Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small robots called "cleaner bugs" are used to keep space station areas free of refuse? (The Burning Life p. 74)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Imperial Inquisition  (Read 3726 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Imperial Inquisition
« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2011, 15:15 »

Given that their "target" in the Summit played along with the game (even if they weren't legit actors), it seems more like something planned rather than "troleplay".

As I'm their "target" apparently, I have absolutely no idea who they are and no idea what is going to come of the whole situation. I'm only playing along because I see the chance for some interesting RP and I have difficulty dismissing them candidly simply because ~I~ think they have no right to be doing what they're doing.

As it stands, I figure I'll just let it play out and make the most of the situation. Even negative aspects in RP are RP nonetheless and perhaps something good and exciting can come from this.

I reiterate though: I have no idea who they are and this is not anything I planned, at all. I was pretty taken by surprise and still am skeptical regarding the whole situation.

I prefer that TBH. RPing along is more fun EXCEPT if they are trying to grief you.

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2011, 17:01 »

I prefer that TBH. RPing along is more fun EXCEPT if they are trying to grief you.

Dunno, depends on how strict or wide you define "grief". I'd go for "RPing along is more fun EXCEPT if it isn't fun," which is kinda tautological.

People who want to RP officials of the different nations and do not happen to have "CCP" as their first name should talk with whoever they intend to interact with OOCly first to see if that works for them, or they risk not being taken seriously.

Victoria Valadeus

« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2011, 18:06 »

Given that their "target" in the Summit played along with the game (even if they weren't legit actors), it seems more like something planned rather than "troleplay".

As I'm their "target" apparently, I have absolutely no idea who they are and no idea what is going to come of the whole situation. I'm only playing along because I see the chance for some interesting RP and I have difficulty dismissing them candidly simply because ~I~ think they have no right to be doing what they're doing.

As it stands, I figure I'll just let it play out and make the most of the situation. Even negative aspects in RP are RP nonetheless and perhaps something good and exciting can come from this.

I reiterate though: I have no idea who they are and this is not anything I planned, at all. I was pretty taken by surprise and still am skeptical regarding the whole situation.

My biggest reason for playing along is that it doesn't feel like this player has an OOC agenda against us. The two characters I've seen so far--particularly the Junior Inquisitor that I've interacted with most--seem like well thought out, three-dimensional characters. My impression of this investigation is an actual arc in the mind of the player, intended to write and be a part of a story. For this reason I can go along with it, even if its pretty obviously just a player trying to puppeteer what are effectively NPCs.

I think though that if I started to feel that this was OOCly motivated or was intended to garner a very specific result for the Valadeus or Farel Houses, I would be far less inclined to willingly participate.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2011, 22:33 »

Inquisitors exist in the Empire. They do not have the freedom of operation that they used to after two liberal Emperors, but the Theology Council still has their agents wandering around. One would hope they would not operate as openly as this, however.

Maybe I should confront them on behalf of certain others?  8)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:19 »

I think though that if I started to feel that this was OOCly motivated or was intended to garner a very specific result for the Valadeus or Farel Houses, I would be far less inclined to willingly participate.

Lyn has not been contacted by them (yet?).

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2011, 06:01 »

I'm not sure what to think currently, honesty.

First is the "inquisitors" who focused in on Raze and have been "investigating" him and his family and now someone created a character named "Raze's frown" and spent the evening mocking my emotes in Summit. I have no idea who this person is either.

Nakal Ashera

• Clonejack
« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2011, 06:23 »

Eesh. :s To me, the whole "Raze's frown" thing was kinda borderline RP trolling. Not to say the Summit is hyper serious in the first place, but it really kinda made a mockery of what seemed to be a pretty serious situation IC.

I mean, it was pretty funny, I guess, but if it happens again, I could see it gettin' old real fast.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2011, 06:49 »

There has been similar RP troll chars since day one.

Grae had a few memorable ones :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 15 Aug 2011, 08:24 »

Actually had a run in with the inquisitors, didn't have time to do my heretic duty and troll them properly thanks to a sani sabik cultist walking in. They seemed interesting enough, not terribly one-dimensional. Could be fun to play with, I hope they show up again when Vicky's around.

Raze's frown got a few good laughs, but that kind of gag gets old in a hurry.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2011, 09:21 »

We will see how it turns. Troll characters for lols and troll characters created specifically to harass players with much meaner manners and with a hidden agenda ("I play RP to win") behind are 2 very different things.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #25 on: 15 Aug 2011, 10:03 »

To be fair, I have enjoyed my interactions with the inquisitors so far. They have been somewhat tense (expectantly) but very three-dimensional and enjoyable for the most part. I have nothing really negative to say about them.

The "frown" was unexpected and I admit it was funny, but it is still a bit unnerving to have someone mock your character's appearance and name and troll your RP without any indication of their intention.

I do my best to take everything in stride, be a good sport about it and play along. There comes a point where it gets a bit difficult to keep things in good humor when it looks like you're simply being mocked and trolled for entertainment at your expense or worse, veiled harassment.

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #26 on: 15 Aug 2011, 10:25 »

The "frown" was unexpected and I admit it was funny, but it is still a bit unnerving to have someone mock your character's appearance and name and troll your RP without any indication of their intention.

Remember that harassment is a petitionable offense :-)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #27 on: 15 Aug 2011, 10:28 »

There has been similar RP troll chars since day one.

Grae had a few memorable ones :D

Yep.

ofc, send me names, folks like that will be permabanned from summit at once.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #28 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:21 »

Remember that harassment is a petitionable offense :-)

Oh come on Arkady, thats the answer of the weak.

Find you whom the alt belongs to and... crush your enemies, see them run before you and hear the lamentations of their women!  :P

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #29 on: 16 Aug 2011, 05:45 »

Just an update for anyone concerned:

I was contacted by "Raze's frown" yesterday via evemail and his intentions were simply humor. Apparently Raze's ever-present frown of disapproval in the Summit was in need of serious visual aid to get the point across.

All-in-all, it was funny and now that the air is cleared about the player's intentions, it isn't a bother. I wouldn't be surprised if The Frown makes cameo appearances in the future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3