clone wars and they did it again for this mmo.

Out of respect here she is, awesome sci fi novelist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Traviss
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2011, 13:04 by Invelious »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #52 on: 18 Oct 2011, 14:56 »

Well, I was definitly not a big fan of her SW novels that I found quite dull to be frank (and have not read anything else from her), but the work on the Canon she did was indeed very nice.

Helen Ohmiras

« Reply #53 on: 18 Oct 2011, 18:51 »

OMG don't get me started on the mando's. They destroyed the awesome work of Karen Traviss. There is no reason for all that retconning in the clone wars and they did it again for this mmo.
To be fair, The Clone Wars has trampled on a lot of established canon.  For that reason I pretty much see it as non-canon, regardless of what George "Aside-from-the-movies-nothing-is-canon-and-the-Star-Wars-story-ends-at-Episode-6" Lucas says.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #54 on: 19 Oct 2011, 07:35 »

Personally I am going with its a fictional account made by the Republic propaganda machine to inspire its citizens to bear with the shortages made by the war. 

And on the original topic, I might play it as KOTOR was pretty good, and despite this being an MMO, it seems like its going to be a giant play with friends version of KOTOR.  Though all depends on my twin daemons, time and money.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #55 on: 19 Oct 2011, 10:42 »

I guess this is going to have to be one of those "agree to disagree" things, since I was almost happy to see much of Traviss' work retconned out... ironically, many of my issues with her are the exact same issues you have with the newer series (maybe it's just a bad case of :bittervet: from existing in the Star Wars Expanded Universe for to long, but I no longer get that angry when each new series comes with an associated round of retcons).
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #56 on: 20 Oct 2011, 14:41 »

Trololol I have been trying to contact EA Origin customer support and have been unvariably getting 404 errors. Thought it was tied to the page default language, and tried to change it, but apparently it keeps directing me to the EA main website instead.

I am struggling with the SWTOR customer support to cancel my pre order but they keep telling me its up to EA customer support.

Splendid. I wonder if I should contact my bank and put Origin on blacklist eventually before they get my money...

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #57 on: 20 Oct 2011, 23:26 »

Bah.  The more I read about this the less good it seems like it's going to be.  If the "pre-order now!" email had landed in my inbox 6 weeks ago instead of just now, I probably would have done it.  Now I'm wondering if I'll even pick it up at all.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #58 on: 21 Oct 2011, 01:36 »

The more I read, the more interested I get. It sounds like Bioware is actually pulling off the actual RP aspect in SWTOR, allowing for actual decisionmaking and individual paths rather than the usual "There's just -one- conceivable way to do this. Do it like that. Hell, we'll even RP your character's reaction for you as well." in any other MMO. (Including Eve).

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #59 on: 21 Oct 2011, 19:56 »

Problem is, decisions in a group (you know, the RP part) is randomly assigned to a member of the party each time.

And Light/Dark side decisions are everywhere, even though only one of those decisions will benefit your progression (Repub/light, Sith/Dark).

So, either everyone will pick the same option, or one guy will make the 'wrong' decision and fuck everyone up.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10